13 replies to this topic

#1 beckaroonaz

beckaroonaz

New Scrapper on the Block

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 04:25 PM

I did a search on the forum...but did not turn up with much. I am hoping that someone can offer some suggestions...I have 550 contact sheets/kit content sheets saved in a folder. I am trying to figure our the best way to use them. I currently hunt through my contact sheets via Picasa so I can see what goes together etc. I thought about printing them out and saving them in a binder...then I saw how may I had....Uffda!

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

#2 tinkerbell11

tinkerbell11

Collector of shoes, wearer of FLIP FLOPS

• Creative Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,437 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 04:41 PM

If you want to print them for a binder don't print them full size do smaller versions that you can still look at ?

gallery_10753_358_55511.png
Button_Welcome.pngSG_BB_LoveThis.pngButton_Published.pngSG-10thAnniversary-Blinkie.gif

#3 beckaroonaz

beckaroonaz

New Scrapper on the Block

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 04:55 PM

Good point...do you print your sheets out?

#4 BarbaraC1977

BarbaraC1977

Organizational Diva -- loves to play with supplies!

• Members
  • 5,375 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 08:19 PM

I had printed mine out, along with example prints, on postcard-size prints, and put them in a three-high photo album. I like that a lot. However...

Now that I have a smart phone, and especially one with a big screen, my 4" screen Samsung Captivate, I copy them to a folder there, too. I can peruse the "gallery" when I'm waiting for an appointment, etc.

You can do another option on your computer. I have all my preview images in a folder "My SG Materials." That automatically sorts alphabetically by designer, which is often useful. I've made another copy, and sorted it into seven subfolders: Pastel_Clear, Pastel_Muted, Color_Clear, Color_Tones, Brights, Saturated_Tones, Neutrals. Try not to agonize on where a preview goes--when you open a folder it will either "fit in" or stick out like a sore thumb. Hope this helps.

gallery_17172_358_42296.png
Scrap10-Blinkie.gif  SGblinkie.gif  SG_BB_LoveThis.png  BLINKIES_MOM-Past.gif
Scrapper | Wife | Mother | Friend | Soprano | Traveler
Rotarian | CEO, Auction Systems
| Recovering Perfectionist

#5 J9Buckles

J9Buckles

Scrappin' in the Great White North

• Members
  • 7,769 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 08:29 PM

I have added an equals sign to the beginning of the name of each sheet of embellishments. Now when I'm searching for embellishments I'll go to Picassa and do a search for = ....then all of my embellishment sheets load! It's really quick.

#6 BarbaraC1977

BarbaraC1977

Organizational Diva -- loves to play with supplies!

• Members
  • 5,375 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 11:02 PM

Janine, that's a great idea! You could do a different symbol for other types of files, too.

Since I have Bulk Rename Utility, that'll be very quick and easy to implement.

gallery_17172_358_42296.png
Scrap10-Blinkie.gif  SGblinkie.gif  SG_BB_LoveThis.png  BLINKIES_MOM-Past.gif
Scrapper | Wife | Mother | Friend | Soprano | Traveler
Rotarian | CEO, Auction Systems
| Recovering Perfectionist

#7 KFiasco

KFiasco

Scrap Girl Messageboard Wise One

• Members
  • 8,354 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 12:28 AM

Great ideas, Janine and Barbara. I'll have to try that someday when I'm bored and have some serious time on my hands.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#8 elibar

elibar

If there's a cure for this, I don't want it!

• Design Team
  • 12,118 posts
  • Personal Statement:Love your God. Learn His ways. Live for others.

Posted 03 September 2010 - 06:00 AM

I use Picasa too, and love it!! And since all the designers here use a standardized file naming system, it makes for an easy search in Picasa. I sometimes rename my files, but rarely. A search using "sheet" will bring up all the contact sheets, and I can see them all at once. And I can add a designer to that too - say I know that Brandy's designed just the starfish I want to use, but I cant remember which collection it's in. I'll search BMU and sheet. Then I can browse all of Brandy's embellishments in my stash. (ah, there it is - it's in Peaceful Collection Biggie!)

gallery_11196_66_57667.png
siggie credits
Elisha Barnett
my latest products (click to view):

EBA_Collection_DaffodilDays_MKTG_150.jpg EBA_PaperMini_FreshPaint_MKTG_150.jpg  EBA_CollectionBiggie_Afresh_MKTG_150.jpg EBA_BrushSet_PapercutLadies2_MKTG_150.jp

BLINKIES_Prayer.gifDesigner-sm-1.pngSG-10thAnniversary-Blinkie.gif

#9 Sara Arell

Sara Arell

Scrap Girls Messageboard Wise One

• Members
  • 50,776 posts
  • Personal Statement:Let There Be Peace On Earth and Let It Begin With Me!

Posted 04 September 2010 - 04:34 AM

That's a great idea, Elisha -

At one time before i had so many collections, I had a separate folder for each designer - and i loved keeping my collections that way; however, now that i have so many, it would take me forever to go back and do it that way again - now, i usually have a pretty good idea of what collection I think I want to start my layout with and know who designed it but still find myself occasionally jumping through hoops when I am just not sure what i want to do - it can be confusing and had I known I would wind up with so many collections I would have done it much differently and kept better track of my "designer folders" That was so easy and I let it get away from me. I use Picassa now for the most part but still maintain mu download
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#10 J9Buckles

J9Buckles

• Members
  • 7,769 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 12:38 PM

The other reason I add an equals sign to the beginning of the name of a contact sheet is to keep it the first file in a folder. I keep my collections together but if there are 3 folders of embellishments, as in a "collection biggie", I move the individual files & contact sheets into one folder. The contact sheets sometimes, because things are filed alphabetically, get lost amidst the rest of the images. An = sign at the beginning keeps all of the contact sheets at the top of the list. :)

#11 elibar

elibar

If there's a cure for this, I don't want it!

• Design Team
  • 12,118 posts
  • Personal Statement:Love your God. Learn His ways. Live for others.

Posted 04 September 2010 - 05:52 PM

Oh, I see, Janine. Gotcha. I do the same thing with files and folders that I want to stay on top whan I sort. I just use an underscore ( _ ) at the beginning of the file name. The equals sign is a great idea and would be easier, as I wouldn't have to use the shift key! But I guess it's what I'm used to now... :)

gallery_11196_66_57667.png
siggie credits
Elisha Barnett
my latest products (click to view):

EBA_Collection_DaffodilDays_MKTG_150.jpg EBA_PaperMini_FreshPaint_MKTG_150.jpg  EBA_CollectionBiggie_Afresh_MKTG_150.jpg EBA_BrushSet_PapercutLadies2_MKTG_150.jp

BLINKIES_Prayer.gifDesigner-sm-1.pngSG-10thAnniversary-Blinkie.gif

#12 J9Buckles

J9Buckles

• Members
  • 7,769 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 08:33 PM

Oh, I see, Janine. Gotcha. I do the same thing with files and folders that I want to stay on top whan I sort. I just use an underscore ( _ ) at the beginning of the file name. The equals sign is a great idea and would be easier, as I wouldn't have to use the shift key! But I guess it's what I'm used to now... :)

LOL It also makes my search for the sheets easier....if I used an underscore everything would be included in the results. :)

#13 tinkerbell11

tinkerbell11

Collector of shoes, wearer of FLIP FLOPS

• Creative Team
  • 12,437 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 09:25 PM

Good point...do you print your sheets out?

I will be honest, I used to print them, but now I have so many collections it is a bit to overwhelming! I keep the sheets as a preview in my collections.

gallery_10753_358_55511.png
Button_Welcome.pngSG_BB_LoveThis.pngButton_Published.pngSG-10thAnniversary-Blinkie.gif

#14 KarinaS

KarinaS

Margarita Mama!

• Members
  • 3,019 posts
  • Personal Statement:If a doctor tells you to have a colonoscopy, PLEASE do not put it off - make an appointment TODAY.

Posted 05 September 2010 - 08:41 PM

I have all of mine in a subfolder in my embellishments folder and sometimes I look through them to see if anything catches my eye that I want to use. If I know I am looking for a heart or a button, however, I just look in my subfolder that is called Hearts or Buttons. I don't print them out.
Posted Image
Siggie by Rosemary-with a tiny touch added by me ;)

I use PSE 6.0 & Vista

Colorectal cancer awareness-please schedule your colonoscopy today
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Please visit my gallery

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users