Question About Making Stuff

Guest HMHeather

Guest HMHeather
OK, so I know that if I make elements, papers, whatever to sell, I have to get a commercial license. Well, that's a LONG way off for me! If I'm just making stuff to practice and want to share with others, do I need the commercial license?????? I'm confused and REALLY don't want to upset anyone anywhere!

[quote name='HMHeather' post='52966' date='Jul 22 2006, 12:09 AM']OK, so I know that if I make elements, papers, whatever to sell, I have to get a commercial license. Well, that's a LONG way off for me! If I'm just making stuff to practice and want to share with others, do I need the commercial license?????? I'm confused and REALLY don't want to upset anyone anywhere![/quote]

Here is my understanding, and please correct me if I'm wrong. If you want to make a PROFIT from your scrapsimple supplies, then you need that license. If you are going to make stuff from the scrapsimple lines or scrapgirls lines and then make layouts or craft project to GIVE to someone, then that is perfectly legal. What we don't want you to do is to say, give RAW product to anyone. They need to buy their own if they want to do their OWN scrapping. But you are allowed to make anything with the products, and give the projects as gifts.

You may share your completed layouts or completed art projects, but you can't share, loan, give, etc. your materials. For example, with a ScrapSimple product, you are more than welcome to make papers and such for your own use. You can use these in layouts or other art projects and share those completed projects with others. But, you can't make a paper (or whatever) with ScrapSimple products and then give the paper (or whatever) to someone -- this would violate our copyright. You also can't share non-ScrapSimple products (unless it is shared in a layout or other completed art project). The products you buy or those that you create with ScrapSimple products are for your use only. Let us know if you have any other questions.

See, the regular supplies you purchase, without a Commercial License, are meant for personal use only. As soon as you share the supplies with someone else, it stops being personal use. Even if you're giving it away for free.

So, let's say you make a paper using a ScrapSimple template. Great! You use it on your layouts, and you can post the layout online or give to a friend. But you CAN'T give (or sell) the paper you made to a friend, or away online, without having purchased the Commercial License. Because once it stops being just you with access to that paper, it stops being personal use.

Clear as mud?

Guest HMHeather
[quote name='scrapdiva73' post='52997' date='Jul 22 2006, 10:14 AM']You may share your completed layouts or completed art projects, but you can't share, loan, give, etc. your materials. For example, with a ScrapSimple product, you are more than welcome to make papers and such for your own use. You can use these in layouts or other art projects and share those completed projects with others. But, you can't make a paper (or whatever) with ScrapSimple products and then give the paper (or whatever) to someone -- this would violate our copyright. You also can't share non-ScrapSimple products (unless it is shared in a layout or other completed art project). The products you buy or those that you create with ScrapSimple products are for your use only. Let us know if you have any other questions.[/quote]

Thank you! That is exactly what I needed to know! I want to start making stuff, and would LIKE to be able to give things away so others can give feedback and whatnot, but I do NOT want to upset anyone who puts their HARD work and time into creating templates and such. Now that I've started creating things, I have SO much more respect for designers! That's not to say I didn't have respect before, but DANG this is NOT easy!

Archived