Pse5 Importer Fails To Recognize .mov Files

I have been loving my new Canon Rebel T1i for the last couple of weeks. I didn't buy it to be a movie camera, but I did choose it over the camera without video capability because I do like to record some moments in motion. Baby's first steps, Toddler's adorable voice, and my girls' dancing just don't get justice from still pictures.

Alas, I'm having problem after problem with the videos I take with my T1i. First of all, I haven't figured out the focusing, but I'll figure that out with time and that's not what I'm writing here for. I've also had a hard time uploading big HD files to the several places I've tried and I'm probably not even going to take advantage of that setting anymore, at least until it works better.

The problem for which I want to ask for help here is that PSE5's importer apparently does not recognize .mov files, which is the kind of video my camera creates. My old camera created .mpg files and PSE5 just slurped them from my camera to the Organizer all at once. Now, it completely ignores all the videos I take with my new camera; they simply stay on my camera. Is that the same in later versions? I was thinking maybe it could have changed.

I was also wondering about Lightroom. Does that help with videos too?

Any other suggestions?

Thanks for your help!

Lightroom 3 (current version just released) will help with videos, but I'm not sure how much since I haven't played with that function yet. As with all Adobe software, there is a free 30 day trial available on their site.

Not sure how to help with your other questions, but maybe that will give you a place to start....

FWIW, I use Lightroom (currently 2.7) for my photos and Picasa (free) for my scrapping supplies.

Now this is perplexing. I decided to get on my old desktop, which also has PSE5 on it, and that copy WAS able to see the .MOV files and import them!

Still not working on my laptop though.

Also this morning I got around to seeing how Picasa deals with video. Strangely, while it can see video that is already on my hard drive, it won't import them from my camera either!

Archived