I Want A Cute Laptop Bag...any Ideas?

Cheri T

Any fashionistas out there with a favorite laptop bag or a site or store selling cute ones for less than an arm-and-a-leg?;) (I'm not paying $300!) I'm meeting up with some SG from the midwest on Sept 10-11 and would love to have my new bag by then!

Conda was just talking about getting a new laptop bag for our gathering too... ;) We could have a laptop bag fashion show!

Currently, I just use a cute purple backpack that doubles as my laptop/camera bag. I found it at Target. It has a padded section for the laptop, plus plenty of room to still fit my camera bag, plus the toiletry case that holds all the cables/cords/chargers for my electronics. Also has strong, padded straps for carrying it on my back. It was perfect for traveling - I used it as my carry-on when I went to Idaho.

There are lots of backpacks on sale now. You might be able to find a cute one like Theresa did. I stumbled across a really cool messenger bag at Walmart last year. It's tan canvas with some brads and flowers embroidered on the flap. Very sturdy strap. I added some extra foam padding and I can get my 17" laptop, cords, and cooling pad in it. All I was finding for 17" laptops were $60 and more. I paid $7 for my closeout bag.

My laptop bag is so not cool -it's just a regular black laptop case with the padding and compartments for everything - I need to find a more fun bag too - thanks for all the tips here - maybe one of these days I will find one that fits my personality and is more fun that this "business bag" I now have - I think I would like the back pack type - I carried my laptop all over the hospital when Rich was there and find mine very heavy with everything I had in it carrying it there - but I did an awful lot of walking the halls with laptop strap on my shoulder and other bags in hand at the same time - I was always exhausted by the time I got to his room in the Heart Tower - the hospital is so big and I could have used a really cool back pack type bag then for sure.

I have a Vera Bradley laptop bag that I bought on sale a few years ago when they were discontinuing the pattern. But when I fly with the laptop I have a carry on bag that has one compartment that unzips so that it can lay flat on the belt. They let me just unzip it and I don't have to take it out of the bag. Then I put my extra camera, and other stuff in the main compartment of the bag.

I like the bagpack idea. I just bought a wonderful backpack for my grandson, for school, at Costco and it was only $30, although it had been marked down by $10. It has a 3 year warranty too! I almost got myself one and may yet. I'm just not sure if you'd consider it fashionable. It's definately serviceable! :-)

I wonder if I can make something like this? My main concern would be getting it padded & safe enough to protect my laptop. Worth mulling over for now at least...

I made a laptop sleeve padded with needle punched fleece. I always put it inside another bag when carrying it tho.

I bet there is a pattern out there just for this - a padded laptop bag - I will have to look next time I can get out - I think even I might be able to make that - but I agree with you, Jenna - I would worry about the padding, but if there is a good pattern it would probably have some ideas for good padding.

Giggle - I wonder if I could have my serviceable black laptop bag re-upholstered? That would be fun and interesting if I could - I might check that out too - I wonder if they would laugh at me - re-upholstering a laptop bag? I can hear them giggling behind my back now "this lady must be a purple nut!"

I think that it would be fun to decorate a plain looking backpack to make it more fun and personal. I'll have to find my bedazzler and some fun lace when I get one, then see what I come up with. roflol :-)

Any fashionistas out there with a favorite laptop bag or a site or store selling cute ones for less than an arm-and-a-leg?;) (I'm not paying $300!) I'm meeting up with some SG from the midwest on Sept 10-11 and would love to have my new bag by then!

Cheri, I found some really cute laptop bags at several sites I looked at - I didn't look at all the prices but I liked what I saw on this site Chic laptop bags these might be pricey but it has links to lots of other sites - there were many sites out there to look at. Maybe you could start with this link and find something you like. HTH

I found a perfect one at REI outlet with a padded pocket that my laptop fit into - the backpack was a nice brand with about 50% discount! (Who doesn't love a sale?) Then I was able to trek my laptop to other countries and islands with me. When I'm traveling Stateside I usually pack it in a big tote bag. I almost never use a traditional "laptop bag." Good luck on your search!

Jenna, you'd asked if you could make a bag. Green Pepper Patterns (mail order over internet) has a messenger bag pattern. I modified it just a little to add pockets for cell phone and pens, and extra velcro for interior moveable pockets. I used ripstop nylon in burgundy for the lining, EXTRA firm 3/8" uphostery padding and a heavy tapestry fabric for the exterior. It turned out well, and is over five years in service. It could use a little cleaning, but it still looks great and is good for a long time yet. Here are pictures of it. It was not a trivial project, but has been worth it. You can enlarge them by clicking "slide show." Hope that gives you some inspiration!

Postscript: I like the tapestry even better than I thought I would. Not only is it sturdy, but it's soft rather than scratchy on my dry skin. Oh, and yes it was snowy when I took the photos!

Barbara, that's a cool bag! I had an overnight bag that was a little like that. I wonder if they still make them? It would make a great laptop bag, with a little extra padding and a few extra pockets inside. It had a large flat pocket on the outside and some pouches on the inside that would be useful. I never thought of using an overnight bag or carry one bag, but they would be terrific too and some of them are so pretty.. :-)

That's adorable - I would imagine that I could use a heavy denim, leather, or duck-cloth too. Worth considering since I have some stuff in mind for it. :) Thanks for the pics, Joyce! I'll look up the pattern too...

Jenna, you go, girl! Some things I knew or learned that helped:

-Run the edge of ripstop nylon through a candle flame. You can move pretty quickly, and it doesn't need to be perfect. If you don't do this, it will fray until it fails at the seams.

-Tapestry fabric frays easily too. When I made this, I didn't have a serger, so I sewed a three-step zig-zag around the perimeter of each piece. (right-right-right-left-left-left, etc.) This is not a triple-stitch zig-zag. Otherwise, serge around the edges to keep them from fraying. Some of the seams are exposed on the interior, but it is necessary even if they were enclosed. You can use denim or other heavy fabrics, too, if that's your preference. Use a slightly heavier than normal needle, and sew at a moderate speed to avoid breakage.

-Cotton webbing (for straps) is softer and more comfy than the nylon, but wears out rapidly. The nylon frays, so it gets the "candle treatment" also when you cut it. For a project that you want to last, I would not use cotton webbing. The webbing needs to be really sturdy--the laptop, power supply and other goodies add up to five pounds or more very quickly.

-I added a tapestry tube/sleeve over the handle for comfort.

-It was very difficult to snug the last seam on each surface around the upholstery padding (bottom edges.) I finally found it faster to baste once by hand, then re-sew closer/tighter to the padding. I think I reinforced it with machine stitching after those two passes. It is at the "hinge end" of the bag, and isn't noticeable.

-There are other kinds of padding; you may need to double or triple them for real security of your laptop. The other alternative not so readily available back then, but is now, is to make a nice tapestry bag, which really does have a nice shape, and then use a purchased sleeve inside it.

-The pattern came from The Green Pepper. I used a pattern most similar to their "padded travel case/laptop case" pattern. Mine isn't there anymore, but they also now have a "computer scooter/laptop" case. I've also made the divided briefcase--it was so great in my corporate life because it functioned well as both purse and briefcase on trips. 8.5x11 fit flat inside. I did adjust the computer case size slightly smaller--my elbows will never support lugging a large laptop so there wasn't a point to making it full size.

-Let me know if you would like close-up photos. Sorry for being so long-winded.

Great tips, thanks so much! I will definately think it over - I know my mom has a ton of denims & duck cloths that would be cute. I made a car seat cover for my youngest so it would be girly & I have a bit of the padding left from that that I could pair up with some batting I have. I'll just have to see if I think it will be enough to protect well.

Jenna and Barbara, you are both so talented - I really am jealous that I was not blessed with the "sewing bug" - I will be anxious to see what you come up with Jenna - Barbara's creation sounds awesome and I am going now to look at the pictures - jenna I know you will come up with something brilliant and beautiful! Can't wait to see what you do with this one!

Archived