I Took The Pse9 Plunge...

tiza126

I installed it with no problems....and made my new siggy with it.

Here are my initial thoughts:

-Hate the stupid welcome screen that shows up each time. I just want to open the Editor and start working right away, not more mouse clicks

-Not thrilled with this dark interface, but I'm sure I'll get used to it

-Took a while to figure out certain settings, like getting PSE to zoom when I used my mouse scroll wheel

Haven't tested layer masks yet.

Trying to figure out installing styles/actions. In PSE5, I could keep my SG styles in their subfolders from when they were unzipped, paste them into the Photo Effects folder, and then they would stay grouped in their subfolders when I opened them in PSE. Even if I copy my subfolders into the PSE9 photo effects folder, they don't group together in PSE. GRRR I HATE scrolling through hundreds of styles looking for the one I wanted. How do I get them into groups?

And the actions I've installed don't show up in PSE9 at all...I guess I'm putting them in the wrong folders.

I'm not a patient person when it comes to computers and software, so I'm already ready to give up pse9 and go back to the familiarity of pse5 LOL

I am sorry you are frustrated with your new toy. :(

But, you are a "pioneer" in the new frontier of PSE9, and there are bound to be bumps. I am positive that you will figure out all the tricks, tips, and short cuts to get that thing working like you want it to.

I think each new version has had hiccups, so hang in there! We are learning form you!!

P.S.

I still can't get my styles to stay or be grouped together in PSE7. In fact I haven't bought any styles in a while because I'm tired of scrolling through dozens of them to find a certain one. <---- my grumpy moment ;)

Well, I'm just sitting here on the fence waiting for all of you to become experts before I take the plunge - I'll just carry on with the one I have and stick with Photoshop - then when you all have the answers I will buy it! LOL LOL Don't get discouraged though - Gayle was right - sometimes "upgrades" can be more like "downgrades" and we do get used to certain features that we like and when they change them, it is frustrating - sounds like you all are figuring a lot of things out though.

From what I hear and experience, it seems like PSE5 is the ideal version....if only I could just add the layer mask function to that, it would be perfect. But I knew the workaround for masks (or there are other plugins)...so why did I even upgrade? I dunno.

From what I hear and experience, it seems like PSE5 is the ideal version....if only I could just add the layer mask function to that, it would be perfect. But I knew the workaround for masks (or there are other plugins)...so why did I even upgrade? I dunno.

Tiza, I think we just continue to upgrade because we trust that an upgrade means something better and more powerful - it's the geek in us! We can't resist........

I really LOVE the better way to remove objects from your pictures with the Spot Healing Brush Tool! I can't believe how much I have used it since I first downloaded the trial and then got the regular program. I have wowed friends and family by showing them some before and after pictures where I have taken out some major objects that I couldn't shoot around when taking the picture. That alone sold me on PSE 9!!

Tiza, I think we just continue to upgrade because we trust that an upgrade means something better and more powerful - it's the geek in us! We can't resist........

I avoided the upgrades to 6, 7, and even 8. Somehow this one drew me in. Maybe I should have waited until 10 ;)

I have my styles grouped in PSE 7 using this technique. I wonder if it'll work in 9?

I always use Add-o-matic to install my actions. I have to change the thumbnail so that it shows up in the action palette. I wonder if AOM works on 9....

I spent the $15 (is that what it is?) and bought the latest version of AOM. I just use it for styles so that I don't have to create the xml file. Then I go into the xml file and change the part that groups them into my categories.

I just paste the actions (the atn and png) into the PSE folder and they are fine.

I have my styles grouped in PSE 7 using this technique. I wonder if it'll work in 9?

I always use Add-o-matic to install my actions. I have to change the thumbnail so that it shows up in the action palette. I wonder if AOM works on 9....

I spent the $15 (is that what it is?) and bought the latest version of AOM. I just use it for styles so that I don't have to create the xml file. Then I go into the xml file and change the part that groups them into my categories.

I just paste the actions (the atn and png) into the PSE folder and they are fine.

Yes, that's right. AOM creates that xml file that you need to do the sorting. Last time I was installing styles I completely forgot I had AOM and was frustrated trying to find that xml. I figured it out though. Good to know about the action though. I just used it for both, then pasted the thumb into the folder. Can't wait to hear if any of this works in 9...

Yes, that's right. AOM creates that xml file that you need to do the sorting. Last time I was installing styles I completely forgot I had AOM and was frustrated trying to find that xml. I figured it out though. Good to know about the action though. I just used it for both, then pasted the thumb into the folder. Can't wait to hear if any of this works in 9...

I've been using 9 for about a month now...what I was referring to is with 9. So...yes...it does work with 9. Yay!

I found on 9 how to change the area around your workspace to a different color...but not the toolbars areas.

If anyone doesn't already know...

zoom out of your picture or layout so that there is "blank" area showing around it. Right click in the blank area and you can choose gray, black or custom.

Di - so glad you found the answer! Sorry it took so long

Tiza - you can't turn off the Welcome screen but you can get around it by creating a desktop shortcut for the Editor - I almost always turn on the Editor by starting in a file and choosing Open With which also bypasses the Welcome screen

I moved my old styles and categories by simply copying my old styles folder into PSE 9 and deleting the thumb base file (I know it has a real name) and then letting PSE 9 build itself.

Alas, this did not work for my actions. I always use AddOMatic to add things (and then manually move my styles into categories) so I can't help you on adding them in by yourself. However, the Missing Manual for PSE 9 says you just save them into (for Windows 7):

C:\ProgramData\Adobe\Photoshop Elements\9.0\Locale\en_US\Workflow Panels\Actions

Hope that helps

• 2 weeks later...

Tiza - you can't turn off the Welcome screen but you can get around it by creating a desktop shortcut for the Editor - I almost always turn on the Editor by starting in a file and choosing Open With which also bypasses the Welcome screen

I moved my old styles and categories by simply copying my old styles folder into PSE 9 and deleting the thumb base file (I know it has a real name) and then letting PSE 9 build itself.

Alas, this did not work for my actions. I always use AddOMatic to add things (and then manually move my styles into categories) so I can't help you on adding them in by yourself. However, the Missing Manual for PSE 9 says you just save them into (for Windows 7):

C:\ProgramData\Adobe\Photoshop Elements\9.0\Locale\en_US\Workflow Panels\Actions

Hope that helps

First, thank you to everyone who shared what they've learned about upgrading to PSE9. As always, I come to SG for all the help everyone offers. I received PSE9 in the mail yesterday, but wanted to read about people's experiences at SG before tackling the install.

I was wondering, did you have to upgrade AOM for it to work with PSE9? I've been using this version of AOM since PSE5 and it continues to work with PSE7, but I wondered if it'll still work with PSE9 without upgrading it?

You mentioned the manual says you can save actions into the "actions" directory. Has anyone tried that?

TIA for all your help!

Grace, about AOM... my older version of it seemed to work while I still had PSE7 on the computer (and I was using PSE9.) But, once I uninstalled PSE7...the next time I went to use AOM, it gave me a message about not having a compatible version of PSE. Go figure. So I went ahead and bought the updated version of AOM.

• 1 month later...

Hope that helps

First, thank you to everyone who shared what they've learned about upgrading to PSE9. As always, I come to SG for all the help everyone offers. I received PSE9 in the mail yesterday, but wanted to read about people's experiences at SG before tackling the install.

I was wondering, did you have to upgrade AOM for it to work with PSE9? I've been using this version of AOM since PSE5 and it continues to work with PSE7, but I wondered if it'll still work with PSE9 without upgrading it?

You mentioned the manual says you can save actions into the "actions" directory. Has anyone tried that?

TIA for all your help!

I tried this path and the thumbnails showed up, but the action still didn't work. I have quite a few actions from various designers and some just pasted right in and worked fine, like MRE Photo Basics, & Scatter Things. Others I cna't get to work having tried a few different paths that people have recommended, like MRE Edge It. I love Edge It, & can't make the switch entirely until I can get that one a few others to work. It is very frustrating. Otherwise I love the new Photoshop Elements 9. I never liked 7 very well and stuck to 5, but now I love 9. If I can just get the actions to all work!

Also, if I convert the Organizer into version 9, will I be able to use it in 5 anymore?

I tried this path and the thumbnails showed up, but the action still didn't work. I have quite a few actions from various designers and some just pasted right in and worked fine, like MRE Photo Basics, & Scatter Things. Others I cna't get to work having tried a few different paths that people have recommended, like MRE Edge It. I love Edge It, & can't make the switch entirely until I can get that one a few others to work. It is very frustrating. Otherwise I love the new Photoshop Elements 9. I never liked 7 very well and stuck to 5, but now I love 9. If I can just get the actions to all work!

Also, if I convert the Organizer into version 9, will I be able to use it in 5 anymore?

I ended up adding my actions using the instructions that came with them and they seem to be working fine, though I haven't tried all of them yet. I use Windows 7 and installed the actions in C:\ProgramData\Adobe\Photoshop Elements\9.0\Photo Creations\photo effects.

You can add something into PSE 5 to be able to use layer masks. You install and use them like layer styles and just click on the "layer mask style" while the layer is activated and it will add one. Just Google "Grant's Tools" and you'll find it.

Hope that helps.

Archived