22 replies to this topic

#1 MargotW

MargotW

Scrap Girl Scrapper Devotee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 08:58 AM

I just saw where Barnes & Noble has a new Nook - WiFi no 3G for $149.! I'm going to head over to check it out later! More affordable for me. Would you suggest the additional warranty? After all my computer problems, I'm kind of leary about not purchasing.

Let me know your thoughts.
Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
I shoot with a SONY A300 and scrap with PSE8

#2 elibar

elibar

If there's a cure for this, I don't want it!

• Design Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,083 posts
  • Personal Statement:Love your God. Learn His ways. Live for others.

Posted 23 June 2010 - 09:29 AM

I saw that too! Definitely a look into - I've got a birthday coming up!!! If anyone has experiences with this, please share!

gallery_11196_66_57667.png
siggie credits
Elisha Barnett
my latest products (click to view):

EBA_Collection_DaffodilDays_MKTG_150.jpg EBA_PaperMini_FreshPaint_MKTG_150.jpg  EBA_CollectionBiggie_Afresh_MKTG_150.jpg EBA_BrushSet_PapercutLadies2_MKTG_150.jp

BLINKIES_Prayer.gifDesigner-sm-1.pngSG-10thAnniversary-Blinkie.gif

#3 MargotW

MargotW

• Members
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 10:46 AM

I saw that too! Definitely a look into - I've got a birthday coming up!!! If anyone has experiences with this, please share!

Elisha - I've got a birthday coming up also. Soooo - I'll buy you one for your birthday and you can buy me one for mine! lol
Posted Image

#4 RosemaryS

RosemaryS

Shoppin' BABE

• Members
  • 16,161 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 03:33 PM

:rofl: you are both silly... My dh was able to find a free online book program... I'll have to ask him about it. It came with some free book downloads too....
Posted Image
Sweet siggy made for me by Julie
My Gallery I use CS5 and love it!

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted ImagePosted Image

#5 Nutmeg

Nutmeg

Super Scrapper

• Members
  • 2,298 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 03:40 PM

I love my Nook! I just got it two weeks ago and we're inseparable... I haven't used it anywhere where there wasn't WiFi, so I think the new one sounds like a great deal. For that price, I'd definitely get the warranty. The guy told me with the warranty, they'll just replace it if anything happens to it, and that warranty covers a lot.

Side note: if you have cats, don't get the silicone frame unless you want cat hair all over it.

#6 Becca

Becca

Scrap Girl Messageboard Wise One

• Members
  • 10,709 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 03:55 AM

Oooo..... $149 you say? Music to my ears! Guess that's why the Kindle is down in price to $189, too. I might have to check it out. We just had a Barnes & Noble open up here.

#7 TallCool69

TallCool69

Resident Swede

• Members
  • 3,160 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 04:11 AM

I just e-mailed my sister in Seattle to tell her the Kindle is down to $ 189!!!
The Nook is not a good option for us, since we need it to work in Sweden and wherever her husband's work take them...
So, she will join me as a Kindle-owner!
Posted Image

Posted Image

#8 Becca

Becca

• Members
  • 10,709 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 05:11 AM

I'm still toying with which one I like best - the Nook or Kindle. I like the feel of the Kindle better than the Nook. But that sharing books option with the Nook is hard to beat.

And these new lower prices are making it harder to resist, but I wonder if that means other book readers are on the horizon. I know Borders bookstore is going to be releasing their version soon.

#9 elibar

elibar

If there's a cure for this, I don't want it!

• Design Team
  • 12,083 posts
  • Personal Statement:Love your God. Learn His ways. Live for others.

Posted 24 June 2010 - 05:37 AM

It is exciting! I've actually got enough money in my paypal account to cover this! I think there's a visit to B&N to actually feel one in my hand, they have a display. My BIL has a kindle, and I've played with his - and I can see which I like better.

I was actually wondering how long it would take for the prices to come down, with the competition and all.

Margot - LOL - happy early birthday! :D

gallery_11196_66_57667.png
siggie credits
Elisha Barnett
my latest products (click to view):

EBA_Collection_DaffodilDays_MKTG_150.jpg EBA_PaperMini_FreshPaint_MKTG_150.jpg  EBA_CollectionBiggie_Afresh_MKTG_150.jpg EBA_BrushSet_PapercutLadies2_MKTG_150.jp

BLINKIES_Prayer.gifDesigner-sm-1.pngSG-10thAnniversary-Blinkie.gif

#10 MargotW

MargotW

• Members
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 06:15 AM

Barnes & Noble has a comparison chart on their website. It compares features of the two Nook books and the Kindle. I'm really leaning to the Nook but have never handled the Kindle. I'll probably go with the $149 version with the 2 year warranty which will bring me right back to $200.! My wants are exceeding my budget! I may have to go work at Walmart greeting people! Can you see me standing at the front door saying "Welcome to Walmart"? I'm only working because I want a Nook and a Lensbaby and a.....
Posted Image

#11 mimes1

mimes1

Loving This Purple Place

• Creative Team
  • 6,956 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 07:40 PM

We bought the Nook for Isabelle last Christmas. We are quite happy with it. I'm glad to see the prices coming down.

SG-10thAnniversary-Blinkie.gifButton_Layout.pngButton_Published.png

#12 princessrunningfingers

princessrunningfingers

I'll Have You In Stitches In No Time

• Members
  • 18,019 posts
  • Personal Statement:I am an avid stitcher, reader, and of course Scrap Girls Addict.

Posted 26 June 2010 - 07:29 AM

DH and I both have the Nook. I use mine a lot and absolutely love it. DH has just started using his.

gallery_15063_3635_1064.jpg

BLINKIES_MOM-Past.gifSG_Olympian.pngBLINKIE_StayCation-Luau.gifBLINKIES_Pblshd.gifWT-Button-copy.gif

#13 AggieB

AggieB

• Members
  • 12,672 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 10:52 AM

Has anyone actually held both the Kindle & the Nook? I tried the Nook & it seemed a little bit heavy to be holding up, say reading in bed. I am excited to see the prices coming down, I have been waiting for that to really look into them

gallery_17848_304_78298.gif

December 2010 Member of the Month

#14 Kacie

Kacie

Good Scrapper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 646 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 07:38 PM

I know this thread is a little old, but I just wanted to share that I just got a Nook WiFi from Best Buy this week! Love it so far, and can't beat the price! It was $149, and I got the accidental warranty coverage (I'm clumsy) for $39, but with our $15 off coupon, I kept it under $200 total! Haven't brought myself to buy any ebooks so far, so I'm just reading the free ones ;)

#15 Cheri T

Cheri T

Scrap Woman

• Design Team
  • 12,117 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 10:10 PM

I'm still on the fence on an e-reader. I am such a library person that I rarely buy books, but it sure would be nice to be able to collect my books digitally as well as my scrap stash. That much more room in the house for DS' Legos you know;)

I'm one of those people who would love to hold both and compare before deciding. I don't know anyone with a Kindle anywhere close to me, and B & N is about 50 minutes away. I get down there to shop less than once a year, so I'll probably still be waffling on this 3 years from now, hehehehe. Maybe DH will just surprise me with one of them someday and then _I_ won't have to decide, lol.

tn_gallery_7171_358_48818.png
Button_Designer.pngButton_Published.pngSGblinkie.gifSG-10thAnniversary-Blinkie.gif

#16 Kacie

Kacie

Good Scrapper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 646 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 03:29 PM

Cheri-

I'm not sure if you know that Target recently began carrying the Kindle and Best Buy carries the Nook along with Barnes & Noble. I'm not sure if you have either of those closer, but I thought I'd share in case you didn't know.

#17 podiumchick

podiumchick

Paparazzi Mom

• Members
  • 6,247 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 03:33 PM

I have held both in the last week. The Nook is a tad bit heavier, but other than that they are similar. I'm going to go with the Nook if I take the plunge because of the availability of so many more titles. My birthday is in a couple of weeks. The kids were with me at BN yesterday and saw how much I liked it so now they just need to tell their dad....

#18 Cheri T

Cheri T

Scrap Woman

• Design Team
  • 12,117 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 11:54 PM

Cheri-

I'm not sure if you know that Target recently began carrying the Kindle and Best Buy carries the Nook along with Barnes & Noble. I'm not sure if you have either of those closer, but I thought I'd share in case you didn't know.

Hm...I'll have to see if our stores actually have them. Thanks!:)

tn_gallery_7171_358_48818.png
Button_Designer.pngButton_Published.pngSGblinkie.gifSG-10thAnniversary-Blinkie.gif

#19 Arizona Girl

Arizona Girl

• Members
  • 8,214 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 05:24 PM

My husband use to want to get a Kindle, but he's questioning whether he wants it right now. I don't know if he as looked into a Nook
Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

#20 Sheri Johnson

Sheri Johnson

Scissor Samurai

• Design Team
  • 2,985 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 02:58 PM

I have an old-school nook (with 3G) and a Nook color. I do not see any need for the 3G unless you don't have WiFi at home. I want the new generation touch screen B&W nook so bad!! I would buy that above all, unless you want the nook to play games in which case I'd recommend the Nook Color (like a cheaper version of an ipad-type tablet.) I take my Nooks (yes, both of them) traveling and I use the color one mostly to play games and check email through hotel wi-fi connections (and read magazines and how-to books with color images) and I use the classic (b&w) to read books and novels. I've gotten my mom hooked on the idea of having a nook and she wants the Color one because she loves the games!

I've never used a Kindle but I bought nook because it comes in EPUB format which you can borrow digitally from any public library. With the new generation nook, it's cheaper than a kindle, has a full TOUCH SCREEN, better contrast, smaller/lighter to hold and has a longer battery life. (No, I do not work for Barnes & Noble, lol.)

Oh, ha ha. I just noticed this thread is a year old. :hit-head-with-hammer:
Sheri Johnson

Posted Image Posted Image

Featured Products:

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#21 Blesha

Blesha

Good Scrapper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 371 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 01:01 AM

I really hope that Nook will come to Norway soon. We do have the Kindle here in Norway, but I want a Nook because there's no "lock" on where you can buy books from to use on the Nook. I truly dislike being restricted to only buying from one place (in this case Amazon).

The Nook with wi-fi is said to be very stable, and it's light, which means I'd be able to hold it without straining my hands and arms.
Posted Image

#22 BarbaraC1977

BarbaraC1977

Organizational Diva -- loves to play with supplies!

• Members
  • 5,324 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 09:10 AM

The new Simple Nook is very classy and lightweight. It is very appealing to me, and finally to my DH. I love my Nook Color, but I think he's afraid if he admits he likes it, he won't get an iPad one of these days. ;)

gallery_17172_358_42296.png
SGblinkie.gif  SG_BB_LoveThis.png  BLINKIES_MOM-Past.gif
Scrapper | Wife | Mother | Friend | Soprano | Traveler
Rotarian | CEO, Auction Systems
| Recovering Perfectionist

#23 Smiles

Smiles

• Welcoming Committee
  • 9,441 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 07:24 PM

I'm glad to see this thread updated. I am thinking seriously of getting a Nook. I have arthritis in my thumb, and holding a book open for long periods of time gets painful.
Posted Image

Posted Image Posted Image Posted ImagePosted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users