Carbonite Vs. Mozy

My subscription to Carbonite is coming to an end and I am considering switching to Mozy - for a couple of reasons. One, when I signed up with Carbonite there was word that they were going to back up EHDs in the near future. That didn't happen in over two years. Secondly, I needed to do a couple of restores in the time I've had Carbonite. The first one was small and went very well but the second one was just about everything and it did not go easily. After it said it was done, I had to go back and check on a lot of stuff and restore several things that were missed. It took a lot of my time.

So, it is my understanding that Mozy does back up EHDs, correct? Has anyone switched from Carbonite to Mozy? If you've had to restore from Mozy, how did it go for you?

TIA

Pat,

I have both. I use Carbonite on the desktop & that is where DH works. We have not had to restore from them. I use Mozy on my EHD & laptop - I did restore files after my HD crashed. It was easy & painless & as far as I can tell I didn't loose anything (or I haven't noticed it yet). There were about 3 styles for some reason I didn't have and was able to get resent from SGs (with their awesome customer service!) but the only other things I didn't have backed up were a few files that I only saved to my computer & hadn't backed up myself & Mozy hadn't done the daily backup. Not the end of the world at all, considering what would have happened if I had not been using Mozy. I would make the switch if I were you, it is just good to know that Mozy does the EHD & it is really easy to set up what you want backed up.

I have Mozy for the EHD backup because I used to keep my scrapbooking files only on my EHD. I have had to restore twice from Mozy and everything went well. It took a long time simply because there were so many files to restore but everything was there when it finished. I've never used Carbonite so I can't say it's better but I'm quite happy with the service I've received from Mozy.

I use Mozy. Like many of you, I keep all my scrapping files, plus many others, on an EHD. Their customer service is fab! I had to contact them once for an issue I was having - my backup wasn't backing up - and they got back to me within hours, not days, and they knew exactly how to fix it without any hoop-jumping. As a former computer tech-support person and current computer semi-pro, I was completely impressed.

Carbonite, on the other hand, did not impress me. They did not impress me when I tried to do a restore of a work folder I accidentally deleted and found that they didn't have it on their server. They did not impress me when they tried to charge me extra for the support it would take to find out why their server didn't back up my files like my computer indicated it had done. They did not impress me when they said they escalated the problem to their highest level of tech support to see if the files were somewhere else on their servers and if I might possibly have a chance of getting them back, and I never heard from them again - except when they asked me if I wanted to renew my subscription.

So, yeah. I would go with Mozy.

I'll chime in here as well .... I use Mozy. Have had them for the last couple years. I waited around for about 6 or 8 months for Carbonite to support EHD (because at the time many here used them and said they were good). I finally gave up and went to Mozy so I could have EHD support (I have 2 EHDs + my internal).

I've not had to do a restore but have at 2 times had difficulties with back ups not performing. Each time my difficulties required higher level support and took a few weeks to resolve. But they were resolved AND my contract was extended by the time it took to resolve the issues. Therefore, I have been very satisfied with Mozy and continue to use them.

I have Mozy simply because they back up EHDs and that was my primary need. My first back up did take a very long time. I just let it run in the background. I set my back ups for once a week and they go really quickly now. I am very pleased overall.

Heidi, you've made a point that I forgot. Carbonite's customer service has not been good for me either. I'm definitely going with Mozy.

April, I'm sorry I missed the chat this afternoon.

I'm going to be giving that some thought too. I renewed Carbonite on my laptop not long ago, but when it expires on my desktop (soon) I'm going to go with Mozy too as I've got EHD's on my desktop.

Thank goodness, I don't have any experience with Carbonite customer service with restoring lost files! But I'll take your word for it.

I just added carbonite to my laptop, and it took over 6 weeks to back everything up. Fortunately, those items were also on another computer, but that was just SOOOO slow!

We just replaced our ancient desktop that had carbonite on it. I'd love to switch to Mozy (especially after reading the cautionary tales above!), but may have to wait until this subscription runs out.

Nancy

LOL too funny. I just had my carbonite expire the end of Febuary. Been happily waiting for it to end so i can begin a year with Mozy.

So far its doing good. I have no qualms. And am so glad to not only back up my EHD, but my NETWORK HD with all my photos too!

Angela N.

I love MoZy! I have had to do one major restore and though time consuming it did it. And it bears saying ladies - do your backups!

I was going to a crop tonight, everything had been working fine. Before I left, I checked to see that Mozy had run its backup, and I did a backup to my EHD as well. Get to the crop - nothing! My computer has a hard drive failure and will not sTART! Normally I would be pulling my hair out but I know that I've got duplicate backups so I'll be able to get the stuff I need from Mozy and Dell is sending me a new hard drive. Thank you to April and everyone else who participates in the back up chats! I don't know what I'd do if I had really LOST this stuff!

Kimberly

• 5 weeks later...

AND THIS is yet ANOTHER reason I LOVE SCRAPGIRLS! I always look to you guys when I am in a bind. I have a network set up at home. I back up to the network external which is mirrored for protection. I have been trying to talk DH into doing online backups but was not convincing enough with the whole if someone breaks in & steals our computers its all gone... until tonight. My DH's computer crashed the end of last year. We cant replace it right now. It was set up with a mirror for protection only guess what? That didn't work the entire computer crashed & when he tried to restore it, it reformated both drives & he lost EVERYTHING! But we still had the external which was also mirrored so he only lost the stuff he hadn't backed up, which was a lot, but I was in good shape. My computer backs up to the external through chronosync. Well guess what, today we found out that the external is possibly destroyed as well. Ok So tonight I said that's it, were going online & I went straight to SG to find out what to use. I am on my way to look at Mozy.

I LOVE YOU GUYS! Thanks a million & I'll let you know how it goes because I have a TON to back up. XOXO :tinkerbell:

I use both Mozy and Carbonite for both my desktop and laptop computers. I've had two hard drive crashes in the past two years, and I won't take any chances now. So since Mozy backs up EHD's, I'm staying with them and for extra protection, I'll also stay with Carbonite. I don't back up on DVD's or CD's, just don't seem to have the time, so these two off-site services work for me.

I've used Mozy since the beginning since I have a Mac and Carbonite didn't support it then. I haven't had any issues with them, although I haven't had to restore anything yet. So while I do use Mozy, I haven't used Carbonite before so I can't say which I would like better. Sorry, I know I'm no help, I just wanted to chime in, lol. :D

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I'm new to this, but my computer has turned itself off unexpectedly twice in the past 24 hours, and the growling it is making is scary, so I just purchased Mozy about 10 minutes ago and started my 4 day back-up. I'll let you all know how it goes and if the computer lives long enough for the backup to finish! Almost everything is backed up, so I'm not as concerned or panicked as I would be otherwise, but I've crashed this computer once before and had to gladly pay $60.00 to the local computer repair kid to restore a lot of my photos. Anyway, I do have a question... I'm assuming EHD stands for "external hard drive." Did I guess right? Assuming I'm right, and the EHD is hooked up during the initial back-up, will it automatically back it up, too, or do I have to do something special like click my heels together 3 times and say "I want an EHD backup" to make it happen? Your advice, as always is appreciated.

I started with Mozy so have no experience with Carbonite - after reading your entries here I'm glad I went with Mozy! I have it backing up certain file on my hard drive and my entire EHD. I specified it during set up. It is easy to add to what you want backed up.

• 2 weeks later...

Reading all about Carbonite vs Mozy is enlightening. I have Carbonite on PC about 2 years and had to have 1 complete restore, which worked out fine. But, it is almost impossible to get hold of them with any questions. It is due to renew in November and I'm thinking of changing to Mozy. My question is--should I put Mozy on before Carbonite runs out so I'll be sure all is backed up? From reading all your answers, I notice some of you only back up certain things. Why not back up everything on the computer and the EHD? I'm also hoping to get a new computer in the next few months. Can I transfer it from one to the other?

Will take note of all your answers.

Thanks,

mhr (Lynn)

I have had Carbonite for almost 2 years now and I just received an email from them yesterday asking for my input to complete a survey. They are obviously listening to the "concerns" about backing up EHDs because that was one of things included in the survey. Another thing they asked was if customers were interested in a service which would copy all of your files onto an EHD and send it to you next day in the case of a total loss/crash. It sounds like they're getting ready to make some changes and make everyone happier. They also asked about backing up mobile and/or "smart" devices. I wasn't sure what that was, but I'm assuming it has something to do with iPhones or Blackberries or something like that?

Just thought I'd let you all know.....

That is very interesting information, Karina. Thanks for sharing it. I will be interested to see if it does come to be.

I found Carbonite's customer service to be lacking, for sure. I have not had use Mozy's customer service yet (know on wood), so I can't say how good they are.

More on Mozy--they really do have great customer service. I just had an issue with Mozy. It took longer than I wanted it to take in order to get it resolved. However, it took so long because they were forwarding my issue to the same tech support rep who handled a previous issue of mine. Once he was on board, things went really well. I'm back up and running now (no pun intended LOL).

Archived