Help With Mjo Ss Alpha Tmpl Vintage Photo

SJDodd

Hi All - I purchased the MJO SS Alpha Template Vintage Photo set a while back (I confess, at least a year ago.) There are several layers in each PSD file which need to be colored.

One of the layers, for example, is the background. One layer is a butterfly.

Can someone explain to me how I am suppossed to color these layers while still allowing the natural look to come through? (Sorry, I am not explaining this well!)

For example, the butterfly has some shades that are light and dark, I don't imagine I am suppossed to dump color into each section??

Why do I feel so lost with this? It's really a beautiful set, which I would like to use, but I have just not been able to figure it out!

Thanks for any help...I'm using PSE.

Sandy

For help with this embellishment template, you might like to see the Embellishment Templates and the Paper Template sections of the new eBook 1 Scrap Girls ScrapSimple Instructions Handbook (Free ScrapSimple basics eBook). You should find some great help!

I like to recolor these templates in two ways:

1. clip a hue/saturation adjustment layer above the layer you want to recolor and recolor the object in a color picked from my layout. The texture should show through and you can adjust the sliders to get the perfect color.

2. clip a solid color adjustment layout to the layer you want to recolor, in a color I've picked from my layout. Then I can change the blend mode of the solid color until I see my texture show through.

I believe both of these methods are covered in the ebook!

Elisha beat me to the punch on this one. That new eBook is AMAZING! It's 191 pages long and chock full of how-to's for all the ScrapSimple products...and it's FREE! If that doesn't answer your question, please come back and ask for clarification!

I spent some time looking through the e-book, and it's great! The instructions included in the book are the same instructions that came with the templates...

They seem to work fine for some of the layers, but how would I go about coloring in the different butterflies that are on the numbered templates? (I would like to use this for a calendar cover, 2011.)

Would it help if I uploaded one of the templates?

Thanks again!

Sandy

I'm not familiar with the set that you are using but have coloured butterflies for other kits. You can clip a paper to them (use layers), then use the hue saturation or blend modes to get a look that you like. Also, if your butterfly template has sections, like stained glass, you can select your sections that you want coloured the same, on a new layer with contiguous on. Pour in a colour that goes with your layout, or clip on a paper, then lower the opacity, or use hue/saturation, or blend modes, or a combination. Oh, styles would also work, especially on the veins or divisions. Have fun and I HTH's :-)

Sandy - I know the templates you're working with and I have them in my stash. You should be able to use either of the methods that I described above to change the color of the butterfly layer. If you tell us what you've tried and why it's not giving you the look you want, I'll be happy to help you further.

Thank you all, again, really. I am going to spend some more time trying the layer blending modes, etc. Maybe my skills are just not up to that level yet!! I can't imagine that I could do it on one of the templates, let alone duplicate it on the remaining 4 letters!

More to follow...

I appreciate the input!!

Sandy

By four letters, do you mean that you've made a word? If so, you can work on them together by making a word art piece, then add it into your layout. I generally do it as a word art piece and save it as a png, in case I want to use it in the future. When you have layered them into a transparent background and have aligned them the way you want, you can merge visible and they'll all be on one layer to work with. If you decided to work with them on your layout, start with the top one and merge down until you have them all on one layer, then you can work on the colours, styles, etc. I find it easier to work on all of them at the same time, rather than seperately and would only do them seperately if they were the beginning letter to words or sentences.

If you have several items that you want to use the same settings for, write the settings down for the first one in your notebook or on a pad, then you will have them to use on the next piece.

Before you merge them, you can make sure to keep them all the same size by selecting the top one, hold down the shift key and select the bottom one and they will all highlight. You can then use your pointer on the layout alpha box to resize them all at the same time.

There is nothing wrong with your skills. It takes time to learn new things and digital scrapbooking is a learning process that never ends. If you're willing to try new things and do some experimentation - which you seem to be - you will excel at learning the program in no time. Have fun with it and have a great day!

I hope that I've understood what your question is, but if not, you can always reply to this thread or start a new one.

There are many ways to do things, so what I have said is what I do. Others will have other ways of doing these things.. :-)

Thank you so much, Heatheranne!

Once I work on the template, maybe I'll come back and post it for extra help...I am indeed a work in progress! Some days I have more energy to try new things than others...

Happy weekend!

Sandy

Archived