How Do You Use Your Ehd?

Becca

Recently, I ran out of room on my little 320GB portable EHD. I used this little one as an unplugged-in backup for photos, digital scrap stash, and music. I didn't keep it plugged in - it was simply a "just in case the laptop fails and takes everything with it" backup.

So now I upgraded to a Iomega Prestige 1TB EHD. And I'm thinking of keeping this one plugged in all the time, as Mozy will also back up this drive for me.

And this is my question:

Do I move all my files over to this 1TB drive and free up my laptop's harddrive space? Or do I look for some kind of software to sync the EHD with my laptop's files? What kind of software?

I'm using Windows 7 64 bit, by the way. I saw a previous post in this forum for Acronis, but reading the reviews of Acronis and Win7 isn't very pretty.

I tried SyncToy (recommended from Ro's muse awhile back), but it kept giving me errors and telling me that some of my digital scrap stash files were being used by another program at the time. They weren't. And besides, I'd really like my sync program to run flawlessly in the background - a "set it and forget it" kind of software.

Any suggestions?

Hi Becca!

Personally, I'd move what I could to the new EHD and free up laptop drive space. This might give you a little more in performance on the lappy.

I'd keep the 320Gb as a flying spare, or copy some of my more important files to it. This day and age its doubtful that if the lappy failed it would take the EHD with it, but it DOES happen.

As for backup software, afraid I cant help. But, I do only my backups manually. (discipline you know!)

Hope this helps.

Hi Becca!

Personally, I'd move what I could to the new EHD and free up laptop drive space. This might give you a little more in performance on the lappy.

I'd keep the 320Gb as a flying spare, or copy some of my more important files to it. This day and age its doubtful that if the lappy failed it would take the EHD with it, but it DOES happen.

As for backup software, afraid I cant help. But, I do only my backups manually. (discipline you know!)

Hope this helps.

That helps a lot, Dave! It's really what I've been leaning towards... moving everything to that 1TB EHD to free up my laptop space. And like you, I've been OK with manually backing up everything on my little 320 GB EHD.

I just want to be sure I'm doing the best thing to make sure I'm covered in the event that one or more of my methods fail.

So move the current laptop stuff to my new EHD. Making sure they're also backed up on my little EHD. And reconfigure Mozy to backup that new EHD, and I should be covered, right?

(BTW, for anyone looking for a EHD, Amazon has a Iomega 320 GB on sale today only for $59.99)

Reading thread with interest. Right now, I have a 500GB which I backup manually and it holds pictures, scrapgirls, and itunes also has important documents. I have a desktop and a laptop, so I use that EHD to keep both computers with the same files, figuring if one goes I have a duplicate on the other.

Now I'm thinking about this plug in EHD to run with my desktop, and free up space on my desktop, which has been getting slow and which I use more.than I do my laptop. I haven't signed up for Mosy yet, but going to. I also back up pictures and my LO's on DVD's.

If there is good sync software let me know, although manual labor doesn't bother me.

Thanks too Becca for the Amazon tip. I need to get an EHD for my DD's laptop for her to take with her to college.

I have a 500GB Passport and a 500GB Book. The Passport is velcoed to my laptop and contains all my scrapping supplies and photos. I use Mozy for my backup and periodically transfer stuff to my Book. I don't worry too much about backing up manually but am relying on Mozy for that. I would love to get a 1T Passport.

Will be interested to see what everyone says!

Archived