Photo Ornaments

Does anybody have any good suggestions on ways I could make custom personalized photo ornaments? My parents have a tradition of getting a Christmas ornament from each vacation destination, and they did NOT get one on our trip to Idaho. I thought it would be great to find a way and take some of my trip photos and make a special ornament from them.

Any suggestions on ways I could accomplish this? I don't know if I need to decoupage photos to a glass ball ornament, or mini photo frames, or some other way.

Or does anybody know any websites that already offer this personalized product?

Thanks in advance for your help! I figured I should start brainstorming now so I can finish them by Christmas.

Does anybody have any good suggestions on ways I could make custom personalized photo ornaments? My parents have a tradition of getting a Christmas ornament from each vacation destination, and they did NOT get one on our trip to Idaho. I thought it would be great to find a way and take some of my trip photos and make a special ornament from them.

Any suggestions on ways I could accomplish this? I don't know if I need to decoupage photos to a glass ball ornament, or mini photo frames, or some other way.

Or does anybody know any websites that already offer this personalized product?

Thanks in advance for your help! I figured I should start brainstorming now so I can finish them by Christmas.

I don't have any ideas off the top of my head, but if I think of something I'll come back and post it.

Mini photo frames sounds like a great idea! Check out your local craft stores - I got plastic balls, although it was years ago. You were supposed to put photos back to back in them, but I used four photos attaching the edges together, so you could always see an image if the ball turned. Yes they were curved, but they looked cool. I think that I gave them to one of my kids because I don't have them any more.

If you can get your hands on small boxes, they would work great. Flat jewelry type boxes could have a photo on top and bottom, with coordinating ribbon around the edge, with the tie up attached to one side. Small square boxes, could have photos on all six sides and be tied up by a corner, or used as a table topper - paper weight if you put a little weight in it, like dried beans. If used as a paperweight, plastic coating on the photos would be a good idea.

Photos can be printed onto cloth, then cut in shapes of moon, stars, whatever, stuffed and stitched, for soft ornaments. Great near the bottom of the tree, if there are children or pets in the house. The ornament patterns that I have, use felt, which I think would make a great base, then just use the photo cloth over the front piece.

Off the top of my head, a photo collage on a full sheet, then folded origami style (a dove maybe, or flower) might be fun and would make a very interesting ornament - it would be one of a kind. You might have to print both sides of the sheet with small photos. I found origami folding on the net once and I know that I have a book around here somewhere! lol

I can't think of anything else right now, but if I do, I'll post it. Have fun with your Xmas ornaments. :-)

I just remembered that I saw something in the boutique once - templates for little gift boxes that can be made. I couldn't find it just now, but I found many other things that would be useful.

Here are some links:

ScrapSimple Craft Templates: Photo Cubes 2.5 inch and 3.5 inch - is what I was talking about, to use as a paper weight or ornament.

http://store.scrapgirls.com/product/15284/ScrapSimple-Craft-Templates:-Tea-Bag-Envelope - great gift idea for someone who likes their tea because you can put a tea bag in it. You could also fold a gift certificate or bill to fit in it. I don't know if it's the right size to fit a store card in, but it could be adjusted if not. It would look great hanging on a tree, with your personal photo.

ScrapSimple Craft Templates: Fortune Cookie - These might be fun decorations - have an asian theme this Christmas! lol It's all fun! Great photo gift idea if your trip was to the orient.

ScrapSimple Craft Templates: Victorian Pop-up Tree Card - I know it's a card and there are many card templates in the boutique. I've decorated the tree with cards before and they look cool. The tree shape could be a collage of your photos - how cool is that? lol

ScrapSimple Craft Templates: Victorian Dove Ornament - with this, there's no need for origami - it's too cool! :-)

ScrapSimple Craft Templates: Victorian Cone Ornament - another great tree decorating idea and they would look awesome personalized with photos of your trip. :-)

Cards and Gifts is where I found these. There are three sections to look through for ideas. I hope something that I've said helps you in your search for a Christmas ornament. Have a great day! :-)

Those are all some good suggestions...I'll have to look at them closer and see if I think any would work. My parents have a very nice Christmas tree (glass balls, Hummel ornaments, Hallmark collectables, and ceramic ones from each trip), so I'm worried that a paper ornament would stand out too much. Mini picture frames or cubes might be nice.

You know those glass ornaments that have a shrinkwrap design around them? Sort of like a giant Easter Egg wrapper. I wonder if I can find that type of paper at some craft store, print my photos onto that, and then use heat to shrink the design onto a glass ornament...

Or maybe I just need to go online and order an ornament in the shape of an Idaho potato and give that to them. :)

roflol - the potato would be different!

I've had ceramic, glass, felt and paper ornaments on my tree, as well as ornaments that were made by the kids. The combination is eclectic and beautiful, especially the little, old messy ones that were made by the kids.

Don't kid yourself though, as an adult, your paper ornaments wouldn't look cheap, especially with your personal photos on them. If I were to use the cube, I'd use the cold laminate on it (if I had the machine, I would use hot), then I would fold it together and use two sided tape to hold the edges together. It would be a little fiddley but it would be firm and look glassy. If you wanted it to be even more firm, you could cut a piece of styrofoam (floral foam would be great) the right shape and size and fold the box around it, taping the edges with double sided tape.

The craft stores usually have all kinds of things that can be used a little differently. You never know, they may have glass shapes that can be used. Something that comes to mind, is those little wooden houses or shapes. They would look great with photos decoupaged or just glued onto them. A little ribbon, or craft paint in places, if you're so inclined - or just a little clear finish, like decoupage glue. You could even crackle some of the photos, if you're into it. Ideas are boundless and anything homemade is a wonderful gift to receive.

If you do the heat on glass, I would be interested to hear if it works. I would be afraid that the glass would break, unless you got one of those expensive hand made ornaments to use, but I couldn't cover one of those. lol :-)

Now you have my curiousity peaked! You'll have to do a layout about what you make, so that we can see it. I'm sure that it will not look adolescent, unless you want it to and that your parents will love it. :-)

This is really not an ornament, but last year my ddil asked me what I wanted for Christmas and I told her I wanted the most beautiful snowglobe in the world! She went to Michael's and bought a snow globe that allowed her to put a picture in it of my little grands and I just love it. It has the snowflakes in it and everything, and the picture of the grands is quite large so it is very special to me. Know this isn't what you meant, but just thought I would throw it in anyway for an idea.

Artscow does have porcelain ornaments in simple shapes. Your photo and design are printed onto the tile surface. I've used artscow for a canvas project and was happy with the results, but they are slow. Use your scrapping supplies to embellish your photos and upload!

I'll have to check Artscow again. I looked once but didn't see ornaments...I must not have looked hard enough.

Sara, that snowglobe sounds like a lovely present. I might use that idea for some other presents :)

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone!

Me too - with all of these ideas, you are bound to come up with something new and different - can't wait to see what you find - don't forget to share it with us so we can see how creative you are!

I'll have to check Artscow again. I looked once but didn't see ornaments...I must not have looked hard enough.

Sara, that snowglobe sounds like a lovely present. I might use that idea for some other presents :)

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone!

I love my "most beautiful snow globe in the world" - it was inexpensive, but it means the world to me. My Kim knows that the most beautiful things to me are my little grands and when I opened that last Christmas it may as well have been gold - I cried - I was so tickled - and I guess I kind of looked at Kim with a questioning look or something and she said, "Well, you did say you wanted the most beautiful snow globe in the world!" I blubbered all day.

They can't be very expensive - and I would bet there are ornaments similiar to the snow globe idea too - Michael's is where she bought it.

For the last several years, Michaels has had beautiful small enameled ornament frames - you simply put the photos in them, and there's a plastic cover that goes over the photo. They are pretty inexpensive, expecially on sale!

Those are all some good suggestions...I'll have to look at them closer and see if I think any would work. My parents have a very nice Christmas tree (glass balls, Hummel ornaments, Hallmark collectables, and ceramic ones from each trip), so I'm worried that a paper ornament would stand out too much. Mini picture frames or cubes might be nice.

You know those glass ornaments that have a shrinkwrap design around them? Sort of like a giant Easter Egg wrapper. I wonder if I can find that type of paper at some craft store, print my photos onto that, and then use heat to shrink the design onto a glass ornament...

Or maybe I just need to go online and order an ornament in the shape of an Idaho potato and give that to them. :)

I have another idea for you Theresa. I've done this before and it works really well. I use overhead transparency sheets. I like the ones I can print in color on my ink jet printer. I use the clear glass Christmas ornaments and measure the diameter of the circle. Make your image slightly smaller than the diameter. Print, cut it into a circle, roll it up and insert inside the glass ornament. It should spring open and fit inside the ball. I have a pretty formal Christmas tree and they look good on it. I have also done the frames. My sister sent me some pretty ones she picked up a the Hallmark store a few years ago. They were designed to go on a little metal tree, but they work well on a Christmas Tree.

• 1 month later...

Hi --

I know I am way late for this discussion, but have you explored photo sites like Shutterfly or Snapfish?

I have had beautiful porcelain photo ornaments made online -- you just upload the pics, they make the ornament and then send it to you!

I have also used places like Costco, BJ's or even Walmart with gorgeous results.

WIth Walmart you can use "site-to-store" and avoid shipping costs.

I had one made there that was in the shape of a star or snowflake -- the photo was imbedded right into it -- very professional, long-lasting and totally durable.

Besides being so perfectly personal. :)

Hope this helps, if not now then for future reference.

MariJ

Thanks for the suggestions MariJ!

I haven't put much thought into these ornaments since I first posted about them - guess I better start working on them again, since these months are flying by so quickly and the holidays will be here before we know it!

Archived