Stroke Question

mimes1

Hi everyone -

I am making strokes on a layout, and after I am all done, I am finding that the strokes are showing shadows on them. At first I made the strokes on their own layer, and the shadow, (a bevel almost) was pretty obvious. So on another layout, I decided to put the stroke right on the photo layer, instead of on its own. Although still very subtle, it's still there. I am completely befuddled as to how or why this happens, and more importantly how to either fix it or prevent it in the first place. Any one have any ideas?

Thanks so much!

Oh, yeah, I'm using CS4 now!

When you have the strokes on their own layer, are you checking the layer in the Layers Palette to make sure that it's not automatically applying a previously used bevel/shadow style to that stroke layer? Sometimes PS does that on its own. If that's the case, just right-click on the layer & select "Clear Layer Style" from the popup menu.

If that's not the issue, then maybe it's stray pixels that you're noticing? What resolution are you working in? Try working in high resolution (300), then saving at a lower resolution (if that's what needed for output). That will help to prevent stray pixels, where your lines should be nice and crisp.

Those are the 2 things that come to mind.... if it's not one of those, I'd have to see a screenshot.

Would saving it in different file formats create any issues? Usually I create in 300ppi, then change after it's all done for uploading. For SG stuff I always save in Jpg, but sometimes for personal albums I save as a Tff. Should that make any difference?

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll look at the layers and see what I can see.

Yay! I figured it out! When I bring my object into my layout as a smart object,(File>place) the strokes I then apply are clean and crisp. If I drag the item into the layout , when I stroke it, there is a single pixel width of ghosting. Yay! I figured it out! I am sooooo happy!

New Info! The last time I hadn't really figured it out afterall. NOW I've figured it out! Really. After working with it some more, those pesky lines were still a problem. I kept at it, searching the adobe help options. Finally. I stumbled upon something else, I tried it, and it worked. Here is what I did. When I drew my shape, I didnt just draw my shape with the shape tool . I went to the "fill" option on the shape tool, set my anti-aliance to the Off position. Also, in the same menu up at the top of the workspace where you click on the fill option, to the right there is a little down arrow. When I clicked on that, a rectngle options box pops up. I clicked on "Snap to Pixel" in that box. Then I did a test, added my stroke, and sure enough, clean crisp lines. I knew it had to be a setting somewhere! I so happy I found it! For Real this time! (When I am seeing these lines I am enlarging way big before I see them, but when I'm printing they are showing up there. So it's a subtlety that my OCD brain needed to take care of! Hopefully someone else can learn from my patient frustration too! LOL~

Archived