Why You Need To Backup!

I don't know if you remember that I told you last week that I was having some major work done on my computer, I increased the size of my C drive to 1 Tb (my iTunes folder was killing me) and I had Windows 7 installed on it. I told the technician not to touch the other 3 drives because they were back up and storage.

When I went in on Monday to pick it up, I discovered that, to my horror, that they had installed the new drive, had put my old installation on Vista on it, and try had WIPED my F drive clean.

My F drive holds all of my photos, layouts, design work, and writing. It was awful.

What kept me from completely flipping out? I have everything backed up two ways: on an EHD and with Carbonite. The day before I took it into the shop I made sure that my EHD backup was current.

Can you imagine how horrific it would be if that drive was't beaked up???

I use a free tool by Microsoft called SyncToy to do my EHD backup.

I just got it back today. It will probably take me a week to get all of the software, hardware, and files set up like I want them. But at least, I can.

If you haven't set yourself up with a good back up plane, do it...today!

Phew, glad you have a recovery place because I know the pain of losing everything. I'm going to check out SyncToy because the backup software on my WD EHD never would install properly so I have been backing up manually (if that makes sense!). Blessings for your reinstalling!

Phew, glad you have a recovery place because I know the pain of losing everything. I'm going to check out SyncToy because the backup software on my WD EHD never would install properly so I have been backing up manually (if that makes sense!). Blessings for your reinstalling!

The backup software of my WD EHD didn't work properly too and I had bunch of corrupted files. I did it manually too, but it is worth trying a good synchronizing/backup software. It is worth it because now it is so easy for me.

Great reminder, Ro. I'm so glad you didn't lose anything. We all need to take care to back everything up. I back up all my scrapping stuff and photos onto a EHD, but I also have Carbonite backing everything up. You just can't be too careful. Oh, and I have SincToy, and think it's great.

Another thought.... I love my ehd's but make sure you have a back-up that is "off site" whether online, in a safe deposit box or at your parents' house. My family thought I was a fanatic until my brother had a fire...

YES! That's a very good thing. I do that too. In case .... and hopefully I'll never need it!

Archived