Organizing ?

sjmjsmom

I am new here, I digi scrapped for a while, but then life got in the way and I stopped. I've done a few lo's since I started back up, but decided to organize a little better this time around before I really get back into it. I dl Picassa and didn't like it, so uninstalled it. Then I found the thread on Picassa and dl it again! I love it. Your guys tips answered all my questions from my first try at Picassa. I had even gone to another forum but could not get the answers I needed, that's why I uninstalled it. Anyway, I'm way off subject!

I really want to keep my kits together and not split them up. To you ladies that organize this way what are the categories that you have to organize your kits? Do you go by color or do you go by Theme like Winter, Holidays, Baby stuff? Does that make sense?

TIA!!

Amy

I have one folder with all the collections in them. The contents of each collection are in one folder (the only sub-folder in each is the alpha folder). I have the file names start with the designer initials (like ABR for Angie Briggs) and then sort the files by name. I'm a dork and have them sorted in another folder by type too- using Ro's system, but that is just me. :) You'll find the system that works best for you.

I do Ro's method.... where all the ribbons are together, all the buttons are together. I started like April... but as i got more experianced in scrapping i started to use pieces from all kinds of kits.... Here is a link to Ro's method (which as my stash has grown, mine has chnaged a bit... a few new folders!)

Ro's Method of Managing your Digital supplies

hope that helps

Angela

I do break up my collections into Papers, Word Art, Embellishments, Alphas, etc, but place them in folders with the designers initials (as April mentioned.) So I would have folders like ABR_DayToDay_Papers, ABR_DayToDay_Emb, etc. I use Picasa and love it.

• 3 months later...

I have all my supplies organized in folders and sub folders. Now all I need is some software or add in that will allow me to view PSD files, brushes, and pattern files etc....in windows explorer. Is there such a thing? I figured if anyone would know, it would be one of you. Oh I hope, I hope.

Sandy

There are psd viewers. In early versions of Photoshop, they showed up just fine, but Adobe changed some registry things so they won't show up anymore without some type of add on. There are several ways to do it. I have done it on my laptop, but not my desktop. I'll have to go turn it on to see what I did. :)

Well I just bought ACDSEE PRO 3 to solve this problem. I hope i got the right one for scrapbook stuff. I can now view brushes and psd file thumbnails but nothing else. One thing I already don't care much for about this program is it doesn't show .png files transparent. Is there a setting within the program that can change this?

Thanks for you help

Sandy

I have the answer....

There is a download that it the first thing that shows when you search "psd thumbnail viewer" in google. The first post is by singh 400 and he has a download that will fix it. I've scanned it for viruses and there were none. Bob opened up the files to see what they really do, and there isn't a problem. :) I couldn't get the download in the first post to work today, but there is another link in post #46 of the thread that did work. The only problem I've found is that some people can't unzip the rar file. You can use winrar or a little free program called 7 zip that you can install to do that. Bob uses 7-zip at work all the time, so that is what I installed. Once you've unzipped the file, read the txt document for instructions. It was really easy to do and worked. I am running XP, but there are people who have it working in vista. I didn't read the whole thread carefully enough to remember if it works in Windows 7 as well. I love being able to see my psd files though.

I downloaded the 7 zip and the psd thumbnail viewer but the viewer file is unknown and windows asks for a program to open it in. i read through the threads and went to links of more threads but wasn't able to use the download. i have been playing with this acdsee pro 3 all afternoon and it is fast and shows thumbnails of brushes and .psd files. i am sure it does much more than that. i am going to troll the forum and see what everyone has to say about acdsee pro 3.

i appreciate your help April.

Sandy

• 1 month later...

How do you all organize your styles and tools, and if they are organized, how do you load your favorites when you need them? I am using PSE6 and find that I have so many styles and actions, etc. that I do not use all the time, and it slows Adobe in its start up mode. I just want the computer to move a bit faster and to see only the styles I might be interested in using, rather than all of them at once.

I'm not a good one to answer your question Beth since I use Photoshop. I've read how several people here have combined all the glitter styles, for instance, into one loaded style, but in PS, they are so much easier to load. I just drop them in as I need them. I'll dig around a little for the thread.

Someone had a topic a year or so ago (maybe longer?) about creating files 'using' each Style and then bringing them into her LO's and using the 'copy style' command to apply it to a new layer. That way, you don't have to load the Styles into PSE6. I can't remember if she saved them as psd files or tiff files--and I can NEVER find that information when I want it! Anybody remember?

Here's the post containing the tricks I figured out for Saving styles and/or Hue/Saturation settings for re-use, and then being able to copy the layer into a new layout and "clone" the style: http://scrapgirls.com.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=47424&pid=847571&st=0entry847571. The directions are in replies #3 and #6. Hope this helps--is this what you were looking for, Jster025?

I have just re-organized all my SG-supplies!!! Again... :hit-head-with-hammer:

When I first started digiscrapping, I had a separate folder for every designer at SG.

Then I re-did everything a couple of years ago and put all the kits in one folder, all the separate paper-packs in one and so on.

And without saying too much - I have an almost obscene collection of SG-supplies...

I find myself scrolling and scrolling and scrolling to find that particular collection which I've forgotten the name of, by a specific designer, that I'm sure of contains a paper or element I'm looking for...

So, I'm back to my initial system!

Because I'm usually pretty sure of which designer's style or supplies I'm looking for.

Now I go straight to that designer's folder and pull whatever I need!

Styles/Actions and LO Templates I still keep all together in separate folders regardless of designer.

BTW - it was a blast going through all my kits/collections and see all the beautiful work done by the designers here - past and present! :2468who-do-we-appreciate:

I have one folder with all the collections in them. The contents of each collection are in one folder (the only sub-folder in each is the alpha folder). I have the file names start with the designer initials (like ABR for Angie Briggs) and then sort the files by name. I'm a dork and have them sorted in another folder by type too- using Ro's system, but that is just me. :) You'll find the system that works best for you.

Me too - but want to use Ro's method - just takes so much time and right now I don't have the time and night time is not the time to do it - maybe one day.

• 2 weeks later...

When I was using PSE I used the method in the thread April gave you and organized my styles. I thought it worked very well. In fact, now that I'm using PS CS5 I still keep mine organized in groups, because I find it convenient, and it's what I'm used to.

As for collections, I keep the new clubs all together for a while. Other collections get broken up and put in files, such as Flowers, Frames etc. With Picasa it is so easy to bring up everything in a collection even if they're not stored together.

How do you all organize your styles and tools, and if they are organized, how do you load your favorites when you need them? I am using PSE6 and find that I have so many styles and actions, etc. that I do not use all the time, and it slows Adobe in its start up mode. I just want the computer to move a bit faster and to see only the styles I might be interested in using, rather than all of them at once.

I upgraded to PSCS cause I didnot want to load all styles everytime PSE started up.

Thier is no load styles option in PSE so you need to put all styles into PSE styles folder.

If you have categories set up you can see just the one type by selecting the category type like glitter,

metals,cardboard etc.

Archived