Organizing On A Mac

mrstucci

I am a really newbie with digital scrapbooking and so far all my time has been spent trying to find the bet way to organize my purchases. I like how Ro organized hers (on a Windows machine) in folders. That's nice. Just wondering if there are other Mac users that have found the 'best' way to organize all those papers, embellishments, etc. I would love to get some more ideas! As for Ro's way, I can do the folder thing but I don't think there is a way to show the contents of the folder on the outside of the folder- there is not an option for folder view, show thumbnails. If there is a way to do this on a Mac, just let me know! Love my Mac but need some help! Judy

Hey Judy, you mentioned you have PSE 4 in another post. If so, then you have the PSE Organizer with it. You can use that to organize your goodies. I'm actually changing my organzing system into that.

Here's what I've done. I created a new catalog to show m digi elements. So I have one catalog for my photos and one for my digi elements. I have created categories exactly as Ro decribed, as well as Categories under the People tab of all of the designers. I have then tagged all of my elements according to both designer and color or type of element. This way, if I'm looking for something by a particular designer (which I still need to do at times), I can find it easily. Or, if I need a blue paper, I can double click on that category and find that. Or if I need a Grungy Alpha, I can find that easily too! I'm soo thrilled to have it sorted like this now!

I have PSE4 but I have a Mac and I don't think there is an Organizer built into the Mac version..... I have seen Bridge but that's not the same thing. Please correct me (anyone) if I am wrong about this.... Judy

Hi Judy,

I'm not sure how to add an image to the outside of a folder quickly, but I do know how to use an image in place of a folder. Lets say you have a photo you want to put onto a folder. Click once on your photo and type command(or apple)-I. You'll get your get info box. At the top you can see the thumbnail of the photo. Click on it and hit copy. Then if you go to the folder you want to place your image onto, type command-I again, click onto the thumbnail of the folder, and then hit command-V (for paste). You'll no longer have your folder visual, but the photo thumbnail in place. You can create your own custom icons or thumbnails to use, and to help you get organized.

Erica

hi Judy,
You mentioned elsewhere organizing in iPhoto. I think that's a FANTASTIC way to go. iPhoto is already an organizing tool. You can create "albums" by color or "albums" by designer or "albums" by style. You can still view them by date purchased in your main library if you load them when you buy them.

The original files will remain wherever you put them and you will have a natural backup in the iPhoto Library.

• 2 months later...
Guest staceywk
[quote name='ericahite' post='55633' date='Aug 9 2006, 09:42 AM']Hi Judy,

I'm not sure how to add an image to the outside of a folder quickly, but I do know how to use an image in place of a folder. Lets say you have a photo you want to put onto a folder. Click once on your photo and type command(or apple)-I. You'll get your get info box. At the top you can see the thumbnail of the photo. Click on it and hit copy. Then if you go to the folder you want to place your image onto, type command-I again, click onto the thumbnail of the folder, and then hit command-V (for paste). You'll no longer have your folder visual, but the photo thumbnail in place. You can create your own custom icons or thumbnails to use, and to help you get organized.

Erica[/quote]
I'm trying to do this, but I get the jpeg icon, not a thumbnail. Do you know how I can change the jpeg icon to a thumbnail?
Thanks!
Stacey

Thanks Erica, I will give that a try. Stacey- I hope that you have figured out how to make it a thumbnail instead of a jpeg...... post your solution if you figured it out. I have pretty much organized all my digi stuff on iPhoto and have over 5000 'things!' I have assigned keywords- like ribbons, bows, heritage, etc. Still not 100% happy with all the keywords but for now that's what I have. Judy

• 1 month later...
Guest staceywk
Here's the directions for putting the image on to the file folder when you just have the jpg icon & not the picture when you do the command i

1. Open the image (not just the Get Info box) that you want to make
the icon. (I had to use PS, not preview to open, which I think was my problem before)

2. Do a Command-A to select the entire image.

3. Do Command-C to copy the selection.

4. Open the Get Info box for the file or folder for which you want to
replace the icon.

5. Click on the icon in the Get Info box to select it.

6. Do Command-V to paste the selection into the icon.

This worked for me. I'm still trying to figure out the best viewer/sorter - may try Viewit. Does anyone like it? I don't like iphoto since I can't view my black images except when they're large, also I don't know how to set up a separate library for pictures & scrapbook elements. Also, I'm getting really into brushes & they don't show in iphoto.

Right now I'm using the bridge for sorting.
Stacey

Thanks for that tip. I know what you mean about iPhoto and it's displaying some images black unless viewed large. I tried Viewit but you can't set up categories so I gave that up (at least I think that is the program I tried this with and I even wrote to the company that makes it and he said that as of right now, no, it doesn't do keywords.) I am using iPhoto Library Manager and I like it for setting up different albums. I have one for photos and one for digital stuff. I have set up keywords in iPhoto for the digital stuff but I am sure that some of it needs some fine tuning. For the most part it is working for me. Not perfect but I haven't found anything better. I found the Bridge very cumbersome and slow. I didn't like it at all. I haven't figured out how to utilize anything that would be there onto a layout in PSE4. Haven't tried real hard because I just didn't like it. You can create a new library without using iPhoto Library Manager- make sure iPhoto is closed. When you go to open it, hold down the Option key and from there you can create a new Library. Sure would like to find something that would work with all images!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Judy

Archived