I Took The Pse9 Plunge...

tiza126

After telling myself repeatedly that I was satisfied with PSE 5 and I had no intention to upgrade or change...

I took the plunge and purchased PSE 9. It was a splurge purchase, bought it on a whim. What can I say? I'm a sucker for sales and rebates, and I just couldn't resist Amazon's weekly emails telling me to purchase the upgrade.

It should arrive today. As of 1:15am, it was at the local FedEx facility, and will be heading out for delivery.

Now I have a new "toy" to play with this weekend :) Looking forward to doing my first layout with REAL layer masks!!

I keep debating. I have had 6, 7( I didn't have to pay for 7 since I bought 6 so close to 7 coming out. Adobe gave it to me free) & now 8. I am really trying to resist til next year, but those masks are the one option I keep thinking about!!

I finally got mine up and running! One thing you'll like, Theresa, is that you can drag UP or Down from and to the photobin without it making your item a Smart Object, like you could in PSE 5. I like it. The layer mask capability is cool. I played with that a bit yesterday. I found one very big difference in using the workspace but I think it's just a matter of a setting I'm not finding. If anybody else is using 9, let me know so I can ask my question. Otherwise, I'm going to have to keep looking around the Help and in the internet.

I am using the PSE 9 trial but also decided to take the plunge! So ask away!

If you are debating the switch, try out layer masks. Thanks to the classes here I knew how to "borrow" one, but actually using the real thing is wonderful.

What is your question Pat? I am curious too. The only thing I don't like so far is the light grey backdrop but I know most people prefer that. (And I know you could change that in PSE 7 and 8 so I just need to figure out how to do that in 9.)

I'm doing ok with the darker interface. They are supposed to have made text larger so things are easier to see.

What I've encountered is that I can not have more than one thing open in the workspace. If I double click on an item in the photo bin, it replaces what was in the workspace. If I go to Window>Image, there are options for Tile, Cascade, Float in Window, etc., but they are grayed out. The fact that those options are there, lead me to believe that you should be able to have more than one file open in the workspace and I'm just not finding where to change a preference. Any ideas?

I did find that you can drag UP from the photobin to your open file without it becoming a Smart Object as occurred in 6, 7, & 8. It also puts the file name into the layer! Woohoo! You can drag an item down from the workspace onto a file also (as you could previously) but it doesn't place the file name in the new layer.

Pat, I can't look at it at the moment...I installed some actions and it's rebuilding the thumb database stuff.

But, look up to the top left of the screen. I think above where it says file, image, etc. There are little boxes showing options. If you only have one item in the bin, they won't all be available. You can choose them to show up vertically, horizontally, or a variety of ways.

Is that what you meant?

Okay...it's up there next to the PSE blue name. It has a drop down arrow next to it.

I'm doing ok with the darker interface. They are supposed to have made text larger so things are easier to see.

What I've encountered is that I can not have more than one thing open in the workspace. If I double click on an item in the photo bin, it replaces what was in the workspace. If I go to Window>Image, there are options for Tile, Cascade, Float in Window, etc., but they are grayed out. The fact that those options are there, lead me to believe that you should be able to have more than one file open in the workspace and I'm just not finding where to change a preference. Any ideas?

I did find that you can drag UP from the photobin to your open file without it becoming a Smart Object as occurred in 6, 7, & 8. It also puts the file name into the layer! Woohoo! You can drag an item down from the workspace onto a file also (as you could previously) but it doesn't place the file name in the new layer.

I think I understand what you are saying Pat and I was gonna post the question myself tonight. I sorta found an answer to what I'm talking about by going to Edit > Preferences > General > And then check "Allow floating documents in full edit mode" Then that little drop down bar "Float in all windows" But there is a downfall to this too....when I do that, and I open a bunch of pictures, they are go into theie seperate windows BUT they also are open on my task bar on my computer. I am linking two screenshots that I took....1 is when all the pics open and only 1 shows, and the other one is when I have the floating thing checked and I can move them all around, but check out the task bar, as the pics are all down there too. Makes no sense to me......anyone able to help??

I know I'm going to upgrade as soon as Costco has it in stock, so I'm reading with interest....I never could get the hang of 8, so I'm hoping 9 will be a little easier. Has anyone tried to install actions...that was the biggest problem with 8.

That was driving me crazy too Pat - you have to go to Edit - Preferences - General - allow floating windows.

Otherwise they all clump up on your workspace.

That was what I was talking about, I thought that's how it worked but what about them all being open in the task bar on the computer too as in my pic above? Does that do that for you too?

That was driving me crazy too Pat - you have to go to Edit - Preferences - General - allow floating windows.

That was what I was talking about, I thought that's how it worked but what about them all being open in the task bar on the computer too as in my pic above? Does that do that for you too?

Hmmm no it doesn't - although mine will look that way if I have too many open in the photo bin - but yours look like they are actually pinned to the task bar - do you have Windows 7? how are you opening them? File Place? or Open With from somewhere else? or from the Organizer?

Hmmm no it doesn't - although mine will look that way if I have too many open in the photo bin - but yours look like they are actually pinned to the task bar - do you have Windows 7? how are you opening them? File Place? or Open With from somewhere else? or from the Organizer?

Thanks for answering Marylou, I use windows 7. I open them with File Open and a window opens with my pictures i it and I choose from there. I just tried it in PSE 8 and it didn't pin them to the task bar. In PSE 9, when they are on the task bar, if I close them there, it closes them in PSE9 too. I have never used the organizer. Hope these answers help figure out the issue.

Well, I am actually more eager than ever to get a copy of this....your screen shot with all the photos in the bin and on the workspace is exactly what I'm used to in PSE4 (Mac)....I can see how it might be bothersome if you're not used to it, but that's what I've used for the last however many years I've been doing this. Can you say "resistant to change"??? If anyone installs actions, please let me know how to go about it.

I am sorry Di - I just tried opening a photo that way and mine did not do anything in the Task Bar - I am stumped. The Missing Manual doesn't have anything on this either.

I am still playing with the trial - if I can figure anything out will let you know.

Well Marylou, after spending over 3 hours on the phone with 2 different Adobe techs, both needing remote access to my computer (I don't like that at all) and them doing this and that, and the second one

finally making a new user and checking PSE 9 from that user, they discovered that in the new user it didn't happen.....and it's because of a setting I have on my user side and that is when I go into

my properties for my taskbar, on the part...Taskbar Buttons....I have "never combine" and under the new user that was set to default as "always combine, hide labels"

So I went back to mine and changed it to that and sure enough all the picture tabs disappeared but so did the tabs I liked there too. So I set it back to the way it was and resolved that I just wasted 3 very long hours

for nothing.

When I questioned them about why it does it in PSE 9 and not PSE 8, they said it was some changes they made.....maybe one they shouldn't have made in my opinion! JMHO

I do appreciate all the checking you did for me Marylou!

They do seem to make all sorts of little changes with each new version. Some good, some not so much.

I'm really disliking the feature in 8 where you try to change the size of an object with the transform tool and the whole photo disappears. It winds up somewhere outside your document. Makes me nuts. Then, it seems that they just tweak the tools to do something different.

I think I'm sticking with 8 for now!

Nancy

Archived