19 replies to this topic

#1 candyK

candyK

Super Scrapper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 371 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 07:17 PM

I never did any paper scrapping, and am starting to wonder if I'm just a collector of digital prettiness right now!
However I wondered how folks keep up with new ideas/trends in scrapping? Do you get specific magazines and adapt the ideas? Follow blogs and websites? What is most helpful? Or just do your own thing? Just curious.
Thanks, candyK

#2 MLLatscrapgirls

MLLatscrapgirls

Hot Scrapper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,221 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 07:43 PM

When I first started, I spent almost all my time here in the gallery. I didn't usually copy or scraplift the layouts (although that is another good way to start.) I just wandered through and absorbed all of the creativity.

I moved a few months ago, and had to go through all of my scrapbook magazines to decide what to keep. Some of the magazines were from 2003 (yes, I should do this more often lol.) But going through that many magazines over that long a time span was fascinating.

I will share two insights from that:
1) If you have a great photo and/or a great story, the rest of the page is really timeless.
2) Digital scrappers have two big advantages - first, most of those pages are trendy to begin with, and second, that if something does date, or our skills increase, it is easy to do it over.

PS: There is nothing wrong with collecting digital prettiness, lol! Just going through my stash has inspired me sometimes.
A hundred years from now it will not matter what my bank account was,the sort of house I lived in, or the kind of car I drove, but the world may be different because I was important in the life of a child....
... Forest Witcraft
Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image:http://scrapgirls.co...ES_MOM-Past.gif
I am not shopping; I am supporting graphic artists.

#3 AggieB

AggieB

Scrap Girl Messageboard Wise One

• Members
  • 12,669 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 09:12 PM

I usually just look at the newsletter & the gallery. I'm not a real trendy scrapper. Personally, I don't see anything with collecting prettiness. At least this collection doesn't take up any space.

gallery_17848_304_78298.gif

December 2010 Member of the Month

#4 PBarnes

PBarnes

• Members
  • 22,301 posts
  • Personal Statement:Digitally Addicted!

Posted 31 August 2010 - 09:16 PM

I do look at the scrapbooking magazines on the racks but rarely buy them. I did go through some older magazines recently and it is interesting to see how things have evolved, even in the paper world. I mostly look to what our designers here at Scrap Girls are doing as for trends. I browse other sites occasionally, but what I see mostly makes me think we've got the best designers right here. :)

#5 mbc72

mbc72

Keep calm and scrap on!

• Creative Team
  • 8,004 posts

Posted 01 September 2010 - 07:07 AM

I think our designers keep us pretty trendy, here! I also check out some e-zines like "Ready Set Create" and "Scrap N Art". I agree with Pat, when I am at the book store I like to look through paper scrapping mags, but I rarely buy any anymore.

gallery_8176_229_23474.png

Button_Layout.pngButton_Published.pngWT-Button-copy.gif
SGblinkie.gifBLINKIES_Blessed.gif

#6 Sara Arell

Sara Arell

Scrap Girls Messageboard Wise One

• Members
  • 50,757 posts
  • Personal Statement:Let There Be Peace On Earth and Let It Begin With Me!

Posted 04 September 2010 - 04:20 AM

I do look at the scrapbooking magazines on the racks but rarely buy them. I did go through some older magazines recently and it is interesting to see how things have evolved, even in the paper world. I mostly look to what our designers here at Scrap Girls are doing as for trends. I browse other sites occasionally, but what I see mostly makes me think we've got the best designers right here. :)

What Pat said!
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#7 tinkerbell11

tinkerbell11

Collector of shoes, wearer of FLIP FLOPS

• Creative Team
  • 12,343 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 08:00 AM

I am a fan of Creating Keepsakes and also BHG Scrapbooks Etc, they both often feature digital LO's and I find that many LO's can help spark ides, I do still prefer an actual magazine to a digital one, altho I get them too LOL! I wish the Digital Scrapbook Magazine would come back I miss it a ton!
Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#8 Sara Arell

Sara Arell

• Members
  • 50,757 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 05:38 AM

Ditto Shannon! But do you find that it is hard to find paper digital scrapbooks? I do.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#9 Ande43

Ande43

Scrap Girl Scrapper Devotee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,318 posts
  • Personal Statement:Remember the little things for one day you will look back, and realize they were the BIG things

Posted 12 January 2011 - 11:33 AM

I am not a very "Trendy" scrapper...I was a paper scrapper for 13 years and my Digital pages are pretty much the same style. I want them to look like paper and have people feel of them and be amazed they can't "feel" that button :D I have TONS of paper supplies yet but make cards too so will use alot of it. I sold tons of papar that was just plain ugly at a garage sale just for Scrappin and Stampin supplies and made $423 I finally got rid of alot of Magazines from WAAAAAY back at the same sale. Still have tons of them that can give me ideas for Digital.

I haven't learned alot of the fun stuff for digital yet so that limits my "Trendy" creations. Using Masks is about as far as I have gone so far.
Untitled 1

BLINKIES_MOM-Past.gifWT-Button-copy.gif

#10 Ande43

Ande43

• Members
  • 1,318 posts
  • Personal Statement:Remember the little things for one day you will look back, and realize they were the BIG things

Posted 12 January 2011 - 11:34 AM

I am a fan of Creating Keepsakes and also BHG Scrapbooks Etc, they both often feature digital LO's and I find that many LO's can help spark ides, I do still prefer an actual magazine to a digital one, altho I get them too LOL! I wish the Digital Scrapbook Magazine would come back I miss it a ton!

Me too...I liked that one....We should all email them our thoughts.
Untitled 1

#11 SandiC.

SandiC.

Countess of Classes

• Members
  • 9,344 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 11:54 AM

I used to subscribe to every scrapping magazine under the sun. I've taken most of those old magazines, taken out LOs with ideas I like, like a color combo, a nice arrangement of photos or embellies, or a them, or some other element, I paste those in a composition book (using up old glue sticks from my paper scrapping days) and make a few notes about what got my attention with that particular example. After several years, I don't think there's much that's really new, things sort of come and go in favor, just like fashion. So our designers do a great job putting out new things that match the latest trends. I've finally sort of developed my own comfort level of what appeals to me. I watch the new clothes in stores and also household items to pick up current color trends...great thing about digi...you can change the color of anything. Mostly I don't really care, I'm making it for myself (mostly) anyway. So anything I get here is great!
Posted Image

A true friend reaches for your hand and touches your heart. ~Author Unknown

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#12 Peppi

Peppi
  • Guests

Posted 12 January 2011 - 11:56 AM

I do LOVE Somerset both the Digital and the Memories magazine. They feature a lot of digital layouts often SG too ;) I do subscribe to Creating Keepsakes and two dutch scrapbooking magazine.

#13 Ande43

Ande43

• Members
  • 1,318 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 01:49 PM

The Scrapbook sites have more inspiration than you could ever find in magazines and it's free :2468who-do-we-appreciate:
Untitled 1

#14 Peppi

Peppi
  • Guests

Posted 12 January 2011 - 02:31 PM

The Scrapbook sites have more inspiration than you could ever find in magazines and it's free :2468who-do-we-appreciate:

You mean THE scrapbbok site ScrapGirls :giggle_bear:

#15 Ande43

Ande43

• Members
  • 1,318 posts

Posted 30 April 2011 - 09:51 PM

You mean THE scrapbbok site ScrapGirls :giggle_bear:

That would be the one :D
Untitled 1

#16 Smiles

Smiles

• Welcoming Committee
  • 9,409 posts

Posted 30 April 2011 - 10:04 PM

I think most "trends" are ideas to push new products - like the trend to use anything from a hardware store, except re-made as a scrapping embellishment.
I prefer a more timeless look...
:)
Posted Image

Posted Image Posted Image Posted ImagePosted Image

#17 candyK

candyK

Super Scrapper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 371 posts

Posted 30 April 2011 - 10:40 PM

I bought the new issue (4/11) by CK of a special issue titled 'Best of Digital Scrapbooking'. It is a COMPLETE recycle of articleS that originally appeared in the Digital Scrapbooking magazine, with NO new information! I will be returning it to JoAnn's for a refund. Disgusted!
candyK

#18 Smiles

Smiles

• Welcoming Committee
  • 9,409 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 10:51 PM

I had to laugh - I went through a stack of old scrapping magazines tonight, and everything shown was so very labor intensive! And they were bragging about pages under $5 each in materials. I can do so much more and SO much faster! Makes me realize how spoiled we are!
Posted Image

#19 Sara Arell

Sara Arell

• Members
  • 50,757 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 06:48 PM

I went through a huge pile of old paper scrapping mags today and I couldn't believe how much things have changed since then! And I didn't realize just how many old magazines I had been saving either.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#20 Smiles

Smiles

• Welcoming Committee
  • 9,409 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 04:55 PM

I've been weeding out some of them too, and am noticing the same thing.
:)
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users