What's On Your Summer Reading List?

Becca

BTW, apart from reading paperbacks with Norwegian Jo Nesbö, I'm reading American novels on my Kindle.

Right now I'm reading Alex Berenson's first book, "The Faithful Spy" - intensely thrilling!

And Gigi Levangie Grazer's "Queen takes King" - chick lit!!!

Thanks for all the suggestions! It is so good to get another perspective on authors & books.

Off to check the Kindle store & see what I can come up with for a book for the 'road'!

Happy Reading!

Thess, Some of the Wallander series of movies has been shown here on our Public Broadcasting Station's Masterpiece Theater (I think under the BBC). They are very good. I think I would enjoy the books a lot. Karen

The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest by Stieg Larsson, wow the third book by him amazing series! They are making the first a movie The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo.

I read all three. Not at all blush proof, but I thought they were good.

I picked up the first of this series this weekend. Thanks for the suggestion!

I've been trying to re-read the entire Hannah Swensen Mystery series by Joanne Fluke. I started this task a couple months ago, and have made it through books 1-8. I'm on Book 9 now (Key Lime Pie Murder), and then I have books 10-13 to read before #14 is released in October. This is one of my favorite series EVER...mystery, comedy, romance, adventure, dessert (including chocolate)..all rolled into one. Plus each book contains recipes that are super-delicious :)

I've been trying to re-read the entire Hannah Swensen Mystery series by Joanne Fluke. I started this task a couple months ago, and have made it through books 1-8. I'm on Book 9 now (Key Lime Pie Murder), and then I have books 10-13 to read before #14 is released in October. This is one of my favorite series EVER...mystery, comedy, romance, adventure, dessert (including chocolate)..all rolled into one. Plus each book contains recipes that are super-delicious :)

What a fun coincidence Tiza! I'm listening to the Key Lime Pie Murder the last couple days:) One of the Hannah Swenson mysteries was missing for awhile from our library so I got used to "checking them out" listening to them (our library has some books available for download). Since they don't always require a huge amount of concentration and are more of a fun read, I often digi scrap while listening, lol:)

What a fun coincidence Tiza! I'm listening to the Key Lime Pie Murder the last couple days:) One of the Hannah Swenson mysteries was missing for awhile from our library so I got used to "checking them out" listening to them (our library has some books available for download). Since they don't always require a huge amount of concentration and are more of a fun read, I often digi scrap while listening, lol:)

They are great books to read on my bus commutes to and from work, and also for vacation trips since they are such an easy read. This is my 2nd (or maybe 3rd) time reading the series.

havent read it yet...but hear The Help is very good....several friends of mine, my mil and my dh all read it

I'm half way through "The Help". I'll give a report when I finish (I like it so far). I had to take a break since my son has insisted that I'm reading "Alice's Adventures in Wonderland" with him. ;)

I'm not into vampires so I'm sure my reading list would bore most people. I'm trying to read some of the classics I evidently missed growing up. And a few Agatha Cristie books. I think I need to check out Tiza's books, though, since I'm sure I'll like anything that includes chocolate and key lime pie.

I've got The Help on hold at the library...waiting.... I just picked up Marley and Me while I wait. I also am holding on The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie. It was on a recommended reading list in World Magazine. I'm going to look for Tiza's mystery series. Sounds yummy.

I also want to recommend The Time Traveler's Wife. The book - not the movie! The movie was disappointing, but the book was very engaging.

Also, The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society. There was a thread last year that prompted me to read it. I loved it so much, I gave it as Christmas presents to special people.

Other's I've enjoyed in the past:

Water for Elephants

A Thousand Splendid Suns

The Secret Life of Bees

Lots of good suggestions here. I'm reading the Sookie Stackhouse novels, I'm on book two of the series, though on the dark side, I'm really enjoying the series so far. I think there are 10 books in the series thus far, so it should keep me busy for a little while.

I also want to recommend The Time Traveler's Wife. The book - not the movie! The movie was disappointing, but the book was very engaging.

Also, The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society. There was a thread last year that prompted me to read it. I loved it so much, I gave it as Christmas presents to special people.

Other's I've enjoyed in the past:

Water for Elephants

A Thousand Splendid Suns

The Secret Life of Bees

I've heard good things about all of the books you listed. I know my mom has read a few of them through a book club.

So far this summer I have read:

Without Pity by Ann Rule

All Things at Once by Mika Brzezinski

Going Rogue by Sarah Palin

Game Change by John Heilemann and Mark Halperin

Normally I prefer Crime Drama's like Without Pity by Ann Rule, but I had heard so much about the other three books that I just had to read them. I didn't read them because I believe or don't believe in their political views, but mainly because I found the person interesting and was a bit curious to see what they wrote about themselves. Sarah Palin's Book is just like her - unpredictable!

And I totally enjoyed reading Time Traveler's Wife too!

I am awaiting the final installment of the Hunger Games trilogy by Suzanne Collins. Ive read the first 2, Hunger Games and Catching Fire, they are wonderful! It's a futuristic, survivor tv, love triangle story with some people power/politics in it. This is actually a young adult/teens book but I'm loving it!

I am awaiting the final installment of the Hunger Games trilogy by Suzanne Collins. Ive read the first 2, Hunger Games and Catching Fire, they are wonderful! It's a futuristic, survivor tv, love triangle story with some people power/politics in it. This is actually a young adult/teens book but I'm loving it!

I bought the two books for my son a while ago and just got to reading the first one last Friday. And then I find he's lent out the second book... and that kid is out of town. So my dd picked it up for me at the library. :) Just starting Catching Fire now.

This sounds fabulous! I am going to have to check thess out! I have been looking for some good fun Mysteries.

Rereading the Harry Potter novels. Book 7 movie has been done in two parts. Part one is being released this November and part two in July of 2011. Can't wait. I always reread the books so that I can refresh my mind on what's happened.

I'm also waiting for the release of Janet Evanovich's latest book in the Stephanie Plum series. They always keep me laughing from the first page through to the last. Then there is JD Robb's latest book that is due out, or it might already be out.

Bought Barnes and Noble's 'Nook', so I've been buying my 'books' in the 'e' format. Great way to travel with books. And thanks everyone for your selections. I might have to check some of them out.

Carol I am rereading the HP series too! I haven't found anything that is keeping my interest like this series did, so I am reading it again.

I do love the Bourne movies though and a friend of mine told me to read that series because it was better than the movies, so I think I am going to try that next. :)

Just jumping in to say that The Invention of Hugo Cabret is a wonderful book! It looks super long (which put me off at first lol) but since it is in part a graphic novel, it reads much faster than it looks.

I am mostly reading YA fantasy this summer (any escape from reality I can find lol). Right now my favorite is the Tales of the 500 Kingdoms series by Mercedes Lackey (which is NOT a young adult series). They are The Fairy Godmother, One Good Knight, Fortune's Fool, and The Snow Queen. (Warning: unless you fast forward a chapter in numbers one and three, they will NOT be blush-proof.)

I also enjoyed rereading the Sister Chick series - all but number two are on Kindle, some Miss Marple stories, and an old Peter Lovesey Inspector Cribb series.

My non-fiction books included The M-Generation (fascinating book about the kids turning into twenty somethings right now) and How Not To Act Old.

If you like humorous fantasy, check out Heroics for Beginners and A Fate Worse than Dragons!

Okay, enough from me - off to check out the rest of the suggestions on my Kindle!

I just finished Page from a Tennessee Journal by Francien Thomas Howard. Definitely not blush proof & an interesting read about blacks & whites in the early 1900's in the south. Read it for my book club that meets on Wed. night - can't wait for the discussion. I did read Nemesis by Jo Nesbo - liked it a lot, thanks Thess. Keep those suggestions coming, my Kindle can hold lots of titles and my public library is pretty good too.

Oh, I just have to say that I read the first Hannah Swensen book and LOVED it. I'll be reading them all.

The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie was also a very good read. It is a new mystery series featuring a British 11-yo in the early 50's. I think there is a second book already. I'll be looking into that too.

Right now I have Deadline by Randy Alcorn started.

havent read it yet...but hear The Help is very good....several friends of mine, my mil and my dh all read it

I'm half way through "The Help". I'll give a report when I finish (I like it so far). I had to take a break since my son has insisted that I'm reading "Alice's Adventures in Wonderland" with him. ;)

I'm not into vampires so I'm sure my reading list would bore most people. I'm trying to read some of the classics I evidently missed growing up. And a few Agatha Cristie books. I think I need to check out Tiza's books, though, since I'm sure I'll like anything that includes chocolate and key lime pie.

Just finished "The Help" by Kathryn Stockett and I LOVED it! Definitely in my stack of books to re-read in the future.

Speaking of that, so far this summer I have re-read all the Twilight books plus The Second Short Life of Bree Tanner. I have also been reading a few work/school related books including "Fixing My Gaze" by Susan Barry (a great read for anyone who has "lazy eye" or has a child with "lazy eye").

This is the first summer in a couple years I've been able to squeeze in non-school related books and I am loving it! I just got a box from Amazon on Friday with a whole bunch of books that were on clearance - can't wait to start them!

Just finished "Hush Hush" by Becca Fitzpatrick. Another young adult/teen book:)(what can I say, I'm a teen at heart, lol.) It's about a fallen angel who falls in love with a mortal. It's a bit Sweet Valley high-ish (remember those?) but I love a good romance. I'm waiting for the sequel, "Crescendo".

I accidently ran across a new fantastic author - Tess Gerritsen. We have a "community bookshelf" in my office and I picked up her book Vanish and read it in two days at work during my lunch and breaks! Then I read The Surgeon and The Apprentice by the same author. Now I am reading The Sinner.

The new show on TNT "Rizzoli & Isles" is based on the characters in these books. The books are older but fantastic murder/thriller/crime reads!

• 2 weeks later...

You probably will really wonder about me now - I finished all of my Ann Rule's true mystery books and much to my delight I found a book on my book shelf by Dr. Suess and I read it in the wee hours of this morning - sorry, but I used to love reading it to my children and saved it all these years so i just decided to read it for me this time and I loved it as much as I did so long ago -

Have two new books ordered at Borders waiting for them to come in now.

Archived