External Hard Drive Accident

My 7yo DS tripped on my EHD cord last night at bedtime. I didn't think anything of it at the time since the green light continued to be on. Before I went to bed though, I couldn't get my laptop to recognize that it was plugged in despite the green light on the EHD. DH confirmed this morning that it's "toast" --that would be his technical, software engineer/electrical engineer diagnosis. No such luck on retrieving anything.

Luckily we are good about backing up everything. The only things I lost were about 2 months of edited .jpgs. We have the original RAW files on 2 backup drives, so all I lost was the time I spent editing and converting the RAW files to .jpg the first time. It could have been SO much worse! This EHD carries ALL my digital pages, ALL our digital photos, ALL our scanned heritage photos from all of our family branches, etc etc.

Anyway, this is your friendly reminder to get stuff backed up, NOW, and keep it going! :)

Good reminder, Cheri - I am so glad that you are mindful of keeping things backed up - I am not as good as that and was happy for the reminder so am now backing up stuff I have been meaning to for awhile - one of my EHD's runs constantly and the others are just for things I like to keep separately on them - but every once in awhile I notice that the one that is supposed to backup constantly has just stopped - sure enough, today it had and I had to start it up again - but I don't know why it stops.

Thank goodness you are good to go and only time (as precious as that is!) was lost. I have my things backed up via Carbonite but this fall I want to get some things onto an EHD and I need to remember to get that backed up with Acronis then. Anyone hear if Carbonite is still working on backing up EHD's any time soon?

Cheri... :whew: !!

• 3 months later...

I had a similar EHD accident while I was doing my initial backup to Mozy. I am anxiously awaiting whether or not anything can be retrieved. I will really be upset if it cannot. Since I am anticipating having to replace my 1T EHD, what do you recommend? Is there a better way for storage besides temperamental EHDs? Maybe there is an online storage site that automatically backs itself up. Has anyone heard/used one? Thanks a lot. I really hope that all my photos and scrapbook stuff is not "toast"!!!

I had a similar EHD accident while I was doing my initial backup to Mozy. I am anxiously awaiting whether or not anything can be retrieved. I will really be upset if it cannot. Since I am anticipating having to replace my 1T EHD, what do you recommend? Is there a better way for storage besides temperamental EHDs? Maybe there is an online storage site that automatically backs itself up. Has anyone heard/used one? Thanks a lot. I really hope that all my photos and scrapbook stuff is not "toast"!!!

I have heard of something like that but don't know names or how it works. Will let you know ASAP. (Gotta ask the boyfriend)

I switched to Mozy so I could back up my external drives too and just last week had reason to be grateful as my desktop hard drive bit the dust.

Thank goodness for Mozy! It had everything right up to the last download. I thought the frequent reminders that it had just updated the backup were annoying - now every time I see one, I will be grateful.

Archived