Question About Creating Clouds

I am working on an album for my best friend who recently became a grandma. What I want to do is have a picture of the baby sleeping on clouds. I extracted the picture and I am using Brandy's Time Traveler brush set but it doesn't look right. When I see layout's done by others, the clouds seem to be different colors and have more depth. How do you do this? Also, is there a way to have the clouds "surround" the baby so it looks more like she is sinking into them?

Thanks in advance for you help!

There was a tutorial in a newsletter but I don't have the date. I do however have the instructions. I hope it's okay to post it here.

DIGITAL SCRAPBOOKING TUTORIAL

Tinting Brush Set: Time Traveler ? Clouds to Match Your Layout

Note: Tutorial created using Adobe Photoshop CS3 with Windows Vista.

I am going to teach you a trick to tinting cloud brushes to match the layout you are designing. This is something I stumbled across when doing my sample layouts for the Brush Set: Time Traveler ? Clouds.

Clouds always look more realistic when used in white. But sometimes we want a little tint of color to make an element blend nicely with our layouts. It's a subtle change but one that can make a difference. However, using a clipping mask to add color to a white element is difficult, and using a different color for your cloud brush can make it lose the depth of the shading variation.

Using white as the foreground color, brush your cloud on a separate layer in your digital scrapbooking layout. I like to use a separate layer for each cloud.

Make sure the cloud layer is the active layer. While holding Ctrl, click on the cloud layer in the Layers Palette. You should have marching ants in the shape of your cloud. It won't be all the way to the edges, but it is picking up the important parts we need.

Click on your background paper layer. Hovering your cursor over your work area, right-click and choose "Layer Via Copy." This creates a cutout of your background paper in the shape of your cloud and puts it on a new layer.

Move this new layer above the cloud layer you wish to tint. Change the Blending Mode of the paper cutout layer to "Overlay." You now have a tinted cloud that looks realistic on your layout.

Add a drop shadow for a floating look. Be sure to move the distance of your shadow far enough away from your cloud so that you keep the vibrancy. For this sample, I moved the distance to 138 pixels.

The Blending Mode "Color" can be used when you have a patterned paper for your background. It picks up the color without the pattern of the paper being so visible. You can also get some pretty color blends on your clouds this way. Remember that you don't want to use a clipping mask with this brush, as you will quickly see your color and details disappear.

I hope you enjoy using this brush set. They can add a magical feel to your layouts and can be used in many ways. Use them as a grungy eraser brush. They can also be used to blend photos or to create mist, fog and cresting water.

Tutorial written by Brandy Murry

Tutorial written by Brandy Murry

Thanks Heather - I will have to try this when I get home from work tonight.

You're very welcome. Remember to post your layout in the STL thread so that I can see it! lol

I would cut a curvy edge across the bottom section of cloud then paste it as a new layer - over the baby picture, then lower the opacity to make it look like the baby has sunk into the cloud. I'd add a light shadow to both cloud layers and the baby, to give it dimension. The colourmatch shadows would probably work great for this. I'm sure there are many ways to get the effect and am looking forward to seeing what you do. :-)

Put a cloud layer in front of the baby, and an identical layer behind the baby. Then erase the parts of either layer you don't need.

Put a cloud layer in front of the baby, and an identical layer behind the baby. Then erase the parts of either layer you don't need.

That sounds a lot easier than what I said and I've done it that way too! I claim confusion, because I'm still overwhelmed with the puppies. lol Thank you! :-)

In this layout, I think I used a soft edge brush, probably with opacity reduced, and removed some of the baby where the cloud would be in front of the baby.

It's gorgeous Pat! I LYSL. :-)

Archived