What's On Your Summer Reading List?

Becca

Just curious to see what some of you are reading over summer. I've got a few books on my shelf for the next couple of months, but I'm always open to new titles.

Jodi Picoult's House Rules (just finished this one... great read!)

Stephenie Meyer's The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner

Geeta Anand's The Cure

Kristin Hannah's True Colors

Salvador Plascencia's The People of Paper

Merrill Markoe's Walking in Circles before Lying Down

Jacqueline Sheenan's Lost & Found

Audrey Niffenegger's The Time Traveler's Wife

and one other book that I don't want to mention, because it doesn't pass Ro's "blush proof" test. It's the latest release in one of those vampire novel series that I read. It's a little on the racy side.

Right now I'm reading New York by Edward Rutherfurd

I usually like to read series, but I've finished all the ones I started, so I may have to check out some of the books on your list after I finish.

I have been working through the Agatha Christie Mysteries. I don't know why I've waited so long to read these. I love a good mystery. I have also started reading Diane Chamberlain. Her books are long, but addictive!

Becca, I've already finished the non-blush proof book from the sookie stackhouse series and the short second life of Bree tanner LOL.

I've also just finished Stephen King's Under the dome.

I have to go see what's on my list to read next.

I think it is Everything Matters by ron currie jr.

Just curious to see what some of you are reading over summer. I've got a few books on my shelf for the next couple of months, but I'm always open to new titles.

Jodi Picoult's House Rules (just finished this one... great read!)

Stephenie Meyer's The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner

Geeta Anand's The Cure

Kristin Hannah's True Colors

Salvador Plascencia's The People of Paper

Merrill Markoe's Walking in Circles before Lying Down

Jacqueline Sheenan's Lost & Found

Audrey Niffenegger's The Time Traveler's Wife

and one other book that I don't want to mention, because it doesn't pass Ro's "blush proof" test. It's the latest release in one of those vampire novel series that I read. It's a little on the racy side.

I just finished reading The Time Traveler's Wife. I thought it was brilliant. I kept thinking "wow! This is the author's first novel?!" The style of storytelling from different perspectives was very cool. There are a few crude words and some intimate scenes but only one that I can remember that was explicit enough to make me blush a bit (but it was supposed to be an uncomfortable moment in the book.)

I have a few young adult books on my list for the summer. I'm going to read the remaining books in the the City of Ember series (People of Sparks, Prophet of Yonwood and Diamond of Darkhold). I'm going to give the Fablehaven series a try, too. I'm anxious to get my hands on The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner, too! And when I need a quick read I grab one of those vampire novel series books too hehehe. I wonder if we mean the same series? I'm on book 4 of 10 (I think there are 10 now?)

The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest by Stieg Larsson, wow the third book by him amazing series! They are making the first a movie The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo.

Oh, I've seen these in the book store! I might have to check them out. You're the first person I know who's read them. Thanks for the recommendation, Shannon.

Ang, Michelle - the vampire, blush-inducing series I read is from J.R. Ward. Does that help? I think there's now 8 books in that series.

The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest by Stieg Larsson, wow the third book by him amazing series! They are making the first a movie The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo.

Oh, I've seen these in the book store! I might have to check them out. You're the first person I know who's read them. Thanks for the recommendation, Shannon.

Ang, Michelle - the vampire, blush-inducing series I read is from J.R. Ward. Does that help? I think there's now 8 books in that series.

The Stieg Larsson-books are VERY good!!!

I read them years ago, since they're actually Swedish...

But the last and third one was just released in English.

Unfortunately, Stieg Larsson died before they were published, so there will never be a fourth...

They've made movies here of all three, and they were awesome!

They just sold the rights earlier this year for American versions.

:party-smiley-048:

For those of you that like crime novels, and have read the Stieg Larsson-books, there's another Scandinavian author who also very, very good.

His name is Jo Nesbo from Norway, and at least 5 of his books have been translated and released in the US.

I'm currently reading "Nemesis" and I'm having a hard time putting it down.

Unfortunately, the first ones seem not to have made it to the US yet - "The Bat Man" and "The Cockroaches" - both awesome!

But the one he's won most critical acclaim for around the world, "The Redbreast", is available in the US (I found this to be the weakest so far, but apparently I'm the only one who thinks that!LOL!).

"The Redbreast", "Nemesis", "The Devil's Star", "The Redeemer" and "The Snowman" are available.

And I guess that the latest, "The Leopard", is not too far off...

I read all three. Not at all blush proof, but I thought they were good.

No Becca, I was talking about the Sookie Stackhouse books. The ones that the TV show tru blood are based on.

I just read The Invention of Hugo Cabret (juvenile fiction)...awesome book! I gain much of my inspiration on what to read from friends (hello!) and from two books themselves:

1001 Books you must read before you die

&

1001 Children's books you must read before you grow up (lol) This is where I got the idea to read the Hugo Cabret book above.

Cheri, I LOVE LOVE LOVE those lists! I always find good stuff to read from those. :)

I just finished Mr. Knightley's Diary by Amanda Grange and The Red Queen: ...the Evolution of Human Nature by Matt Ridley. I'm in the middle of Genome: An Autobiography of a Species in 23 Chapters (cool to me because I used to work with chromosomes!) and The Agile Gene: How Nature Turns on Nurture, both by him. Super interesting if you are into biology/psychology and are a geek like me. ;) The stack of books I picked up from my last trip to Barnes & Noble also includes:

Origin of the Species by Charles Darwin

Complete Sherlock Holmes by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (LOVED the steampunkiness of the movie and needed to refresh my memory on these!)

Unweaving the Rainbow: Science, Delusion and the Appetite for Wonder by Richard Dawkins

The Female Brain by Louann Brizendine

The Monster of Florence by Douglas Preston and Mario Spezi

Dan and I are in the middle of reading Nelly A Little Princess, James and the Giant Peach, Emma, and Alice's Adventures in Wonderland (her momma's favorite!).

I'm re-reading Eclipse since the movie is coming on in 2 weeks. Read it a while ago, and I like to refresh my memory before the movie.

Hubby and I are already planning a date night that weekend it comes out! I don't re-read before seeing the movie, though. I'll pick apart the movie, if I have the book fresh in my memory.

Dan and I are in the middle of reading Nelly A Little Princess, James and the Giant Peach

These are two of my favorites! I think I read "A Little Princess" a hundred times growing up. Thanks for the reminder, Heidi - I'm always on the lookout for books to buy for Josh and Brooklynn now that they're reading on their own. Some of these classics just aren't the "norm" for kids these days with all the newer series that come out.

Becca, don't forget The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett. I don't remember if Little Lord Fauntleroy is as good - it's been too long since I read it.

And Noel Streatfield's Shoes books are very good if they're still around. They did a TV movie of Ballet Shoes a couple of years ago.

The Doctor Doolittle books (Hugh Lofting) are fabulous. I also really liked The Five Little Peppers series (some of these are available on the Gutenberg Project). These are all classic children's books.

I just finished the latest by Sarah Addison Allen - The Girl Who Chased the Moon. It's very, very good, as are her first two, Garden Spells and The Sugar Queen.

If you want fun, mindless escape, try Lynn Kurland's time travel romances.

:)

For those of you that like crime novels, and have read the Stieg Larsson-books, there's another Scandinavian author who also very, very good.

His name is Jo Nesbo from Norway, and at least 5 of his books have been translated and released in the US.

Unfortunately, the first ones seem not to have made it to the US yet - "The Bat Man" and "The Cockroaches" - both awesome!

But the one he's won most critical acclaim for around the world, "The Redbreast", is available in the US (I found this to be the weakest so far, but apparently I'm the only one who thinks that!LOL!).

"The Redbreast", "Nemesis", "The Devil's Star", "The Redeemer" and "The Snowman" are available.

Thanks, Thess! The only one I could get for my Kindle was "Nemesis" and I have downloaded & reading currently! Thanks for the suggestions. I will also check out the local library for any of the others. I can purchase paperbacks from Amazon, but I am loving my Kindle - so will opt for that for now. Any other author suggestions from 'your neck of the woods' would be appreciated (translated of course :happy038: )

I'm currently reading Eclipse by Stephenie Meyer and Ice Drift by Clive Cussler. I probably will pick up Breaking Dawn by Stephenie Meyer before the summer is out. I'm a pretty leisurely reader and I really don't allow myself enough reading time so those three books probably will take me most of the summer. :)

Oooh, I'm so jealous of all of these wonderful books (and of course I'm on my fourth time around reading the Twilight series - can never get enough of them!). The one 'book' I'll be reading a LOT over the holidays will be the 2010 Rand McNally Road Atlas ... for the reason why, take a peek at this LO!

Some great reads here - when life settles down a bit, and I've unpacked at our new house, I'm heading back to this to get some great ideas!!

Time travelers wife is excellent!!

Thanks for reminding me about this thread I love to read I read everynight before bed!! Got some great recommendations from you all! going to find some now!!

I just finished reading the joy luck club. Never saw the film I really liked this book. I read it in 5 days. I haven't read a book that fast since the twilight series. ( this is not a vamp book but an excellent read)

It's older too.

Thanks again!!

Rereading the Harry Potter novels. Book 7 movie has been done in two parts. Part one is being released this November and part two in July of 2011. Can't wait. I always reread the books so that I can refresh my mind on what's happened.

I'm also waiting for the release of Janet Evanovich's latest book in the Stephanie Plum series. They always keep me laughing from the first page through to the last. Then there is JD Robb's latest book that is due out, or it might already be out.

Bought Barnes and Noble's 'Nook', so I've been buying my 'books' in the 'e' format. Great way to travel with books. And thanks everyone for your selections. I might have to check some of them out.

Thanks, Thess! The only one I could get for my Kindle was "Nemesis" and I have downloaded & reading currently! Thanks for the suggestions. I will also check out the local library for any of the others. I can purchase paperbacks from Amazon, but I am loving my Kindle - so will opt for that for now. Any other author suggestions from 'your neck of the woods' would be appreciated (translated of course :happy038: )

Some of my fav Swedish crime-writers have plenty of titles translated and available for Kindle.

I really like Helen Tursten's novels, set in "my" town, Gothenburg.

Another good one is Asa Larsson. Her books take place in the north of Sweden, where it almost feels like perpetual winter...

There's also Camilla Lackberg's books; "The Ice Princess", "The Preacher" and "The Stone Cutter", all set in a small community about an hour north of "my town". All three available for Kindle and translated!

One writer that just about everybody I know here loves, is Henning Mankell.

His books about detective Wallander are very good! All of them have been made into movies here in Sweden, and right now they're in the process of re-making several of them into British versions with Kenneth Branagh as Wallander. "The man from Beijing" is NOT a Wallander-novel, but quite good anyway. "Kennedy's brain" is also not a Wallander-novel and the one of his books I liked the least... Everything else is very good! Loads of them available for Kindle and in English!

Another Norwegian that is quite good is Karin Fossum. Several of her books are available in English as Kindle-downloads.

One Norwegian that is unfortunately right now, not available for Kindle, is Anne Holt.

But if they turn up - read them!

Scandinavian crime-writer's lecture over for now...

:disappearing-smilie:

BTW, apart from reading paperbacks with Norwegian Jo Nesbö, I'm reading American novels on my Kindle.

Right now I'm reading Alex Berenson's first book, "The Faithful Spy" - intensely thrilling!

And Gigi Levangie Grazer's "Queen takes King" - chick lit!!!

Archived