Small Light Camera

Guest TonyaKaye

Guest TonyaKaye

I am looking for a small light camera to carry in my purse..for those "surprise" photo opportunity times. Nothing too fancy as I still have not quite mastered the Cannon Rebel that hubby purchased a couple of years ago for me. It will be used while in a boat, so water splashes could be a small concern at times. I would like to keep it around/under $200. Is that even possible? Does anyone have any suggestions?

I bought a little Fuji FinePix Z33WP, that I like a lot. It takes very nice photos, is waterproof, and I paid under $200 for it. Like most little cameras, it doesn't have a very powerful zoom, which is the only problem that I have with it at all. I have been in a few situations where I wished I had brought my DSLR with the powerful zoom. But this one is great for carrying in my purse, so I take it everywhere I don't want to take the big camera. Have fun shopping.

We bought DD a Nikon Coolpix 640 for Christmas ... was about $240. Love it. It is the only P&S camera I have found with nearly DSLR shutter response (almost zero delay between pushing the button and it taking the picture). Vry small it could fit in a man's shirt pocket.

The ONE thing I don't like about it is the lack of a viewfinder but when I was researching these cameras for her I found that the only one that really makes P&S with viewfinders anymore is Canon and the reviews basically said the viewfinder was too small to be useful.

HTHs!

I have the Canon Powershot Digital Elph. This is the third one I've had (all the others still work fine, I just upgraded and passed along the older ones.) It is the size of a deck of cards. I've seen some at the price you are looking at. I use the viewfinder when I'm in the sun or need that extra stability. The viewfinder doesn't exactly match the photo. It shows a bit smaller area than the screen, so when you use it your photos may have a little extra on the edges. I have been really happy with mine and would buy the same kind again. I just bought a handbag that will fit my dslr though, so maybe I won't need to upgrade it. ;)

Guest TonyaKaye

Fuji FinePix Z33WP - I will check into this. I know (now showing my age) that Fuji made good film.

Nikon Coolpix 640 I will also looking to this one . I have seen the coolpix advertised a lot in our Sunday papers.

Canon Powershot Digital Elph .. hmm I had not seen this one yet. Will check it out also. I carry a very small purse, and hope not to have to go any bigger .. (Don't like to carry one .. am always leaving it!) DH usually ends up with it . Any you KNOW it never goes with his outfits!

Thanks for your input. There are soooo many out there and I appreciate your comments. This will give me a starting place to do some research.

Archived