Having Two Monitors

tinkerbell11

I have a Sony Viao Laptop which my DH has hooked a second monitor to and when it works is awesome the problem is when I shut down it seems to lose the settings when I start up again. MY icons are in different spots maybe all on one monitor etc... the monitors switch sides like the number one is on left instead of right like it is supposed to be. I have set it up in the control panel display settings to be a certain way and they just randomly change everytime I shut down. I don't want to give up on the concept because it is really amazing when it works allows me to have my PSE open and my supplies and slide back and forth. Please help! Thanks so much!

Shannon,

Sometimes you need to change the settings in your graphics card control panel as well. You can usually find that by right-clicking somewhere on your desktop and the pop-up should have an option for it.

I ran two monitors on my laptop for awhile, too. And after about a month, my laptop would slow down considerably. I read that having two monitors may drain your graphics card memory and cause the computer to run slowly. It could also burn out your graphics card. I ended up unhooking my extra monitor, and laptop performance returned to normal.

So this might be something you want to consider if you have just a factory-default graphics card. Hope this helps!

Hmm, I'll take a look when I get to the office tomorrow--my development computer is a Vista laptop with a second monitor, and one of my staff has one, too; both work fine. Will see if I have any special settings.

Thanks for Checking for me Barb I appreciate it!

I looked, but couldn't find any special settings. The only thing I found on ONE machine is this: not all monitor cables are alike, even though the plug into the same analog (blue) connector slot. Some have different internal wiring. When I first installed the 2nd monitor, which is a 24" beauty, it didn't work well or at the right resolution. When I bought a newer (SXVGA?) cable, all was well. It came up the way it should, and at the resolution I'd set it to--1920x1200 or so. Particularly if you're switching screens 1 & 2, to put the laptop on the right, this may matter.

I doubt this will help, but had promised to report back.

Archived