Can't Stop Thinking About Cs5!

PattyBee

And I so want to be on that mailing list to receive it! I am still using CS3 and love it. I saw CS4 improvements and thought, hmm those are kinda nice upgrades, but nothing I can't do without. BUT CS5 has some REALLY neat new stuff. I'm sure many of you have already seen the teasers, but if you haven't here my own summary of the neatest of the NEATO new features:

1. Content Aware Fill - Oh man, this feature alone is so incredibly awesome. It has such a boring title, but what it can DO is amazing. It's sorta like the patch tool - but with brains! It doesn't just sample from nearby sources in hit-or miss style, it samples from the best similar spots according to both color and texture and from several spots simultaneously and then blends it all together... IN SECONDS! Here's just one of many videos that show it's bodaciousness

Explains how it works and what it can do:

Shows lots more examples of it in action:

2. Mixer Paint Brush

The ability to actually smear and blend paint on the screen just like you would on a canvas or on your real-life paint-palette. Very nifty!

3. High Dynamic Range Imaging (HDR)

Takes a blend of several photos of the same image with different F-stop settings and the blends them smartly to produce a composite image with zero blown highlights, and zero dead-black spaces. The perfectly lighted image with clear details in every corner! Previously, I might have attempted this by creating several versions of my image adjusted through levels and curves, and the masked out the worst parts to create my own composite. It would have taken a long time though and still not looked this sweet! Remember this "look" since it's likely to really flood the internet more than it already has.

4. Puppet Warp

If you ever wished to have more than just a 3x3 grid for warping.. this allows all that plus so much more as well. It just unreal. I especially like the rope trick demonstrated in the video. Since it works best with items on a transparent background, I'm imagining all those pngs I have that would be perfect for playing with this.

5. Faster Image Processing

Will be able to process images 10x faster, IF you have a 64 bit computer (which I do, and kept thinking was quite useless up till now).

Apparently the upgrade cost is about $199 for anyone who already owns CS2 or higher and they will start shipping in about a month. I'm not a designer but I can imagine that designers will want to really jump on this in order to create the newest variety of products with the newest tools.

6. Oh did I mention that starting in CS5 you can now create your own Customized Palettes? It's like putting all the tools you think you'll need for a certain "job" into a tray before working. Like maybe a "Photo Retouching Palette".

7. Oh, oh.. and even Better Selection Tools that know how to deal with hair!

Sigh... I'm just a lowly mom with lots of kids, who treats herself to "playing" in Photoshop during her freetime. And I've been reading up on CS5 for hours and drooling. It's not likely that I'll get a copy of it myself anytime soon anyway, so I thought I'd share what I learned with you ladies and maybe live vicariously through you. <smirk>

-Patty

I am trying now to figure out how I can get this my self! I am so looking forward to it! Imagine the possiblitlies! We all will be such fabulous photographers and so many cool things ! Wahoo!!

I put in my pre-order today. Yes the price hurt but my ultimate goal is to become a digital scrapbook designer. I have 4.5 years left til I retire and I want to start learning now. The only thing I'll need next is time to learn how to do this and still work 40 hrs/week for the next 4.5 years. But I shall persevere.

DragonsLady

Oh I forgot something else!! CS5 now has a Mini-Bridge Panel, which can docked in the layers palette or even placed at the bottom of the screen and allows you to browse through images filmstrip-style and drag and drop from the panel up to your document.

Hmm... sounds kinda like a PHOTO BIN!! Yes, as someone who started off in PSE and has been using CS3 for years now... I STILL miss that darn thing.

But it's back! Whee!!

Right about the upgrade, but there are those of us that haven't got any version to upgrade. So with a student ID you can get it for $199. That covers my house, I have three students still in school!! And my son has shown interest in photography, he took his hard earned money (Christmas gift money-lol) and bought his first camara!

Patsy,

Ah, I misunderstood. Sorry about that.

Yes, I first got CS3 because I homeschool and used my HSLDA membership card to get the educational discount.

Do you, or anyone else know if the upgrade version is also discounted thay way?

If so, I'm not finding the info anywhere?

Just found the answer on their website. The Ed discount is only for the full versions of their programs.

So If I do manage to scrape up the $199 I guess this means that my 14 yr old daughter can then have my CS3

installed on her school computer. She uses PSE 7 now.

I'm definitely upgrading this time around, too. I promised the hubby when I bought Photoshop CS3 that I'd only upgrade every other version. I'm so glad that Adobe gives you the option to skip upgrades and still get the upgrade price!

Amazon has the pre-order upgrade for $199 or the Extended upgrade for $349. Anyone know the major differences between the regular and Extended versions?

I'm almost sorry I stumbled on this topic. Now I'm coveting CS5. Actually, thanks for making me aware of all the great new features. I wasn't even looking into it since I haven't had CS4 for that long. Maybe I will have to look at doing an every other update, but I sure want those new features.

I currently use CS3, but can't wait to upgrade to CS5. I'm pretty excited to try it out, all of the new features sounds awesome!!

I got to see the great new features at PSW in March and so the minute of the launch I preordered mine. I'm back in school now so with the student discount, I'm able to get the master suite (totally out of reach without the discount). Can barely wait a couple of more weeks to get it. I think the content aware heal will be something I'll use everyday. Puppet wrap looks very cool too. There are more, many more things that are so fantastic. I'm very excited about it.

Archived