What Resolution Do You Scan Photos?

Guest HDawson

Guest HDawson
I've been scanning my photos at 300 dpi, but with no rhyme or reason. What resolution do you scan your photos? How do you decide?

Thanks!
Heather

Guest gauchogirl
300 dpi is the correct resolution for printing. While you could probably get away with scanning at a slightly lower resolution (for printing to inkjets), if you ever intend for your layouts to be printed in a publication (like you submit to the magazines) then 300 is necessary. You can't go backwards - say you scan at 150, then it gets picked up for publication, you can't change your res to 300. (Well, you CAN physically do it, but the results are not good, especially in high-quality printing.)

If you ONLY intend to scrap digitally and NEVER print them, then you could get away with 72 or 96 dpi (either work, it's just that monitors display one of those two...I'd go with 96.)
Hope this helps!
tonya

Guest stephie
[quote name='KathleenSD' post='54266' date='Jul 30 2006, 06:14 PM']I usually scan at 300dpi beccause that it the resolution that I print with. But, if I am scanning a 4x6 and maybe would like to enlarge it, I will scan at a higher resolution[/quote]

If I have an older picture that I am scanning. I might scan as high as 600dpi. (of course I get a huge file) The reason for that is I like to scrap with larger photo's on my heritage layouts. I find that if I scan a smaller picture at a higher dpi I get a better large print of that photo. Most current pictures. That would be say the last 10 or 15 years. I usually use 300 to 400 dpi

Just scan a photo in at a few different dpis and print them out in different sizes and see which one you like the best. You can do them in b&w and get an idea of which you like best and still save your color ink.

Steph

Archived