Why You Need To Backup!

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Ro

Ro
  • Guests

Posted 28 October 2010 - 07:09 PM

I don't know if you remember that I told you last week that I was having some major work done on my computer, I increased the size of my C drive to 1 Tb (my iTunes folder was killing me) and I had Windows 7 installed on it. I told the technician not to touch the other 3 drives because they were back up and storage.

When I went in on Monday to pick it up, I discovered that, to my horror, that they had installed the new drive, had put my old installation on Vista on it, and try had WIPED my F drive clean.

My F drive holds all of my photos, layouts, design work, and writing. It was awful.

What kept me from completely flipping out? I have everything backed up two ways: on an EHD and with Carbonite. The day before I took it into the shop I made sure that my EHD backup was current.

Can you imagine how horrific it would be if that drive was't beaked up???

I use a free tool by Microsoft called SyncToy to do my EHD backup.

I just got it back today. It will probably take me a week to get all of the software, hardware, and files set up like I want them. But at least, I can.

If you haven't set yourself up with a good back up plane, do it...today!

#2 podiumchick

podiumchick

Paparazzi Mom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,247 posts

Posted 28 October 2010 - 07:30 PM

Yikes! I got SyncToy after you did a NL feature on it. I love it! I use that with the EHD and also burn everything to DVD as well. Can't do Carbonite until Verizon Wireless offeres unlimited internet. =(

#3 Prahe

Prahe

Hot Scrapper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 866 posts

Posted 28 October 2010 - 09:01 PM

Phew, glad you have a recovery place because I know the pain of losing everything. I'm going to check out SyncToy because the backup software on my WD EHD never would install properly so I have been backing up manually (if that makes sense!). Blessings for your reinstalling!
Posted Image

#4 Cheri T

Cheri T

Scrap Woman

• Design Team
  • 12,083 posts

Posted 28 October 2010 - 10:04 PM

My heart would have been pounding...yes, literally! YIPES! Thank goodness you have it all backed up. Perhaps they should pay you for your time though?;) Instead of the other way around?? Wouldn't it be nice if it worked that way.
Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#5 Pab

Pab

Super Scrapper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,908 posts

Posted 28 October 2010 - 10:49 PM

I too back up everything twice! I have Backblaze and backup on my EHD. Plus I have some of my EHD backups backuped to Backblaze! Does that make sense? lol
Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#6 Peppi

Peppi
  • Guests

Posted 29 October 2010 - 12:26 AM

Phew, glad you have a recovery place because I know the pain of losing everything. I'm going to check out SyncToy because the backup software on my WD EHD never would install properly so I have been backing up manually (if that makes sense!). Blessings for your reinstalling!

The backup software of my WD EHD didn't work properly too and I had bunch of corrupted files. I did it manually too, but it is worth trying a good synchronizing/backup software. It is worth it because now it is so easy for me.

#7 Becca

Becca

Scrap Girl Messageboard Wise One

• Members
  • 10,709 posts

Posted 29 October 2010 - 05:25 AM

Thanks for the reminder, Ro! Recently I've been trying SyncBack... another free sync utility. It offers automated scheduling of backup sets. I haven't decided if I like it better than SyncToy yet, though.

#8 Sara Arell

Sara Arell

Scrap Girls Messageboard Wise One

• Members
  • 50,757 posts
  • Personal Statement:Let There Be Peace On Earth and Let It Begin With Me!

Posted 29 October 2010 - 06:11 AM

ttGreat reminder for all of us - I do back up my files but am going to check out some of the ones mentioned here too -at least until I get my T backup!
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#9 Sara Arell

Sara Arell

Scrap Girls Messageboard Wise One

• Members
  • 50,757 posts
  • Personal Statement:Let There Be Peace On Earth and Let It Begin With Me!

Posted 29 October 2010 - 06:18 AM

Oh, no - Sync-Toy is not for Macs - searching for something that is.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#10 princessrunningfingers

princessrunningfingers

I'll Have You In Stitches In No Time

• Members
  • 17,996 posts
  • Personal Statement:I am an avid stitcher, reader, and of course Scrap Girls Addict.

Posted 29 October 2010 - 07:09 AM

Great reminder, Ro. I'm so glad you didn't lose anything. We all need to take care to back everything up. I back up all my scrapping stuff and photos onto a EHD, but I also have Carbonite backing everything up. You just can't be too careful. Oh, and I have SincToy, and think it's great.

gallery_15063_3635_1064.jpg

BLINKIES_MOM-Past.gifSG_Olympian.pngBLINKIE_StayCation-Luau.gifBLINKIES_Pblshd.gifWT-Button-copy.gif

#11 April Showers

April Showers

Boutique Diva

• Admin
  • 41,942 posts

Posted 29 October 2010 - 08:54 AM

Another thought.... I love my ehd's but make sure you have a back-up that is "off site" whether online, in a safe deposit box or at your parents' house. My family thought I was a fanatic until my brother had a fire...

gallery_5375_358_11104.pngMy Gallery I scrap with Photoshop CS6.

SGblinkie.gifButton_Layout.pngWT-Button-copy.gifButton_Welcome_Mgr.pngBLINKIES_MOM-Past.gif

#12 Peppi

Peppi
  • Guests

Posted 29 October 2010 - 01:46 PM

Another thought.... I love my ehd's but make sure you have a back-up that is "off site" whether online, in a safe deposit box or at your parents' house. My family thought I was a fanatic until my brother had a fire...

YES! That's a very good thing. I do that too. In case .... and hopefully I'll never need it!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users