Ugh... Frustration... Have To Blow My Computer Away!

ScrapGirlsRo

I don't know if you remember this, but a couple of years ago I had my computer store build me a monster machine. I needed to run CS4 and my old machine just wouldn't hack it. Since I store so much stuff, I have 4 big hard drives on it, etc. It's the computer I use everyday. The computer I scrapbook with. The computer I design with... do web work with...

You get the idea.

Well, I've been struggling with it lately. I've had to uninstall software, move my iTunes library to another drive, etc. It has started to hang up on me. I've had do so a number of force shut-downs. Very frustrating. I was trying to get it to last a little while longer before I upgraded to Windows 7... It's such a big project to reinstall everything!

Today, I decided I better get at updating Photoshop Elements Secrets so I could add a movie or two that covers the new features that PSE 9 offers. (Thank goodness the interface and the major functions look the same. I don't have to do a complete overhaul. Whew! Whew!)

Anyway, I bought it, downloaded it, and tried to install it. It got to a certain spot in the install and then started uninstalling itself. Then it hung up and I had to force close it.

So then I decided that maybe PSE 7 was causing issues with the PSE 9 install so I'd try uninstalling it. When I tried to uninstall it, it locked my entire computer up. I had to force-close it down. (I took PSE 8 off of this machine about 6 months ago because I was having issues with it.)

ACK! I am STUCK!

I have to blow my C drive away. It's getting fairly unusable and I need it to be usable. So today I'm backing everything up using SyncToy to my EHDs, deactivating my Adobe software and iTunes, etc. so installing them will be easier when I get it back and tomorrow... tomorrow... tomorrow will be the big day. It's going into the shop. Then I'll have them put Windows 7 on it. (I am running Vista.) I hope that there isn't too many software titles I'm running now that won't work on Windows 7. I didn't have trouble when I upgraded my laptop to 7, but then again, I don't run that much software on it.

Has anyone had issues with software when they upgraded to Windows 7?

But really... what is wrong with me? I am already experiencing separating anxiety. I won't have it back until sometime next week and it makes me feel somewhat panicky.

I did some searches and found out that some people have had similar experiences installing PSE 9 and yet, I can't find any good answers for the problem. Has anyone upgraded yet? Did anyone else have installation issues?

(Wow... I sound like a big baby! HA!) :winking_baby:

Ugh, Ro that stinks! I have been running W7 from the day it came out with no hitches. I didn't have any issues with Vista either but find that W7 is much better on resources for sure.

Wow, this is awful!! I understand the separation anxiety...I would be in panic mode for sure. I have windows 7, and love it. It was installed on my laptop when I bought it. I still use PSE6 (I don't have problems with vista either...it's on my desk tops)

Hang in there.....it will be worth it!!

Oh, Ro, I hope it's better. I just got a Windows 7 64 bit computer, with 8GB of memory and a 7200 rpm drive about six weeks ago. I added in my other drive and an external.

I am LOVING it--Photoshop CS4 starts up in just a few seconds, as does PSE, Visual Studio, Office, Expression, Quickbooks, etc. If your computer is 64 bit, have them put in as much memory as you can afford. If it's 32 bit, then you're limited to somewhere between 2 and 4 GB, depending on the bios.

I'm running Vista and XP successfully on other computers, and no major problems there, but I wish my older computers at the office could support Windows 7--it's awesome!

I had so many problems and issues with Vista. I actually used the BETA version of Win7 months before it was released. Win7 is sooo much better. I hope (and pray) that this solves all your problems.

I am running Vista on my laptop and we have Win7 on the desktop and I have more problems w/the laptop than anything. It was just not the best OS Microsoft could have released. I hope things will run more smoothly after the upgrade. And your separation anxiety? I totally get it. If you think about it, the computer is a big part of your life. Your livelihood depends on it. It's hard to give up control of it, even when it's the best thing to do.

Ro, I am having issues with Adobe and XP for the first time... I think due to buying a bad copy of CS3.

I was able to do a system restore back to Oct 1, but because I recently replaced my OS hard drive,

it still doesn't acknowledge me as the "owner" and won't allow me to install programs without

admin permission. VERY FRUSTRATING! I AM the admin!

I can appreciate your frustrations. I am considering a MAC to replace this 2gb non-upgradable Dell.

DH is encouraging me in this direction, since I need to purchase CS5 anyway.

Hope Win7 works for what ails you! I like XP myself, normally.

Ro, I am having issues with Adobe and XP for the first time... I think due to buying a bad copy of CS3.

I was able to do a system restore back to Oct 1, but because I recently replaced my OS hard drive,

it still doesn't acknowledge me as the "owner" and won't allow me to install programs without

admin permission. VERY FRUSTRATING! I AM the admin!

I can appreciate your frustrations. I am considering a MAC to replace this 2gb non-upgradable Dell.

DH is encouraging me in this direction, since I need to purchase CS5 anyway.

Hope Win7 works for what ails you! I like XP myself, normally.

Yea! Barb is thinking about going Mac! Let's keep talking to Ro and convince her too! Ro, you won't have these problems with a Mac.

Sorry...but I am a committed PC user. It would cost me tens of thousands of dollars just to replace software! Besides, I like PCs... And no money honey to dream of getting a new computer... I paid enough for this particular computer that I could have purchased a nice, small used car in its place. I'm pretty much committed to it (more like married). The tech told me that many people blow their computer away once a year simply because it forces them to clean house. And THAT is what I need. I really can't blame anyone for this problem but myself because I have junked it up!

Poor little computer.... Mommy has been abusing you. But no worries... I'm taking you to the doctor that yells, "It's a great day at PC Laptops!" whenever I enter the door. When you come home, I'll install all of that Adobe software that you love so much and draw you some ice cream cones in a nice, fact PSD file....

It won't hurt...much...

Hope your baby comes back all well, Ro! I'm feeling your pain as I think I've been abusing my little pink computer. She takes 5 minutes to save my layouts, and is constantly hanging up. I'm afraid, very afraid....Been trying to do everything I can to keep her going, but I think I'm going to have to take her to the doctor soon. Waaaaaahhhhh!

Oh I totally "get" the separation anxiety! And my computer's doctor lives in house:) (Good 'ol DH) We don't like our babies to be sick, that's for sure!

I hope your computer is all better and back home with you where it/he/she belongs soon!

Sorry...but I am a committed PC user. It would cost me tens of thousands of dollars just to replace software! Besides, I like PCs... And no money honey to dream of getting a new computer... I paid enough for this particular computer that I could have purchased a nice, small used car in its place. I'm pretty much committed to it (more like married). The tech told me that many people blow their computer away once a year simply because it forces them to clean house. And THAT is what I need. I really can't blame anyone for this problem but myself because I have junked it up!

Poor little computer.... Mommy has been abusing you. But no worries... I'm taking you to the doctor that yells, "It's a great day at PC Laptops!" whenever I enter the door. When you come home, I'll install all of that Adobe software that you love so much and draw you some ice cream cones in a nice, fact PSD file....

It won't hurt...much...

Well, Ro, I understand that - hope your baby comes home brand new and that you are able to do all you want to do on it after it returns from the doctor! It will hurt you more than it will hurt the computer - just being without it - so have some ice cream while you wait! LOL

Isn't it nice to know you can express yourself (even if you feel like you are sounding like a baby) to your friends? I hope your issues resolve with all the changes you are making!

I am a PC user. Always have been and always will be. it would cost too much money and time to change over to a MAC. I've been using PC's for over 15 years and I love them.

I run Vista and am finally used to it. Have the trial of PSE9, which is running out. I'd better get a license for PSE9. I still have PSE8 on my computer, so I can always use that till I get the license for #9. I've not had any problems with it since I downloaded it. The one thing that I love about 9 is that when you add a style to your layout, you can use your arrow keys to nudge your item. No more CTRL+T every time you need to move something.

Anyway, I hope your computer comes back home to its Mommy soon. I know how it feels to be without a computer for even a few hours, let alone days. Hang in there Ro, it'll be home soon, all fixed up and brand new to boot.

Yikes! Now you have me scared, Ro. I have PSE 9 but haven't installed it on either computer yet. I have Vista on both computers and really haven't encountered problems with it. Hope I don't run into the trouble you have.

Ro, hope you have heard about how your baby is doing while at the computer doctor and just how much they've had to do to get it up and running for you - I know you must be going through withdrawal by now!

I do remember your trials & tribulations when you got your new PC, Ro, and I feel for you! I upgraded my 2 yr old Dell Desktop to Windows 7 (32 bit) recently and had to reinstall everything, but it was well worth it. You need to clean up your PC every couple years with a fresh install anyway. So hang tough with it!

And about Labor Day I decided to get a new laptop, one that would be even greater than my desktop, that I could run CS4 and all of my goodies from. I came "this close" to getting a Mac, but decided the expense of replacing all of the software and such was just too great. Some day I may, but we have three desktops in our home, plus my laptop and netbook and that would be a lot of replacing. (five pcs total and only 2 of us here - go figure)

So good luck and let us know when you are running as good as new again!

Archived