Brush Organization

StamperCat

I am trying to find a system of brush organization that will make it easy to find the type of brush I want when I am creating a layout. I use iPhoto for organizing my other materials, importing a whole collection at a time as an event, then assigning keywords and using smart folders to be able to bring up what I am looking for. But, as you know, brushes don't import with a picture, so iPhoto is no help.

I have looked at the videos Ro has made and see she has brush folders by artist. Knowing an artist won't help me when I want to look at all my alphabet brushes, for instance. I have made the Goodie folder on my desktop, as she suggested. So I thought maybe you have to then make presets that would contain the like brushes. I am new to the brush angle of scrapbooking, so I fumbled around with presets in PSCS4 today. Am I on the right track if I begin making presets as the best way of organizing brushes? My idea was to have a preset for Alphabets, one for Grunge, one for Swirls, one for Frames, etc. Will the presets get too big if I continue to add like brushes this way? Is there a better way for designing the presets?

Also, what are the thoughts on keeping collections together? Is it easier to split up a collection by putting the brushes into the brush folder, the embellishments into an embellishment folder, etc.? And what are the thoughts about where to keep the .png brush files? Is it better to keep those with the brushes so you can see what they look like or with the embellishments?

Would really appreciate what anyone else has found as they tried out ways to organize brushes.

Thanks in advance. :justthinkingabout it:

Hi! Check out this tutorial by Ro in our University:

Organizing Your Digital Scrapbook Brushes in Photoshop or Photoshop Elements

It's super useful, and I hope it gives you a better idea of things. Presets might just be too time-consuming. :P

Personally, I keep collections together and then search for what I need in Picasa. I keep the brush PNGs with the brushes, just because it's easier to see things and sometimes it's much easier to just grab the PNG than install the brush!

Hi Shirley. I also load my brushes one at a time like Heidi does (though I do load a few of the grunge brushes and stitching brushes that I use a lot.

I learned a lot about categorizing my brushes from Shalae's Mastering Brushes for PSE. If I remember correctly, you scrap with PSCS. There is a Mastering Brushes for PS also. THis book is great for organizing and design parts would be very applicable to anyone. It's an excellent ebook. I've seen this book taught here at ScrapGirls as a class. Everyone who takes it loves it. I've not taken it yet, but have worked through the book (and parts of it several times to absorb it better).

HTH

I organize my brushes into categories; as you said, I have alphas, overlays, swirls, etc. I started out with a few and it has just evolved over time. As for organizing supplies, I don't keep my collections together, except for the newest club collections. I keep them together for a while because I like to make at least one layout with each new club selection. Is that silly? I think it probably is.

• 1 month later...

I have just finished organizing my brushes in PSE 6 and do see how to load them when I want them, which gives me the brush one file at a time, but when I want to see all the brushes that i have in a certain category, how do i load them to see all the brushes in a given category in my brush menu?

Archived