Nikon... Canon... Nikon... Canon... Nikon... Canon...

Reminiscing

I feel like I'm standing in front of a fork in the road and one path is Nikon and the other path is Canon. At least I have narrowed my choices in my research so that I'm 99% sure I want one of those. I am sure I'll be happy with either one for quite some time, but in the future, when I want additional lenses, will I wish I had chosen the other?

I'm leaning toward the Nikon D5000, after reading this excellent review. I haven't decided which Canon yet.

I am feeling an urgency to make this choice now, too, because yesterday my younger daughter broke the shutter button off of my Sony Cybershot point and shoot, my only camera. While I feel I can't live long without a camera ;) I was more upset for my daughters, because I have been planning to upgrade to a DSLR sometime this year already, but now my daughters won't have a camera to use and I loved that they shared my enthusiasm for photography.

And my older daughter has a recital Tuesday! When I remembered that, I thought I'd go buy an inexpensive point & shoot. I found the current model of the Cybershot is only $100. I had been planning to continue using my old Cybershot, not only for my daughters' use, but to keep in my purse for when I don't want to carry my DSLR.

But I woke up this morning thinking I might as well just go ahead and get the DSLR I've been planning to get so long.

I'm just feeling a bit nervous about making the commitment.

Nikon feels a little bit more professional to me and I have professional aspirations, though not huge ones. Just things like photographing other people's kids, that sort of thing. Canon seems to have easier to understand buttons and settings.

I need to research more. I will get back to that. I just thought that I'd post here for some moral support because you all understand better than anyone else I can talk to right now. :)

michele, i wouldnt say either is more professional.... professionals use both canon and nikon.... so that is not a reason imho to pick one over the other....have you gone to the store and held them each in your hands...that is what is usually recommended as there may be a "fit" that you like better, depending on your hands etc...so the first thing i would suggest is if you haven already done this go to a store that has lots of cameras and hold them in your hands...for me the canon felt more comfortable...as for the buttons and dials... that would be the next thing to see once you are at the store....as a canon person i can also say that the canon phones are always very helpful...just the other day i thought there was something wrong with my lens...i called them up and silly me had a button in the wrong place... a one min. phone call and i was back shooting...

whatever you pick canon or nikon i would say there are lots of shooters here at sg with both and you will have lots of resources.... in summary imho they are both pro fab camera companies with excellent reputations so either way you cant go wrong

and one more thing...once you get the camera it will take awhile to learn all the buttons so just take the time to read and re read the manual and buy a book that will help you too... try to get out of using the program or auto mode ...otherwise you may as well just had a point and shoot....

hope you dont mind my really opening my mouth up here! LOL

Good Luck Michele!! Whichever you pick, I know you'll love it. When you do decide and purchase it, don't second guess yourself. It will take time to get used to your camera, so don't get discouraged! Have fun with it!

Michele,

It seems to me you've done all the valuable research and now just need a little push in the right direction! I know you will love the one you choose and will use it to its full capability - eventually, if not the very first week!

Bobbie has given excellent advice just above, both are excellent cameras and companies, so now you just need to go with your instinct. You will not regret your decision.

I'm sorry to hear about your Sony P&S. It can probably be repaired, but buying a replacement might be just as cost effective.

Bobbie, I very much appreciate your words! And thank you Carla and Sarah too. I nodded my head a lot while reading. :) I always stress a bit over decisions.

I just had another thought. Maybe it's less of a commitment than I was thinking, since I'm just buying an entry level DSLR and one lens. If for some reason I decided in a few years that I really want the other brand -- say I've begun my photography business! :) -- it wouldn't be a huge loss to switch. I'm going to be spending more money in the future for upgrading anyway! Later on down the road it will be more important to commit to one brand than it is right now, just starting out. Right?

If you aren't planning to buy extra lenses, you are right. But then, if you have daughters that are interested in photography (like I do) it may not be that easy. My daughter has our first DSLR and used it for her college photography class. She also borrowed one of our lenses for some of her projects. It really is nice having two cameras that can use the same lenses-- but that may be a long ways off for you. :)

Bobbie, I very much appreciate your words! And thank you Carla and Sarah too. I nodded my head a lot while reading. :) I always stress a bit over decisions.

I just had another thought. Maybe it's less of a commitment than I was thinking, since I'm just buying an entry level DSLR and one lens. If for some reason I decided in a few years that I really want the other brand -- say I've begun my photography business! :) -- it wouldn't be a huge loss to switch. I'm going to be spending more money in the future for upgrading anyway! Later on down the road it will be more important to commit to one brand than it is right now, just starting out. Right?

michele....committing to one brand isnt such a big deal... either one is fine... it just a personal choice...or in some cases a random choice...lets say you inherited or won a canon or a nikon... that would be fine ! LOL.... so just pick one and dont stress.... as for further down the line... i would say imho once someone gets used to using the camera they usually stick with that brand...so for instance if you already had a canon or a nikon point and shoot you may just pick that brand... since you know some of the buttons etc.... just go and have fun... play around with some in the store and make a choice... it will be something you will be so happy you did and you wont look back...

Guest DeeMac

I think either Nikon or Canon will make you happy. I have a Nikon D5000 that I love. The only reason I have Nikon is that my first DSLR was a used Nikon D50, so when I upgraded I stuck with Nikon so this "old dog" wouldn't have to learn the differences in menus etc. on the camera. If you do decide to go with the D5000, you will not be disappointed. :)

I found a couple of helpful resources others might be interested in reading:

amusing reading as well as very helpful:

Canon Rebel T1i vs Nikon D5000: Entry-Level DSLR Battlemodo

from a site with lots of useful tips, though I think it's slightly outdated:

Nikon vs Canon

whatever you decide let us know.... and try to stop the overthinking! i tend to have that affliction too...lol

if you go canon...let me know and i will try to be of assistance

I'm a die hard Canon-girl!

But that's just because Canon was the first SLR I owned...

I stayed with Canon because I like the feel of it!

If my first SLR had been a Nikon - I would probably be a Nikon-girl today.

Or not - As I said, the Canon feels great in MY hand!

Might not be the case in yours...

Good luck! Whatever you choose - You'll have a great camera!

Ditto Thess here. I'm a Canon girl but that's because my first SLR was a Canon. When I bought my DSLR it was an easy decision because I didn't want to have to replace my lenses. Obviously, the newer lenses have better glass etc but I'm not a pro so I don't really need the best................yet. ;)

I love Canon enough though that I made sure that when I leased a photocopier/printer for work it was a Canon. :)

Ditto Thess here. I'm a Canon girl but that's because my first SLR was a Canon. When I bought my DSLR it was an easy decision because I didn't want to have to replace my lenses. Obviously, the newer lenses have better glass etc but I'm not a pro so I don't really need the best................yet. ;)

I love Canon enough though that I made sure that when I leased a photocopier/printer for work it was a Canon. :)

LOL, Janine!

All my scanners and printers/copiers - at home and at work - are Canon!!!

I'm a Canon girl too, but Nikons are great. My first SLR was a Canon and I've never been disappointed or had any problems with them. When I first bought a DSLR, I went with Canon because it felt good in my hand. I could reach all the controls easily and it felt as if I had good control of it, whereas the Nikon felt awkward. It was as simple as that. Both have a wide range of lenses and camera bodies to choose from and the pros are just about evenly divided on which they use (you might want to check out the Canon "Explorers of Light"). Really, they are both great systems. I started with the Canon Rebel XT and then an XSi. Now I"m using the 7D which I absolutely love. I am saving and hope to get a 1D Mark III by next year. And you have to make sure whatever lenses you use will be able to be used on a full frame camera later. Not all of the lenses from the entry level cameras keep "moving up". For instance, the Canon EOS EF lenses will be able to be used on the full frame cameras, but the EFS lenses can't. I'm lucky that the 7D can use both, but from now on, I'll only buy the EF lenses for when I do move up again. I'm not sure about the Nikon lens systems, but I think there is something similar. You're very wise to consider what your future use will be now at the starting point. Good luck and I'm anxious to hear what you finally decide on.

Thought I should pop in to say I am a Nikon girl all the way when I comes to DSLRs, but I love my Canon point & shoot. My first SRL was a Pentax film & I loved it too (and would still use it if I didn't like the convenience of digital so much). For me, once the research was done, it was the feel of it in my hands. So, my only recommendation is get your hands on both - one will 'feel just right'! Then just get out there & use it & don't second guess yourself. Enjoy!

I'm a Canon girl too Michele... although Nikons are good cameras too. I would really pay attention to the lenses and make sure you can use them if/when you decide to upgrade, once you have a decent dslr you will be more focused on the lens for a while...what lens you need for which situation. If you know you're going to upgrade cameras down the road, make sure you know which lenses will follow along with you to your new camera. That way you can use them on both if you keep your first camera body or if you sell it to upgrade you won't have to deal with selling your lenses too.

I've done it!

I've made my decision!

Finally!

It's funny because I took my daughters to a friend's house before heading to the camera stores, and I told my friend I was sure I'd be back before a couple of hours, and that included an hour drive time (her house being a half hour from the camera store). I had done a lot of reading this morning and had narrowed my choices down to the Nikon D5000 or the Canon T1i. I thought all I needed to do was hold and play with them for a few minutes and then I'd decide. Two hours later I was just leaving the store with my camera!

I went to Ritz Camera first, because I wanted to see how much it would cost to fix the point and shoot. It would cost more than buying the current version of the same point and shoot. LOL However, I was tempted by the offerings at Ritz that come with DSLR purchases. But they only sell Nikons and I wanted to try the Canon as well, so I headed over to Best Buy, where the prices have consistently really been the best many times. I had been to Best Buy just a few weeks ago to look at the cameras and I was impressed by the knowledge of the saleslady that time. Today I was helped by a young man who also knew what he was talking about and offered me lots of information. The salespeople at Best Buy were more helpful than the lady at Ritz!

Anyway, I had been strongly leaning toward the Nikon D5000. In retrospect, I think that's largely because of Ken Rockwell calling it "Best Serious Camera." I had also read some reviews that said the screen was better organized while going through the camera settings and the frames per second is slightly higher and you can adjust while recording video. So then the guy in Best Buy said he thinks that the Nikon and the Canon are indeed very similar, but the Canon has a faster processor and he just likes it better. Also he was walking me through setting the two cameras. At first I was holding the Nikon and he was holding the Canon, and to set the focus on the Nikon you have to hold down a button while scrolling with the same hand. It felt awkward but I still thought I would choose the Nikon and told myself I'd get used to that. Then we traded cameras. The Canon felt remarkably more comfortable. But I didn't admit it yet, because I still thought I wanted the Nikon. LOL

Then he started confusing the matter (just kidding) with more information and he told me about Best Buy's Geek Squad plan that covers even accidental damage (which I decided not to get) and I was still thinking I might like to take up Ritz on their offer which included a zoom lens and classes. I walked around the store three times and talked on the phone with my husband who knows little about cameras and could only suggest I choose the less expensive option. LOL Then, as I was standing in front of the the glass case looking at the cameras waiting for the salesguy to finish up with another customer, I changed my mind three times. If he had come back to me a minute earlier, I might have gotten the Nikon LOL but I finally decided on the Canon. And even as I talked to him more, I almost changed my mind yet again. :lol:

So I'm the proud albeit still a little ambivalent owner of a Canon T1i. The battery is charging and I'm browsing through the manual. I'm sure I'll love taking pictures with it. If not, I can switch to Nikon in a few years. LOL

Congratulations Michele... ALL I can say is, I doubt you ever change ;)..go to P.O.T.N <---- include the periods...and sign up...free....and start reading the different comments on photos and it will be very helpful...also ask questions there as well as here, and you're gonna LOVE it. :yippee: :yippee: :yippee: good for YOU!!!

Congratulations, Michele -- welcome to the world of digital SLRs! (I love Nikon, but your Canon is going to be awesome!!!) Can't wait to see what you capture with it!

I love your description of your shopping experience! You sound soooo much like me. My husband would say the same thing as yours. LOL Congratulaions on your purchase. Have fun with it!!

We're lucky to have a wonderful, locally owned camera shop, not far from my home. They carry both Canon and Nikon. Even though I probably can get a better price at Best Buy, I think I will go with the independent store. I know I will get more personal service there and I know that they know their cameras.

My "fancy" film cameras (remember them??!!) were Nikon and I loved them... now I am a Canon girl. AI say go and put one in your hand first- feel which one you like better!!!

I have a question - I seem to remember that it's important when purchasing a camera in the US that it have certain US warranties - does that ring a bell to anyone, and if so, what is that all about?

well michelle i must say reading your shopping trip mb post was like a good mystery...i could hardly wait to get to the end to see who dun it or in this case which camera you chose.... welcome to the real photographer world...you are going to love it...and from what you wrote it sounds like you did the "feel" test and went with the one that fit your hands... it also sounds like there are lots of canon girls here to give you help if you want...so just post away.... have fun and play play play...its like they say the more your practice......

Good for you Michele! Congratulations on your new camera! And in case you've had so much to think about in the intervening weeks since the MAD Scrappers meetup and have forgotten, that's the same camera I have - and the first DSLR you ever held in your hands and used! I do believe your hands "remembered" the feel!

Now, having said that - I'm certainly no expert, but I'll be glad to answer any questions you may have about the camera - if I can! There are also other SGs who have that camera - Robin (Michgirl), Sara (three tapoles mom), and Heatheranne (or did Heatheranne get the T2i?)

I also enjoyed the story of your shopping trip. When I bought mine, I went into the camera store with the firm idea that I was going to buy the Canon, but almost wanted the salesman to talk me into the Nikon (the same one you were looking at). I just wanted to be so sure that the Canon was the one I really wanted. And this guy really tried too - he was a Nikon shooter! But in the end, it was the menus, the familiar controls, all the things that say Canon that confirmed my initial decision.

Have fun! And BTW, I would have been just as happy for you if you had gotten the Nikon!

Archived