Raw Photos To Photoshop 7

JACookie

I was hoping someone here could help me. My husband borrowed a Nikon SLR camera on our last vacation and shot all of our photos in raw format. When I go to open the photos in photoshop 7 (very old) it gives this error. "Unable to use the camera raw plug-in. It is not compatible with this version of photoshop." Do you have any suggestions? Is there a way to convert them from raw to regular photos. My husband has tried all he knows without going to a professional LOL. I thought I would ask the pros here first. Thanks so much for all your help. I love it here and hope I will eventually be able to give out more information than I take:]

Luvs,

Jennifer

I don't think RAW photos were able to be processed until Photoshop's CS versions. I have CS3 and I can edit them there. If you aren't planning to upgrade, then you might try changing the file extension of one of the photos to .jpg. So, if a photo is called IMG352 just change its name to IMG352.jpg and see if your version of PS can use it then. Sometimes, you can trick the program! If that works, then go ahead and change them all. You also might consider purchasing the RAW plug-in if there is one compatible with PS7. It might be something you'll use and I am positive that it would be cheaper than upgrading!

I hope you can manage to get them somehow without spending a fortune on a professional!

Good luck!

Hmmmmm...Did you try to google for RAW photo viewers? There's a chance that a freeware is floating around somewhere. OR you could download a free trial of PhotoshopCS5 (Adobe has them right on its site) and do what you need to do to your photos then cancel your trial. You might also call a local community college or highschool and see if they have computers you could use with PS on them. You could convert them to .jpg and burn them to a DVD or save them to a flash drive and then work on them at home.

HTH!

Archived