Scrapbook Factory

LadyL

Has anyone ever used this program? I normally use CS4 but also have PSE 7 and 8 and PSP X111 though I hardly use those. I saw Scrapbook Factory while on my recent holiday to the USA and bought it as it was only $40 so I won't lose much if it doesn't work very well.

Lynda

Hi Lynda. Glad your trip was good (saw that on the other thead). I know there are some folks around here who have played with Scrapbook Factory. I am not one of them, but I'm sure they'll chime in when the see the post. I think you're pretty well covered for software though....lol ;)

I started way back when with scrapbook factory. It has it's own format. When I used to use it I would make my pages then export them to Jpeg format. I'm not sure if you can pull SG products into the program to use them within the program. I stopped using it when I discovered SG! You might be able to use jpegs in it like you would with a photograph. I stopped using it because I outgrew it's limitations. It was a great beginner program, but now I use CS4 and prefer it over Scrapbook Factory.

Way back when I used one of those scrapbook programs a little, but never really got into it much. I don't remember which one it is. When I found Scrap Girls I started using PSE and later switched to CS4. I use CS5 now and love it. This week I'm on my laptop which only has PSE6, and I miss some of the things on CS5, especially the scripts. Just play around with thee programs you have and you'll find out what works the best for you.

I started out with this, too. But it didn't take me long to want to do more than the program would allow. If you have CS4, that will do everything and anything you want. But have fun with Scrapbook Factory! It never hurts to have more toys to play with, lol!

I had a friend who used Scrapbook Factory, but once I showed her my PSE and Photoshop, she switched - there are a lot of limitations but I did think it was a great started application - I think you should use whatever you are comfortable with really. I installed her Scrapbook Factory on my computer just to try it out and found that I could not use all the SG products that I use - and since my favorite place to be is Scrap Girls, I went back to my Photoshop and have never looked back! More versatility in PSE and Photoshop!

I too, started with Scrapbook Factory, when I found it on a trip to the US!!! ;-)

But I abandoned it very quickly when I learned more about digi-scrapping.

First of all since I found it to be a killer memory-hog!!! It made my PC sloooooow...

And also, if you know how to use the other softwares you have - Scrapbook Factory won't add anything to your experience.

On the contrary - it will hold you back and make you frustrated...

wow what a lot of replies in such a short time! I installed Scrapbook Factory after I posted yesterday and had a quick look at it. I'm not impressed with it at all, it will only let you use what it has built in already. I tried to open a SG kit with only to be told the folders are empty. I guess if I lived out in the bush where there's no internet coverage (and therefor had never heard of SG lol) and had a peddle powered computer I would think SF is wonderful but as it is I'll be giving it a miss. I'm glad it was only 40 bucks, 30 really as it came with a $10 redemption on the box which my DIL claimed lol. If I hadn't bought it I'd have kicked yself so I'm glad I gave it a go.

Lynda

Hi Lynda,

Sorry it didn't work for you - I think you would like PSE or even Photoshop if you could give them a try. Maybe you could download a trial version of either one of these and see what you think!

Looks as if you got some good experienced advice here! Good luck and happy scrapping with whichever application you choose!

• 11 months later...

I guess I will be in the minority. I started with Scrapbook Factory Deluxe, used some of their layouts, but I found that I could down load papers, elements and other things and use them in Scrapbook Factory. When I've had them printed out (cheaper than using my own printer most of the time) people have actually commented about the layouts and what program was I using. They are usually surprised when I tell them SBFD. There are limitations, mostly I've found it to be with the shadowing (it doesn't let you shadow some of it's own elements)and fonts. I find it can do more than I had originally thought. It does work in layers just not the type of layers that the others do, in SBFD you can send something to the back or bring it to the front very easily and I find this is quite different than actually working in layers themsleves( I am trying to learn PSP7, I have an older computer:)..), masking I am not sure of, have not worked much with them, overlays I can use, tubes..don't know. One thing I do know is that it is very easy to learn and not nearly the number of steps involved to create something that is actually quite nice. I am sure once I get the hang of another program I will wonder why it seemed so hard, but right know I have to keep re-learning the same things over and over and still haven't really made an "oh I think I'll keep that one" layout with PSP7. Why am I trying if I'm mostly satisfied with SBF, I'm not sure, I think it's thinking I can do more with the photos themsleves and the fonts, and seriouly just to make some of my own background pages to use in SBFD LOL. I can use PNG files, PDF files, I even figured out how to save some of my print shop stuff in a file I can use! I think one of the main reasons I want to try learn PSP is to be able to swirl my own ribbons , pearls etc. in the places and positions I want them to be, not just copy and paste someone else's swirls, fold back the corners of my own pages etc. Not sure I will stay with PSP, will give it my best shot, maybe will have to try PSE or something. Just play with SBFD and I think you may find it to be more than you initialy thought. Like burn DVD's, transfer it to TV and all that jazz! LOL

Archived