Styles And Layer Effects In Gimp?

Virginia Adkins

I tried to add styles to GIMP a while back, and checked the various forums messages I could find. Best I could find this evening is that you really can't do it easily. There are some ways to get close, using downloaded scripts, but I didn't have the time or patience to experiment with them tonight. My problem is that since my computers are used for software development, I have to be very careful when I install "free" scripts for experimentation.

I like Gimp, and if you need to stay on a budget, I'd suggest this: either buy PSE on sale, or pick up an older copy of PS or PSE from someone who didn't need it for upgrade. I have a copy of PS7 that wasn't part of the pricing when I bought PS CS4, and it support styles just fine. However, my copy has been offered to someone else at the moment. If she doesn't buy it, I may be able to let it go for very little.

In GIMP, you can click the Plus sign near the bottom for "Select File Type," on the File, Save As window. Save as a PSD, and I bet you can open in PS or PSE and apply the styles, then go back to Gimp if needed. I'll try to verify this in the next day or two. It works for Corel Photo Paint and Paint Shop Pro, so I suspect it will work here.

Archived