8 replies to this topic

#1 Carmencitaliana

Carmencitaliana

Scrap Girl Messageboard Wise One

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,286 posts

Posted 21 March 2010 - 01:52 AM

Hi, am out of sorts trying to figure out how to place paper or photo onto template(s) (in Psp x1) files so that they go exactly in place without having to 'finagle' for hours trying to place the paper or whatever onto the template. I've read Dee's Psp template for mask, but that's not exactly the same, I don't think...right? can't seem to figure out Posted Image Also would like to know what is the purpose of using 'clear clipboard'? Thanks in advance for ur help! I need STEP by STEP directions...Posted Image
Posted Image

#2 Sarah in VA

Sarah in VA

MAD (Mid Atlantic Digital) Scrapper

• Members
  • 5,465 posts

Posted 21 March 2010 - 09:44 AM

Hi, I'll see if I can help you out here. It might help if you'd tell us exactly what templates you are using. For now, I'm supposing you have a template with lots of .png files which are varying shades of black, gray and white. And yes, I agree, it is sometimes frustrating to get all those layers with .png files lined up correctly. (You know they don't have to be exact, don't you?)

However there is an easier way to go. Most designers also include a .psd file which has all the layers in all their proper places (unlike the separate .png files which will end up all being centered when you add them to your document.) PSP is capable of opening the .psd files! Once it's opened you can then work with it and save it either as a .pspimage file, or a .psd file.

Another option is to use a PSP script Dee Decker has developed just for this purpose. And the best part is that it's free! Go to the Boutique and click on the Freebies and there should be two at the bottom. One for rectangles and one for squares.

If you already have the template .png files lined up as you like them and are just having trouble getting the paper and/or photos into the proper places, that is another process. You need to copy the paper and/or photo you are using and place it as a new layer "above" the layer you want it on. Then there are several methods to "clip" it to the shape of the .png file. I usually use the Magic Wand tool.

With the paper/photo in the layer above, turn off the visibility of the paper. Then making sure the .png file of the template is the active layer, select all of it with the Magic Wand. Then go to your paper/photo layer, making it the active layer and click on the eye making it visible. Go to Selections, click on Invert and then hit your delete key. The paper/photo should now be the shape of the .png file underneath and you can delete the .png file.

Let us know if this helps. Don't want you to be out of sorts!
Posted Image
This Beautiful Signature by Jennifer Z. Thanks!

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#3 KarinaS

KarinaS

Margarita Mama!

• Members
  • 3,019 posts
  • Personal Statement:If a doctor tells you to have a colonoscopy, PLEASE do not put it off - make an appointment TODAY.

Posted 21 March 2010 - 11:44 AM

I just use File>Place and the files stack perfectly right on top of one another. Then I resize everything together. I don't know if PSP has File>Place, however....
Posted Image
Siggie by Rosemary-with a tiny touch added by me ;)

I use PSE 6.0 & Vista

Colorectal cancer awareness-please schedule your colonoscopy today
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Please visit my gallery

#4 Vaughnde

Vaughnde

Quietly Crochetin' and Scrappin'

• Members
  • 31,085 posts

Posted 21 March 2010 - 01:05 PM

PSP does not have file place Karina :) But Sarah is right...use the PSD files if they come with what you are using. If its an older file that does not have psd files then bring up the picture of how the template should be and then carefully put it into place using the move tool each time.
Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

My SG Gallery My Blog I scrap with PSPX1

#5 Carmencitaliana

Carmencitaliana

• Members
  • 2,286 posts

Posted 21 March 2010 - 01:38 PM

Hi Girls,
Thanks for your suggestions. I failed to mention that I just discovered I'm able to use the PSD files...they line up in layers palette! How great is that?!...
I am leaving in a short while so I am not able to work on this right away...but I truly am grateful for your help. Sarah and V, you're sweethearts. Thanks again.
ciao

Ps. Would you tell me why one must 'clear the clipboard'? Is there a book I can pick up that is PSP for 'dummies'?LOLPosted Image ! Thanks.
Posted Image

#6 KarinaS

KarinaS

Margarita Mama!

• Members
  • 3,019 posts
  • Personal Statement:If a doctor tells you to have a colonoscopy, PLEASE do not put it off - make an appointment TODAY.

Posted 21 March 2010 - 01:42 PM

PSP does not have file place Karina :) But Sarah is right...use the PSD files if they come with what you are using. If its an older file that does not have psd files then bring up the picture of how the template should be and then carefully put it into place using the move tool each time.

Okay, good to know that, Vaughnde; thanks! I will try to remember not to steer PSP users in that direction ;)
Posted Image
Siggie by Rosemary-with a tiny touch added by me ;)

I use PSE 6.0 & Vista

Colorectal cancer awareness-please schedule your colonoscopy today
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Please visit my gallery

#7 Carmencitaliana

Carmencitaliana

• Members
  • 2,286 posts

Posted 21 March 2010 - 04:10 PM

IT WORKED! Posted Image Posted Image Thank you, thank you, thank you!Posted Image Posted Image
Posted Image

#8 Sarah in VA

Sarah in VA

MAD (Mid Atlantic Digital) Scrapper

• Members
  • 5,465 posts

Posted 21 March 2010 - 05:16 PM

Carmen, there are a lot of good books for PSP users. I'm not at home right now, so can't give you exact titles and authors, but I'll check out amazon.com to see if I see anything that rings a bell.

And if you haven't noticed, Ro has a Secrets Revealed series of videos here in the Boutique specifically for PSPX - which will work for any PSP X series. I had used PSP years for web graphics and such, but never realized how useful it would be for digital scrapping until I got these videos. Very much worth having.

And always, if you have a question, just ask here. We'll do all we can to help you over a hurdle! And usually learn something ourselves in the process!
Posted Image
This Beautiful Signature by Jennifer Z. Thanks!

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#9 Lucy's Mama

Lucy's Mama

Good Scrapper

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 21 March 2010 - 07:40 PM

Hi Carmen:

When you copy layers, they pile up on the clipboard, using up your memory. Clearing the clipboard periodically helps free up that space (and for me, helped me not crash sometimes.

Good luck!
Posted Image

[url=http://scrapgirls.com.ipbhost.com/index.php?automodule=gallery&req=user&user=7814]My Gallery

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users