Thinking Of Dumping The .png Files Of Layered Templates

Elisha

I get very frustrated when I am browsing my supplies and I have to scroll and scroll through the individual .png files that come with layered templates - embellishment templates, alpha and layout templates. Now I can eliminate them when I'm searching for something by putting .psd in my search keywords (I only ever use the .psds), but if I'm just browsing it takes so long and my finger gets tired!

Tell me, before I just delete them all, if there is a good reason I need them. My organizing software (Picasa) recognizes and shows me the .psd files so I can see them, and If I use the template, I just bring in the psd into my editor.

You know Elisha, tis is a very good point you make. If you're a PS or PSE user, you really don't need the .png files since the software can read .psd files. I can't really think of any reason you'd want to keep them unless you think you're ever going to use software that doesn't recognize .psd files. Sometimes, I don't want to open the whole .psd file if I'm only using part of a template but you can still pick and choose layers from the .psd file and drag onto your working .psd file. I think I'm going to dump them too--unless someone else comes up with a compelling reason to keep them.

interesting... im always afraid of getting rid of something completely... I think its a great idea, but im more inclined to back up those files (organized the way i have them) onto a DVD or something, in case i ever... want to go back.

:)

What a great way to save some space too.. hmm... now you got me thinking...

Angela

Great idea. I'm just going to take the leap and delete them! .....AFTER I make sure they all have coordinating PSD files. :) Some of the older products don't have layered files so I've been going through and creating them, however, once I'm done that I'll delete the individual png files. I feel lighter already!

Interesting. I think I mistakenly deleted some PSD files back when I only used PSP...because I didn't realize PSP would open them. So now I'm having to recreate them. But now that I use PSE, I really see no reason to keep all the PNGs. Like you said, they just add more clutter to my files and take time/space to go through them all. If I ever was going to delete them, I would make sure to have a back-up copy of them all somewhere in case I wanted them again for some reason.

I'm a big chicken. I figure that as soon as I would delete them, I would really wish I hadn't. I'm with Aggie - I'll watch you all and see how it goes. If I hear any screaming from the Great White North or anywhere east of the Mississippi, I'll know I need to hang onto them. LOL!

Yep, I'm a big chicken too, and a hoarder. OMgosh, what if I can use it later? I've actually started file structure similar to my organization system to store them in, on my EHD separate from the original. But it's soooooo time consuming.

Maybe a better way would be to make a copy of all the folders in question onto a dvd. Then I could just delete delete delete from from my stash.

I would hate to delete them. I still use Paint.Net when I'm in a tearing hurry and just want to do something simple. Deleting the PSDs would "marry me" to Photoshop. I tend to take the long view, that assembled file formats change, but "purer" formats stay around.

Or maybe I'm just a nervous nellie. I'd put them on some type of backup medium if they bothered me, but I have a hard time contemplating deleting them. I vote for keeping them.

Yep, I'm a big chicken too, and a hoarder. OMgosh, what if I can use it later? I've actually started file structure similar to my organization system to store them in, on my EHD separate from the original. But it's soooooo time consuming.

Maybe a better way would be to make a copy of all the folders in question onto a dvd. Then I could just delete delete delete from from my stash.

Or buy a bigger EHD! LOL!

Interesting indeed! I would be 'lighter' too hmmmmm.... I have my supplies on my main harddisk, I may just split them up and put the pngs on the EHD. I like to keep them in a safe spot. And then if I really don't need them for a long time I could see myself deleting them. Good idea Elisha! Me too I hate seeing them all come up when I search for something.

Ok, I've done my backup. I've had to do a separate backup - creating a folder called PNG backup. I back-up my working files regularly, but I can't rely on that because the PNGs will no longer be there! Now in that folder, I'm just dumping everything that is a layered template, psd's and all - like dumping my stuff in a box without sorting it first. I really wanted to organize it more, but why?

Now if I saved a copy of all my .zip files as I download them, I wouldn't have to do this, but I like to back-up my file structure as it is, because I don't want to have to recreate it if I lost it.

ahhhh....

The first set of PNGs I'm gonna delete (because it drives me the craziest) is from ScrapSimple Alpha Templates: Vintage Photo! I love these, but every time I search for "butterfly," all those butterfly layers show up.

My plan is to do it on a first-come-first-serve basis, as my search results annoy me. Because as Ashleigh says, there are times when I do use part of a layered template - especially stitching or masks. Thanks, Ashleigh - after you said that, I remembered that I do that. I'll probably keep those.

But I'll love not seeing all the gray squares and circles and other shapes! I'll let you know how it goes.

I'm a big chicken. I figure that as soon as I would delete them, I would really wish I hadn't. I'm with Aggie - I'll watch you all and see how it goes. If I hear any screaming from the Great White North or anywhere east of the Mississippi, I'll know I need to hang onto them. LOL!

<------standing with Amy here

Deleting is well, so, um permanent!! What if ONCE in the next thousand years I might need that ONE thing and it was gone? But truly I never use them. Kinda makes you go hmmmmmmmmmmmm.

<----confessing now: I still have a room of paper scrapping things.....gasp but what if I might need that ONE thing....

I do use the png files but as I read through this thread, I don't think the ones I use are the ones from the layered templates. Sometimes a frame or something, but rarely the squares and lines. So, although I am no where near ready to go deleting them (DELETE a file??? on purpose???? lol) but I like the idea of moving the ones that annoy me when they clutter up a search.

The PNGs I could see myself deleting first would be the LO templates. Do I really need hundreds of tiny gray boxes in my supplies?

exactly. :wacko:

:rofl: No screaming (yet) from me, just some dancing at the thought of easily freeing up some space :dancingchicken:

Yes, I will back up all the pngs to a separate location before I delete them. Right now I have everything backed up on EHD. I will keep the pngs on their own dvd. Double backup should prevent screaming! :)

I will probably use Elisha's method of picking the most annoying png files to work with first. I feel FREE!!!!

I started deleting mine LONG ago ... never looked back. Sort of like stopping our land line phone service 4 years ago ... I was worried I might "need" it, but never have. Flyin' free and easy ... but, I think making a copy on to a DVD/backing up to EHD is a great way to go if you even "think" you might want them.

Hmmm.... I really need the drive space. I think backing them up then deleting is a good plan. thanks for bringing this up.

I hadn't thought of it either. Now it has me thinking...Anyone else think there needs to be a support group for this?

I started deleting mine LONG ago ... never looked back. Sort of like stopping our land line phone service 4 years ago ... I was worried I might "need" it, but never have. Flyin' free and easy ... but, I think making a copy on to a DVD/backing up to EHD is a great way to go if you even "think" you might want them.

ACK no land line? Have you gone stark raving mad? LOL

I know a lot of people who have done that. We have businesses that we run out of the home, so I can't imagine ever give that up. (two lines actually, have to have that fax you know......) And, since we are rural, we just never know about cell coverage, it's good most days!!

Okay, I use SyncToy to back up my hard drive to the EHD. All the files are currently in both places. If I delete the pngs from the template files on the hard drive, won't they still stay on the EHD the next time I run SyncToy? Or should I do a special back up?

Hmmm.... I really need the drive space. I think backing them up then deleting is a good plan. thanks for bringing this up.

I hadn't thought of it either. Now it has me thinking...Anyone else think there needs to be a support group for this?

Support group. :rofl:

Yup, I think this is it! :bighug:

Support group. :rofl:

Yup, I think this is it! :bighug:

LOL, when I read "Yup, I think this is it!" the smiley guy opened his arms at just that moment! I had to laugh out loud!

Archived