Thinking Of Dumping The .png Files Of Layered Templates

Elisha

Hmmm.... I really need the drive space. I think backing them up then deleting is a good plan. thanks for bringing this up.

I hadn't thought of it either. Now it has me thinking...Anyone else think there needs to be a support group for this?

Support group. :rofl:

Yup, I think this is it! :bighug:

Thought so........see, at least we know we aren't alone!

Okay, I use SyncToy to back up my hard drive to the EHD. All the files are currently in both places. If I delete the pngs from the template files on the hard drive, won't they still stay on the EHD the next time I run SyncToy? Or should I do a special back up?

I use a different software, but the basics are the same. Make sure you do a "source>target" rather than both directions when you run it, or they will all come right back. Also make sure the option to delete the items that aren't on the other drive is unchecked. I lost a bunch of freebies that way when I first installed the software on a different computer.

I might need that ONE thing and it was gone?

Just a thought .... it is not permanently gone. If it happened that you use one thing from these png's, you still have the psd file. You can either drag it to you LO from there or save a png of that one piece. It is not like you throw it all away.

Be sure to have some extra backup of your supplies anyway. I had a harddisk crash a few months ago and I was happy to have my harddisks work in mirror. I didn't loose anything. I have mirror working harddisks for both my main drive and my EHD. And I have a safety copy of all, both my main and EHD, that I keep off location (fire, someone breaking into my house, ....)and backup every 2 weeks.

Hmmm.... I really need the drive space. I think backing them up then deleting is a good plan. thanks for bringing this up.

I hadn't thought of it either. Now it has me thinking...Anyone else think there needs to be a support group for this?

Support group. :rofl:

Yup, I think this is it! :bighug:

Thought so........see, at least we know we aren't alone!

I always seem to need a SG support group :conversation: or SG hand-holding :grouphug2: for any change!!!

I started deleting mine LONG ago ... never looked back. Sort of like stopping our land line phone service 4 years ago ... I was worried I might "need" it, but never have. Flyin' free and easy ... but, I think making a copy on to a DVD/backing up to EHD is a great way to go if you even "think" you might want them.

ACK no land line? Have you gone stark raving mad? LOL

I know a lot of people who have done that. We have businesses that we run out of the home, so I can't imagine ever give that up. (two lines actually, have to have that fax you know......) And, since we are rural, we just never know about cell coverage, it's good most days!!

I'm about ready to dump my landline - the only calls I get on it are telemarketers (even though I'm on the no-call list), politicians, or survey people. Ugh!

I'm a hoarder as well as a PSP user. What I have done is move all the psd files to a folder in my shown folders and the png's are in a folder that Picasa and Window's Photo Gallery don't "look" in.

PSP users can use the psd files but don't see the previews without an extra little program called Thumbview.

As far as only backing up to an EHD don't forget they can and do fail. Not as often it seems as a working hard drive but I lost a 500 G desktop EHD and everything on it. Thank goodness it was my redundant drive anyway and I didn't lose anything.

I do backup my zip files so I could always go unzip them if I need to.

Yes, Dee - that's true! This thought prompts me go shopping for a new EHD. I had two, but I'm working on one right now, because I had one fail. I haven't been in a big hurry because I use Mozy, but I should have that second drive.

Im doing this! Already started and almost done with the deletes.

, wow what a difference its making!!! Im alos finding in my ss files, lots of redundant files and cleaning those out (.DS mac files, example images, copy rights (i keep another folder for) and pdfs (i keep another folder for). just deleteing these alone or putting them in their right folder has helped amazingly!)

Also going through my PNG backup file i created, i noticed im missing some pngs!! Like an alpha that i only had a-h... so i opened up my backup zips and got them back into my folder!!

I have a few more to do, before im done with the deleting process. My Template folder before i began this was at 10GB! I'll let you know the final size.

Oh, and im going to go back and make some layered psd files for ones that dont have it!

thanks elisha, for the great idea!

Okay, I use SyncToy to back up my hard drive to the EHD. All the files are currently in both places. If I delete the pngs from the template files on the hard drive, won't they still stay on the EHD the next time I run SyncToy? Or should I do a special back up?

I use a different software, but the basics are the same. Make sure you do a "source>target" rather than both directions when you run it, or they will all come right back. Also make sure the option to delete the items that aren't on the other drive is unchecked. I lost a bunch of freebies that way when I first installed the software on a different computer.

I have and EHD and I must say setting it up to do what I think it should is foreign to me. Since my 1TB is full and my computer hard drive is full I was going to buy another EHD. I, like so many of you, just can't seem to let go. I spent a couple of weeks recently just backing up anything and everything I thought I didn't need to disks and well now their are tons. Would I even be able to find that one thing I may be looking for ten years from now! tee hee hee

I think I will go in and start deleting png's for templates. A couple of you have made a great point!

One step at a time, right!

I started deleting mine LONG ago ... never looked back. Sort of like stopping our land line phone service 4 years ago ... I was worried I might "need" it, but never have. Flyin' free and easy ... but, I think making a copy on to a DVD/backing up to EHD is a great way to go if you even "think" you might want them.

ACK no land line? Have you gone stark raving mad? LOL

I know a lot of people who have done that. We have businesses that we run out of the home, so I can't imagine ever give that up. (two lines actually, have to have that fax you know......) And, since we are rural, we just never know about cell coverage, it's good most days!!

I'm about ready to dump my landline - the only calls I get on it are telemarketers (even though I'm on the no-call list), politicians, or survey people. Ugh!

Do it! Do it! Do it! :2468who-do-we-appreciate: Just think of the extra (SG shopping) money you will have each month! :disappearing-smilie:

Do it! Do it! Do it! :2468who-do-we-appreciate: Just think of the extra (SG shopping) money you will have each month! :disappearing-smilie:

hehehe :-) I like extra shopping money! I just need to see if I can still get my AT&T internet plan without a landline and without switching to U-Verse.

I've begun the process of removing all those redundant .png files! My folder system is so much leaner and easier to navigate! Thanks for all the encouragement and support!

I think this is a brilliant idea! I can't tell you how much time I have wasted searching through all those PNG's. I have several EHD's and I also use Mozy - I always keep two copies of my important files so I will just keep the original file on my backup EHD and on my working EHD I will delete all those pesky PNG's that I don't need ;)

I always seem to need a SG support group :conversation: or SG hand-holding :grouphug2: for any change!!!

At least you're in good company, right? I remember how twitchy I got after I stopped saving all my zipped downloads. I couldn't see using up all that extra space on my hard drive when I had my stash back-up'd several times anyway.

And I have yet to do anything with the huge box of CDs (yes, I used to backup only on CDs... can you imagine??) and DVDs that I used to use to backup everything when I first joined SG. I keep telling myself that I'll use them for some CD album craft someday.

We tried to do this recently and were told we weren't allowed to by law. State law, as a matter of fact. We have to have landline phone service to call "911". But Kimmy lives in the same state as I do, so I'm thinking that phone company lady pulled a fast one on DH.

I still don't like giving out my cell phone number on forms and ordering online, though. That stops me from calling our phone company back and dropping it completely.

We tried to do this recently and were told we weren't allowed to by law. State law, as a matter of fact. We have to have landline phone service to call "911". But Kimmy lives in the same state as I do, so I'm thinking that phone company lady pulled a fast one on DH.

I still don't like giving out my cell phone number on forms and ordering online, though. That stops me from calling our phone company back and dropping it completely.

Yeah, I thought about the whole 911 thing before doing it, Becca. I'm not sure if the capability is there for them to track from a cell or not. Keep meaning to check into it. But, no, we didn't have any problem canceling our service.

And, I was concerned that all the sales/mktg calls would start coming in on my cell phone, but they haven't. I am careful not to give my cell # out unless necessary, though. I just say no. I get no unwanted calls ... I am registered on the no call list (for cells) as well.

Hmmm. Reading all this has me thinking. I save all the zips too. So maybe if I deleted the pngs I would still have them in the zip files if I ever needed them. Hmmm. This support group thing has me really wondering if I'm brave enough to do this! More space is always a good thing.

Well, Amy - I'm in the process. And I'm not really deleting them - I copied them over to a special folder on my ehd so they would be safe from syncs and backups overriding them. :dancingchicken2: The chicken rules. Now I'm deleting them from my working folder. My Layout Template folder is almost done! It looks so nice as I'm browsing!

Hmmm. Reading all this has me thinking. I save all the zips too. So maybe if I deleted the pngs I would still have them in the zip files if I ever needed them. Hmmm. This support group thing has me really wondering if I'm brave enough to do this! More space is always a good thing.

As I was reading this thread this afternoon (I know, I'm behind on threads!!) I was just thinking - I always save the zip files and have them backed up, so if you truly wanted/needed that png file later it would still be available to you.

• 3 months later...

This has really been a good move for me. My searches are far less cluttered than they used to be. Now before I take the png file out of my folder system (or leave it out when I get a new product), I do consider carefully whether or not it might be useful on it's own. Some of my layered templates have photo masks that I will keep. And I haven't touched the png files that come with brushes (even if I don't think I'll use them), because the .abr files aren't visible when I want to preview/search.

And I'm still not finished. I have a few older templates that just came with png files. I still need to build those and save them as a psd.

Archived