Creating A Desktop Layout?

Mikelle

This question probably also has a simple answer... I'm seeing beautiful desktop layouts in the gallery from people who are playing the September game (Simplify September.) I crashed the thread but couldn't find any info on how to SIZE a layout correctly for my monitor. I would love to create some layouts I could use as background on my computer, both at home and at work. I'm sure the monitor sizes are different (don't ask me what sizes, no clue at the moment!), so how do I make sure a LO is going to be the right size for my monitor, and do I need to have LO's specific for each monitor size, or can you re-size on LO to fit two different monitors?

Well your monitor size is generally listed on the monitor itself. So just create your Lo to those exact measurements. You can resize provided both monitors are the same general shape. But if one is wide screen and one is more square there would be distortion.

Once you start creating desktops, you won't want to stop. And the Desktop chats are wonderful and fun to attend. I always seem to forget when they are happening, but I always make myself a new desktop. Glad that you are going to give it a whirl. It's very easy to do.

We've had a few people who can't find the right information, so I just wanted to make sure everyone saw this (it's what's contained in the link that Theresa gave above) - how to determine the size of your monitor for creating a desktop background:

PC Directions:

To get the size you need for your layout, right-click anywhere on your desktop. A menu will pop up, select Properties (or for Vista, it will say "Personalize"). In Properties select Settings. There you should see a sliding bar for Screen Resolution. Under that you will see something like "1440 by 900pixels". Write that down and click Cancel.

For Windows XP users, right-click anywhere on your desktop, go to Properties> Settings. You will see a sliding bar for "Screen Resolution." Write those numbers down and click Cancel.

For Windows Vista users, right-click anywhere on your desktop, go to Personalize> Settings.

For Windows 7 users, right-click anywhere on your desktop, and choose Screen Resolution.

Open your scrapbooking software, and create a new image in the size of your screen resolution (For example, mine is 1280x800). You don't have to scrap at 300dpi for your desktop (you can use 72dpi), but if you do, you can print that layout later!

When you're designing your desktop, remember to leave space for your icons! When you finish, save a copy as a JPG. (Make sure it's a copy, you want your original layered file in case you want to make changes.) Open up the folder you saved your JPG in, find the right file, and then right-click and choose "Set As Desktop Background".

MAC Instructions (Provided by Zaz, THANKS!):

Go to System Preferences and click on Display. Here you will find the dimensions of your desktop. It will also warn you if the size you have chosen will stretch your image.

I save my image to the desktop and change it at System Preferences (click on Desktop).

Archived