Any Idea Why My Telephoto Lens Is Making Grinding Noises?

naninca

I have a Nikon D40 that came with a telephoto lens: AF5 55-200. It's started acting up lately. Won't focus automatically, moves in and out while trying to focus - all the while making a grinding noise.

It's from Costco, but it's been almost 2 years, so I'm past the "concierge" coverage from them.

Anyone have any idea what this could be? And is it worth fixing?

I'd appreciate any help to send me in the right direction!

Nancy

I wonder if you got dirt in it. I just cleaned my lens and there were some things in it that ought not be there! Maybe worth taking to your local camera shop and seeing if they'll take a look at it. They may charge but it would be worth it if it would keep your camera, and lens, in good condition.

• 4 weeks later...

Sigh. Most of the camera shops around here are out of business. Finally went to Wolf Camera. They wanted $199 plus parts to clean it. Or $200 to buy a new one.

Sigh.

So, I'm going to try once more to see if Costco has any suggestions. Then, if I can't get it fixed, it's time to look for a new telephoto lens. Maybe up to a 300? We're driving from California to Chicago next month (with a nice detour in Yellowstone) and I'll NEED a good camera and lens, right? :happy-sun:

Thanks for your suggestions. Is it possible for me to clean inside it myself, I wonder....

Nancy

Archived