Anyone Already Playing With Cs5

Heather09

Ro, thanks for the great feedback! That drag and drop feature sounds really nice! However, the plugin issue is very disconcerting!

I am also one of those who didn't upgrade from CS3 so I'm going to be waiting to hear everyone's verdict.

Thank you all for your thoughts. Laurel, the ability to have different setups for different uses sounds interesting. Like you ladies, I think I'll just have to download the trial and see how I like it to know if I'll be upgrading from CS3.

I'd love to hear any other feedback you may have as you continue to play.

Heather, you can save a workspace in earlier versions of PS and I think that is what Laurel is talking about. In CS3 you set up your tools and pallets where you'd like them and then choose Window > Workspace > Save Workspace and give your new workspace a name.

Thank you all for your thoughts. Laurel, the ability to have different setups for different uses sounds interesting. Like you ladies, I think I'll just have to download the trial and see how I like it to know if I'll be upgrading from CS3.

I'd love to hear any other feedback you may have as you continue to play.

Heather, you can save a workspace in earlier versions of PS and I think that is what Laurel is talking about. In CS3 you set up your tools and pallets where you'd like them and then choose Window > Workspace > Save Workspace and give your new workspace a name.

Actually, there are different setups in CS5 that change your presets for you based on what you're doing. There's one for photography, one for design, one for painting, one called "Essentials", etc. It's pretty sweet!

I had a bit of trouble with my extractions tonight - it is a little different and it just wouldn't work right for me - so I went back to my CS4 and did it there - I will figure it out eventually - anyone else had this problem or is it just me?

This thread continues to have me excited to try CS5, I haven't yet downloaded the trial, but hope too this weekend.

I had ordered mine and since I now qualify for the student version, I was able to get a great deal, but....Adobe had to take their sweet time to verify my student status so I just got my serial numbers about 11:30 last night. So today is installing and playing and seeing if it really is as terrific as the hype. Can't wait to try that content aware fill and healing.

I had ordered mine and since I now qualify for the student version, I was able to get a great deal, but....Adobe had to take their sweet time to verify my student status so I just got my serial numbers about 11:30 last night. So today is installing and playing and seeing if it really is as terrific as the hype. Can't wait to try that content aware fill and healing.

Oh Sandi, you're going to love it! :yippee: sending you an email!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Peppi

I don't know if you figured out the scripts meanwhile. I am on a PC with Vista and copied mine to the following location and they work

C:/Program Files/Adobe/Adobe Photoshop CS5/Presets/Scripts

If Photoshop is open you need to restart it.

I'm really starting to save up money for my copy. It still might be two months before I have enough so I don't want to download the trial and then not have the money yet to keep it when the time runs out. So I'm going to really watch this thread! I'd hate to not have my scanner so I'll need to figure out how to make that work. And I LOVE my scripts. I'm on a PC with Windows 7 so hopefully I won't have any trouble with it (like Caroline didn't.)

One of the things I'm trying to decide is weather or not it's worth upgrading to PSCS5 Extended. Does anyone know the differences between CS5 and the Extended versions? Is it worth the extra $150 I'd need to fork out? It looks like there are some cool 3D features but other than that I don't know what it offers that different/better. I don't use Illustrator or InDesign or anything like that so I'm just talking about PS. Anyone know?

I went from CS3 windows to CS5 Mac. and they let me keep my CS3 which I use in VMwarefusion.

I was so happy that they let me keep my windows CS3. *New Mac owner. The only catch was I couldn't use CS5 on another computer. Well, I only own 1 mac. so that works for me.

I'm still trying to figure everything out. My mom has CS5 now too and she is having a hayday! She does more photography than scrapbooking but she is loving it. I still have to catch up on all the tutorials she's been sending me.

I'm glad I have it but I have a lot of learning to do.

:dancingstickman:

I've been playing with CS5 for about a week now, and I love it! I like the new Adjustments palette and the cloning brush where you can see what's being brushed before clicking.

The tabbed files takes some time to get used to. I'm so used to opening up a layered PSD file of a SS Emb or something and dragging it into my layout. The tabbed files makes me take another step to do this, but it's OK. And I've accidently closed the entire program once or twice, thinking I was just closing one of the open files.

Shari, I looked up the differences between Extended and not. From what I saw, it wasn't worth the extra money for the Extended features. At least not from the digital scrapping point of view. It's mostly for creating 3D visual effects and the like. I guess if you're a designer, it may be worth it, but for me who has no intentions of becoming one, it wasn't.

The tabbed files takes some time to get used to. I'm so used to opening up a layered PSD file of a SS Emb or something and dragging it into my layout. The tabbed files makes me take another step to do this, but it's OK. And I've accidently closed the entire program once or twice, thinking I was just closing one of the open files.

Becca,

I only have CS4, but you can change the tabbed thingy by going to the menu bar at the top of the window. There are some little icons up there that give menus when you click them. The one to the right of the hands and magnifiying glass will give you options for the windows in the workspace. Float all is like the "cascade" option, so your windows will not be tabbed.

There's a way to change it in your preferences menu, too.

HTH.

I recently upgraded from PSE6 on my macbook pro to CS5 and I am at such a loss! I open a "new" document in CS5 like I used to do, I size it to 12X12 and have background transparent. I then open a .jpg of paper and when it opens my blank document disappears and I can't drag the paper onto my blank document. Is there somewhere that I should go to on this site to get a basic understanding of CS that anyone can recommend. Thank you so much for your time!!

Suzanne

Champlin, MN

Ok, I've had it awhile now and haven't had as much time with it as I'd like, but so far I'm enthralled. Wow! Everyday I watch a new tutorial and its so amazing. Suzanne, I am not sure exactly what is going on but I'll try to look at it this evening and see what it might be. I think I had a similar problem when I first used CS4 and it was some very simple setting change, but off the top of my head, I don't remember what. Hopefully, someone will be able to get you going fast. The learning curve for switching from PSE to PS is steep at first, but once you get used to it, its awesome. hang in there.

Ok, I've had it awhile now and haven't had as much time with it as I'd like, but so far I'm enthralled. Wow! Everyday I watch a new tutorial and its so amazing. Suzanne, I am not sure exactly what is going on but I'll try to look at it this evening and see what it might be. I think I had a similar problem when I first used CS4 and it was some very simple setting change, but off the top of my head, I don't remember what. Hopefully, someone will be able to get you going fast. The learning curve for switching from PSE to PS is steep at first, but once you get used to it, its awesome. hang in there.

Thanks so much! I remember when I started with PSE it was a bit tricky at first so I am sure I will get the hang and appreciate anyone's assistance. Have a great night!

Suzanne, I suspect your files are being opened in tabs across the top of the workspace - kind of like the tabs on your Internet browser. It looks like there is only one item open, but in reality the other things are there, they're just in their own tabs. Does that make sense?

To see if this is the case, have both your new document and your JPG paper open in CS5, like you have described. Then go to Window> Arrange> Float All In Windows. If you truly do have both documents open, they will then appear as separate windows in the workspace, more like what you're used to in PSE.

You can change the default if you prefer to have documents open in their own windows rather than tabs. To do this, go to Edit> Preferences> Interface, and then uncheck the option to Open Documents as Tabs.

I actually prefer the tabs. It did take some getting used to, but now I feel it's less cluttered with the tabs.

I hope this helps solve your problem! And have SO MUCH FUN with CS5!

The software is absolutely FUN FUN FUN!!!!!!!!! can not reccomend it more highly (not that that counts!!!) It truely is a blast! I have actually went out and bought a small tiny lap top to play hooked it to my monitor and Whola!!!!

I was able to play with the cs5 on my 32 bit machine to ladies, I there is a question now when you upgrade do you want to install the the 32or64 bit.

Also Beccaa wahoooooo....... I had to install the CS3 on my new lap top to use the upgrade on my new one!! I left CS3 on the tower to of my desk top why not who knows who might want to play with it at my house? right?

Suzanne, I suspect your files are being opened in tabs across the top of the workspace - kind of like the tabs on your Internet browser. It looks like there is only one item open, but in reality the other things are there, they're just in their own tabs. Does that make sense?

To see if this is the case, have both your new document and your JPG paper open in CS5, like you have described. Then go to Window> Arrange> Float All In Windows. If you truly do have both documents open, they will then appear as separate windows in the workspace, more like what you're used to in PSE.

You can change the default if you prefer to have documents open in their own windows rather than tabs. To do this, go to Edit> Preferences> Interface, and then uncheck the option to Open Documents as Tabs.

I actually prefer the tabs. It did take some getting used to, but now I feel it's less cluttered with the tabs.

I hope this helps solve your problem! And have SO MUCH FUN with CS5!

Heidi!

Thank you so much! That solved my problem! I still need to do some playing around to see how to change the default and get a sense of how it all works with tabs but truly truly appreciate your marvelous instructions! I knew you Scrap Girls would come through for me! Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Watching this thread closely. I'm still on the fence about upgrading to CS5. I skipped CS4, so I had intentions of upgrading this go-round.

Our desktop can't handle the upgrade to CS5 (couldn't handle CS4 either actually), so I have a question. If I upgrade on the laptop to CS5, can I still leave version CS3 alone on the desktop? They share the same license.

FWIW, my husband stopped at CS3 which he has on his laptop. I put CS4 on my desktop and laptop, registered, activated, etc., with no repercussions from Adobe. I plan to do the same thing with CS5, so I don't think it will be a problem.

Laylajean

• 4 weeks later...

I've got it installed. So far I've enjoyed the painting feature some (uses a lot of RAM so be prepared for that).

I have not enjoyed the fact that a lot of plugins that came with prior versions are not included - such as the all important TWAIN plug-in. (I can't connect to my scanner.) Adobe lists a whole mess of plugins that will have to be added via download. Prior versions of the plugins won't work. Even worse: The link they give on their website to get to the updated plugins (such as TWAIN) isn't working. It reroutes to Adobe.com.

So no scanning for me in PSCS5 until that is fixed.

Article about the plugins:

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/828/cpsid_82824.html

Good thing: If you drag and drop supplies from another window (or on top of a layout, PS CS5 puts the file name in as the layer name. This is because it creates the layer as a smart object.

Dragging and dropping from within the workspace doesn't copy the file to the layer name.

Do I like CS5? Do I think it's worth the upgrade? The jury is still out. If they fix the plugin issue soon, it will help improve my attitude quite a bit.

Ro,

I am new here and just came across this thread. I am not sure if this has already been answered but yesterday when I was doing some searching for the adobe optional plugins I came across this link which allows you to download the optional Twain plugin for CS5. Hope this helps:

Twain Plugin Click Here

I think I'm going to do that, but might await until the weekend before I do. I thought there were a couple girls who were downloading the free trail last week, I was hoping they would tell me it's awesome and give me the little extra push to download and start playing.

Heather, it IS awesome - go for it! I am still learning some of the new functions but I love it already and I've been using CS software since it first came out and have upgraded each time, I think. You just have to try the trial at least.

BUT I do agree with Ro - I can't scan from of it because of the no TWAIN - and that is one feature I do not like - I always used it to scan before - so now have a little scan program that I bought that is compatible with my scanner and it takes double work, but I scan, save, and place where I want.

I just downloaded the trial version of CS5 Extended. I've been playing around with it and it is quite different from my PSE8. As for scanning, I use my Brother MFC to scan photos into my computer. Can I not still do that with CS5 being on my computer? Not familiar with Twain. I know that CS5 overrides PSE, so I when I want to open something I have to use the 'open with' function.

I don't know if I really need CS5, but I just wanted to see what CS5 was about. Saw it on eBay for about $135 and that is where I'll go to buy it. I've bought software, PSE5, 7 and 8 on ebay and haven't had any problems. I buy my ink for my printers there and I save a lot of money.

What is 'content-aware fill'.

I haven't played with many of the new features in CS5 yet but I believe that means if you have something in s photo that you want to take out (like a person or powerline) then you use that tool and it will fill in based on the background. It's very cool!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived