Will My Wpg Tags Follow My Supplies To Ehd?

naninca

Well, I've now filled up my laptop. Time to put either my photos or digital supplies on an EHD. I have a new 1TB EHD.

But, all my lovely supplies have been painstakingly organized in Windows Photo Gallery (Vista). If I move them over to the EHD, will I lose my tagging? And, am I best off moving them manually, or using Synctoy or some other program? (It would be nice to have everything synced with my desktop, too, but more for backup than for frequent use.)

Thanks in advance for any suggestions you might have!

Nancy

I'm mostly bumping this up the list for you, but here's what I know from the program I use: ACDSee, and it might be the same for you: If I wanted to move all my supplies to EHD, I would need to do so from within ACDSee. All tagging should remain. But if I flubbed and moved the items just by opening their folders and dragging them over, all tags would be lost b/c ACDSee would have no idea what I did with the files. It would still know where they WERE when I tagged them, but wouldn't know where they went now. From ACDSee I can highlight everything I want to move and right-click move-to and choose the new place to put them.

HTH:)

I'm a die-hard Windows Photo Gallery fan, and am glad to meet another. JPG files can be moved via Windows or via WPG and will retain tags. All PNG files (embellishments, scallop-edged or torn papers, alphas, word-art, etc, should be manipulated inside WPG to retain their tags.

On your EHD, you'll want to make sure it gets the same drive letter, e.g. F: each time you use it, or the tags won't be retained.

Note, there are some other interesting threads here around other ways to identify specific kinds of files; I'm looking at these because they are all PERMANENT and do NOT rely on tags.

Archived