Digital Image Pro 9 Or A Version Of Photoshop?

Guest CamsMomma

Guest CamsMomma
I have been using Microsofts Digital Image Pro 9 for almost 2 years now. Its a good program, I know how to do alot with it (and am learning even more as i do more digi scrap), but I see all these layouts here and elsewhere that have some many cool effects that I just cant do with DIP. Or at least I dont know how to do. And I see that you can buy "add-on" effects for PS at some other sites too, which I dont think is an option with DIP.
I just want to know, is PS really that much better? Does anyone know if there are add-ons for DIP? Of the different Photoshop programs, which one would you reccomend? And lastly, if you have used both, could you tell me what the main differences are, and what extras are in PS?

Thank You So Much

I started out on the Microsoft programs, and I honestly love them. They are easy to use and fun to play with. DIP can't do some effects that you see in the same way that other programs do them.... but there are ways around DIP to get similar effects. Add-ons or effects or actions used in other programs can't work within DIP 9. But again, I don't know exactly what effects you want to recreate.

I got PSE 3.0 last year when I bought a Wacom tablet, it was a bundle and a great deal. I wanted to try them both out so that worked well. PS uses brushes kind of like stamps, loaded into the program so they are easy to get to. That is a great convienience. Also the photoshop programs have blending modes that make for some fun effects.

I then just splurged for Photoshop CS2 so I haven't played that much with Elements since then. Most people don't need quite that much of a program, and it takes a while to learn to use.

If there are specific effects you are looking to recreate I could help you figure out whether DIP can do it or not. I enjoyed working with both programs and I still go back to DIP from time to time for things that you can't do in Photoshop. So....

Not sure if that helps, but I would love to see if we could figure out new things to do in DIP. :)

Guest CamsMomma
i guess there isnt really anything specific. it just seems that the stuff i see from PS seems so much more detailed and has more depth. i saw the actions like making your fonts jelly, or making things metal or chipboard. there is a tearing thing in the edges menu of DIP, but i dont like how it looks :-(
the thing is overall, DIP is good, its easy to use, and it does a decnt job. i am starting school for graphics design in two months and may end up getting PS eventually, as it is an industry standard, but i dont know if it is worth it for me now.
i do like how the brush feature sounds in PS. i think you could probly do alot of the actions in DIP you would just have to do all the lighting/shading/transparency things manualy.

thank you lissa, and congrats on the twins!

[quote name='CamsMomma' post='52065' date='Jul 14 2006, 08:31 PM']i guess there isnt really anything specific. it just seems that the stuff i see from PS seems so much more detailed and has more depth. i saw the actions like making your fonts jelly, or making things metal or chipboard. there is a tearing thing in the edges menu of DIP, but i dont like how it looks :-(
the thing is overall, DIP is good, its easy to use, and it does a decnt job. i am starting school for graphics design in two months and may end up getting PS eventually, as it is an industry standard, but i dont know if it is worth it for me now.
i do like how the brush feature sounds in PS. i think you could probly do alot of the actions in DIP you would just have to do all the lighting/shading/transparency things manualy.

thank you lissa, and congrats on the twins![/quote]

If you are starting school soon I would wait and see what kind of deals you can get through the school on PS. I do not have that, but I got EXCELLENT software deals through the university. Particularly if you are in an arts program you might get a significant discount on Adobe. Just a thought!

Definately if you are going to be in a school program I would check out the discounts you can get, and you might get a chance to try out a new program. Speaking of which, most of the programs have a 30 day trial period. I did a trial of PSE 3, the PSCS, then PSCS2 while I was saving for the program. :)

In DIP you can create a lot of effects but you do have to do it by hand. I learned a lot that way, and just by messing with the effects menu. DIP 9 is a little limlited because it does not use Photoshop plug-ins. I use DIP 10 and they added that ability, so the 3-D effects are really only possible with the photoshop plug-ins. Within the effects filters one is called bas relief and it has a metalic effect (I believe 9 has most of the same filters). There is also a plastic wrap effect. Some of these might be fun to try out for neat text effects.

This is also where I kind of ran into a wall with DIP. I wanted to create my own stuff and I began designing. I had a little more lee-way with DIP 10 and the plug-ins, but I still hit some road blocks that made it important for me to branch out into the Photoshop line. For basic scrapping, I can find a lot of ways to work around things, but I just wanted to be able to make stuff myself. This kind of sounds like where you are too. :)

It is fun and addicting to start making your own elements for scrapping.

Good luck!

Guest CamsMomma
[quote name='LissaD' post='52083' date='Jul 14 2006, 11:07 PM']This is also where I kind of ran into a wall with DIP. I wanted to create my own stuff and I began designing. I had a little more lee-way with DIP 10 and the plug-ins, but I still hit some road blocks that made it important for me to branch out into the Photoshop line. For basic scrapping, I can find a lot of ways to work around things, but I just wanted to be able to make stuff myself. This kind of sounds like where you are too. :)

It is fun and addicting to start making your own elements for scrapping.

Good luck![/quote]

thanks ladies i didnt even think about possibly getting a discount through the school, i guess i will wait for a few more months before makng any changes.
yes, lissa, i think that where i am at, i really really love all the things other people make, but really would like to presonalize my layouts even more. there are things i see in my head, that i cant quite find by someone else. and the whole digital things has become completely addicting! i cant wait to get even more in to it!

Archived