Archiving Older Layouts

caprimom

Elisha's post about deleting png files made me think of other space hogs on my HD. Currently, I have all of my layouts from when I first started scrapping back in 2006. Each layout has a PSD or TIFF file, a full sized JPEG file, a web sized 600px file. I'm thinking I don't need all of these files, especially for the layouts that I'm never going to change. In fact, I rarely go back and change anything on a layout. I think what I'll do is keep the TIFF files for all of my layouts, get rid of the full sized JPG as I can create them when needed (I don't print regularly), and I'll keep the web sized files for all of my newer layouts but get rid of everything from I guess 2 years and beyond. I think I'll also back up the TIFF files to DVD for the older layouts.

I hope that made sense. I'm just typing as I think so it's probably all jumbled up LOL. I need a TB! Then I won't have this nonsense but Akeem seems to think there's no way I can need a whole TB. Is he serious?!

I think Akeem is serious...seriously confused! I think TB EHDs were DESIGNED for SCRAPPERS! No one else...just us! (My DH just bought me one this last week...it's like a little security blanket for my scrapping memories....aaaaaaahhhhhh).

1 TB is a must LOL, ummmm eben 2 ;) I'm backing all my stuff up on a 2TB EHD. So tell Akeem that 1TB is peanuts ;) He may be shocked for a lifetime LOL

I keep everything so far. I have a hard time deleting my layouts.

I have two smaller EHD and really, really want a TB too - it's on my wish list which is rapidly growing! Tell Akeem it's a computer staple and a must have! There must be something he considers a must have for himself - Rich has all kinds of "must haves" - i.e., guns, new holsters, new gun belt, new vest - hmmmmmmmmmm guess his are more important for the job but this IS my job, isn't it?

I know that it's not what you intend to do, but for the benefit of others, I'll share my mistake. I was thinking, to save space, I'd delete the larger file, the PSD. I do print regularly, and once I print, I archive. For a while I was deleting the PSD file of my older layouts, keeping a full resolution print version and a web version.

But... There was this submission call, and I had the perfect layout for it. All it needed was some minor tweaking in the journaling and the date. There was also a shadow that I wanted to fix. But I couldn't edit it. :(

I would think that if you have the original file, you can delete the flattened jpgs. you can always recreate those from the original file if you need to. But you're only talking a few MBs.

I saw a TB EHD this week at a conference. It was this tiny thing & I didn't think it was all that expensive. I know what you mean about things accumulating, but I am always afraid to delete things entirely. I move everything onto my backup EHD periodically. I also managed to loose a project file and it's one with an embarrassing error, but I can't fix it unless I recreate it. Sigh!

I dont delete my psd ever (or even the .pspimage files i have). I do back those up in two forms, and leave my computer scrapping drive open for space. :)

I did start cleanign up like elisha had stated in the other thread, wow what a difference its making!!! Im alos finding in my ss files, lots of redundant files and cleaning those out (.DS mac files, copy rights (i keep another folder for) and pdfs (i keep another folder for). just deleteing these alone or putting them in their right folder has helped amazingly!)

Buying an EHD is like buying Disney Park tickets. The bigger you go/more days you go, the cheaper it is! Even doubling the size isn't that much more.

Archived