Introduce Myself And A Question

elisabeth64

Hello everyone, my name is Elisabeth and I'm relatively green at digital. I just purchased the curvy shaped mats and for the life of me can't figure out how to make the outer mat different, (Like the bird examples on the set) or to add a different color in the outline (like the joy example) I thought they would be different layers, but they aren't and I'm stumped. Could someone help out a newbie? Thanks so much!!! OH, I use PSE7.

Hi Elisabeth! So nice to meet you, welcome to Scrapgirls! Can you post a link to the boutique for this specific product ( go to the page with it on it and ctrl c then post into a post in this thread) I am not sure if I know what porduct you are referring too, then maybe I can help.

Hi Elisabeth, welcome to Scrap Girls and thanks for purchasing my Curvy Mats. So you want to know my secrets?

I'd create a custom shape to the biggest size I'd want to use it at then rasterize it. (Elements people, help me out here, please.) I'd make TWO duplicates of the layer (so you have three layers). The I'd use my magic wand (set at contiguous) and select the outer border and delete it, on layer #2 I'd select the center part and delete it and on the last layer, I'd select the space in between the two parts. Then I'd add a blank layer, and fill using the paint tool. I'd then add styles to each and go from there. Hope that helps, I'm typing fast because my dogs are hungry, lol--dinner comes before scrapping in their tiny world. Let me know if you have more questions, someone here can help, or I'll get back to you tomorrow afternoon.

Hi Elisabeth, welcome to Scrap Girls and thanks for purchasing my Curvy Mats. So you want to know my secrets?

I'd create a custom shape to the biggest size I'd want to use it at then rasterize it. (Elements people, help me out here, please.) I'd make TWO duplicates of the layer (so you have three layers). The I'd use my magic wand (set at contiguous) and select the outer border and delete it, on layer #2 I'd select the center part and delete it and on the last layer, I'd select the space in between the two parts. Then I'd add a blank layer, and fill using the paint tool. I'd then add styles to each and go from there. Hope that helps, I'm typing fast because my dogs are hungry, lol--dinner comes before scrapping in their tiny world. Let me know if you have more questions, someone here can help, or I'll get back to you tomorrow afternoon.

In Elements you "rasterize" a layer by clicking on the Simplify button which appears along the Shape Tool Bar at the top of your workspace. If you forget to do it at that time and the button disappears on you, you can go to the Shape's layer in the Layers Palette (it's thumbnail image will be grey, not white like the rest of your layers), right click on it and choose Simplify. Now you can carry on and duplicate the layers etc... :)

Hope that help!

Hi Elisabeth - welcome to Scrap Girls - I wish I could help you but I use Photoshop primarily and I am sure someone will come along very soon to answer your question - everyone is such a huge help around here.

Thanks for the explanation Valerie!!

So basically, you need 3 layers of the same shape:

One layer of just the outer border, one of the center section, and a 3rd layer created from the blank space.

When you have each of these layers, you can either apply a style from the special effects menu, color it with the paint bucket, or clip photos/papers to the layer.

Elisabeth, if you have any more questions, feel free to ask.

OK, that makes sense...off to play a bit, thanks so much!!

Archived