Today's Newsletter Tutorial By Ang Campbell

Crabcakes

What a wonderful tute! I TRY to do this kind of thing in PS CS4 but I am still fairly new at teaching myself this program.

When I TRY to change color/hue/almost any adjustment, it affects all layers. I would love to match colors to a photo while it is on the background, as that is easier than in a separate window, but I do not know how to make the change on JUST one layer. I have tried locking the layer, making it invisible and such. Nothing *I* know does the trick. I have the same issue with applying a gradient... It occurs on ALL layers. I also have that issue with a black and white layer... ALL layers are B&W or ALL color.

How can I make adjustments to one layer without it affecting all layers? Using layer styles seems to work fine on just one layer.

Thanks!lovey-smilie.gif

How can I make adjustments to one layer without it affecting all layers? Using layer styles seems to work fine on just one layer.

Thanks!lovey-smilie.gif

When you want to add an adjustment to just one item on your page, make sure you select it by Control + Clicking on its thumbnail in the layers palette first. This will automatically add a layer mask to the adjustment layer.

Styles always just apply to the layer you have selected.

Thank you, April! THAT was the secret! You ARE the DIVA! thanks.gif

Thanks!lovey-smilie.gif

When you want to add an adjustment to just one item on your page, make sure you select it by Control + Clicking on its thumbnail in the layers palette first. This will automatically add a layer mask to the adjustment layer.

Glad you figured this one out. There are some techniques - once learned, changed the way I scrapped forever! This is on of them. It has become a staple in my scrapping - use it on almost every layout!

You're welcome!

Thanks!lovey-smilie.gif

April, I just want to say THANK YOU again! It HAS changed a lot for me! I had to go out and did not get to play till now. I am ELATED to know this! cheeringdog.gif

I OWE you big time!

Thank you a million times over! ~ Susie

You're welcome!

Thanks!lovey-smilie.gif

It does Gayle! I use adjustment layers often. In this layout, Purrfect, I changed the word art, which was originally pink & blue, to a soft orange. I added a hue/saturation layer mask, moved the sliders until I had the colour I wanted and then clicked Ctrl+G to apply it to just the word art. It's a great trick .... or treat! :)

I'm so happy that the tutorial was helpful :) Wanna know a secret? I only figured out the beauty of Color Balance adjustment recently myself :) I had figured out a lot of work arounds with blending modes and other hue and saturation adjustments, but Color Balance adjustment is DEFINITELY the easiest :) Being able to coordinate my papers and embs perfectly to my pictures was probably the very first thing I fell in love with about digital scrapbooking. In fact I remember paper scrapping after learning a bit of digi and being SO frustrated by my inability to match papers to photos exactly LOL. Ever since the beginning I'm always exploring new ways to make things work together color-wise. I was excited to share this method with you :)

Love,

Ang

It does Gayle! I use adjustment layers often. In this layout, Purrfect, I changed the word art, which was originally pink & blue, to a soft orange. I added a hue/saturation layer mask, moved the sliders until I had the colour I wanted and then clicked Ctrl+G to apply it to just the word art. It's a great trick .... or treat! :)

thanks so much, Janine! You are the best!

:)

Archived