Layer Blending Options

Guest katykins

Guest katykins

I use photoshop 7 and have tried all the layer blending options but they don't seem to do anything, have managed to fade my top layer to see the paper underneath. Do all the options do the same thing or am I not looking hard enough?

I use PSE, but I think blend modes pretty much work the same for me as they would for a PS user. Depending on the two layers you're working with, you should see a difference in most modes - more so for some than others. You'll get different results depending on the combination of the two layers. Just be sure you leave the lower layer on normal and change the blend mode of the layer above it. Other than that, I'm not sure what's going on. One book that has helped me immensely to understand blend modes is:

For Photoshop users:

Start to Finish eBooklet - PS: The Beauty of Blending Modes: Using them with ScrapSimple Products

and for Photoshop Elements users:

Start to Finish eBooklet - PSE: The Beauty of Blending Modes: Using them with ScrapSimple Products

Have you used Blends in other versions of PSE? I ask because so much depends on the papers you’re blending together. That’s why you have to try most of them out to see which gives you the effect you like. If nothing looks good to you, try reversing the two layers. Occasionally, blends look a little different depending which paper is on the top. Even with one template and one color layer, the looks can sometimes be a bit different. Also, ‘lower Opacities’ are a blender’s best friend.

Forgive me if I’m just stating what you already know!

What does your top layer consist of? What color is it? What color is your bottom layer? Is it very dark or very light? Sometimes that can make a difference....

Also, it can be very helpful to reduce the opacity of the upper layer, say down to 70% or 80%. Some effects look a lot better, and it's another parameter to experiment with.

For starters, I'd try a base paper that has color variations, and put one of the Refresh Textures/Transparencies (there are five) over it. I think you'll see fairly dramatic differences with blending modes. This ancient post of mine: http://scrapgirls.com.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=37780&view=&hl=&fromsearch=1, See #5, shows some examples from when I was starting to learn about these. Hope this helps.

Archived