Anyone Have An Ipad

bjc

looking to find out more about ipad if you have one or have any thoughts.... i heard there is an app called log me in where you can get your photoshop and lightroom remotely using your ipad .... i realize it couldnt be as great as your computer but it may be a great way to be mobile and still have some photo things ... also wondering how the 3g is on it ...i realize that wireless will be best and many times i will be where there is wireless...but it maybe be great for long car rides... which i often do...not as the driver...lol...but with dh driving and me as passenger....i know they are pricey but wondering what you may know or if you have used it

I know want one just because I love having all the new electronics!! But I haven't been able to justify the cost yet just for the convenience of having it. I invested in a car charger for my laptop, so I can scrap while my DH is driving on long trips now.

Just got one and haven't been able to play with it much...the guy at the store gave me just the wireless one and not the 3GS one by mistake, so I have to take it back. I've almost always been very happy with the service and advice I get at the Apple Store, but this one was an exception and now the manager is being very nice to help make things right. Of course I'm still traveling so can't get it worked out until I get home Friday. I got mine mainly for work so haven't even explored photo/scrapping apps and such yet.

I so want one too but can't possibly justify the price right now - looked at one today and it was all I could to to NOT buy it! Sandi gave you some good advice - and I know that Ro just got one - maybe she will see this and be able to answer some of your questions.

I want to one Sandi is going to trade in for the wrong one that they gave her - but then, I'm such a geek, I want everything techie that comes out! Good luck and hope you get one soon.

I have one. I just won it at a business event I attended. So far, I love it. I can't imagine working on photos with it, though. It doesn't take photos. It doesn't have a USB port. I just looked it up, though, and you can move photos onto it, but you have to use your computer to sync them over.

http://www.i4u.com/35217/how-get-photos-your-ipad-and-manage-them

Maybe it's just me, but I don't see the point....

There is a Photoshop ap - just like you can get on a smart phone (like the iPhone or an Android phone), but unlike your phone, you don't have photos you took with it to edit.

Again, it's probably just me, but I don't see the point...

But it's super fun to browse around the Internet with it and I love to use it to do my email and talk on the board. I can't attend chats with it because Apple has some gripe with Flash and Java. It's inability to use Flash is truly, horribly annoying because I'll visit websites all of the time (news websites and such) and I can't see the movie files. Apple wants to drive everyone away from Flash into HTML 5. The trouble is, the rest of the world doesn't seem motivated to bend to Apple's will. There is an ap with a browser that lets you see Flash, but it is so poor that it is painful to use and so I only do it if I simply can't stand it and MUST see the Flash movie.

This means, of course, that many websites don't work because they have Flash pages.

We enjoy the aps and right now, Julianne is playing a truly addictive game called Plants and Zombies. My church has a great ap and so I can read the scriptures, talks, etc. on it and I find it much easier to read them on my iPad than in the actual book. The print is larger and I can zoom in and out, as desired.

Lots of business people are using them now instead of laptops because you can do business-types of things on it and they are good for traveling. In my mind, that is the best application.

If you want to scrap and such on the go and you want something small to carry, I think I'd look into a netbook. You can install software on it and they are small and light, too. Netbooks are half the price.

I have the wireless iPad and it is lightning fast. When I am traveling, I use a T-Mobile wireless air card that I have. I bought this tiny wireless router to connect me to the air card. I mean, it's so tiny that you can put it in a pocket. I like it because it puts a security barrier between you and the Internet - just like at home. 3G and open wireless connections aren't secure and if you use them, you are at risk. People buy these routers a lot to use in cars, trucks, RV's etc.

I can see why people enjoy it. It's slim - fits in my purse - and os nice to take with me. I carry it to church now instead of my heavy scriptures.

If I was serious about using it away from home in a consistent manner like I use my phone - I might consider paying for the data plan. BUT since I can do the same things I'd do with it on my Android phone, it seems more reasonable for me to keep doing them on my phone and save the money. And - as I've already mentioned - I am very wary about doing too much away from home without a secure wireless router in front of me.

I have just written a post full of contradictions, but I wanted to give you all of my thoughts about it.

I'm glad I have mine. I'm enjoying it very much. But I'm even more glad that I didn't have to buy it because it's kind of expensive. It's cost me quite a bit just to get me a case (necessary), screen protector (necessary), car charger (sort of necessary) and, of course, I have spoiled myself a little with aps.

Hope that helps some.

You've helped me a lot Ro. I'm really interested in the card thingy. Since I have to use mine at work and I don't have wireless and my iPad isn't 3GS, that might work for me. I'll have to check into that and then I may not have to trade mine in.

Another thing I love is I got the kindle app and I can read with it. And it even shows up the pictures in color, though not too sharply, good enough.

thanks for all the info.... also heard that you can use an app log me in.... and then they have access to their computer at home with photoshop, lightroom , photos etc... heard that is pretty cool

I want one just because. I have no real reason to get one though. My mom, who has never much wanted to use the computer, just got one to stay connected. For the first time she has email access and she loves it. She transfers photos over to share photos of the grandkids and stuff.

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you Ro for the details! That was really helpful. I was considering getting an ipad 3g for when I am in Austria without internet access ... but it is so expensive. I have an ipod touch which is awesome. I didn't know about these tiny wireless routers to be used with a card. Now I will get one like that and not only will I be able to use internet on my travels with my ipod which is way more handy than an ipad, but I have saved some money, I can access to the internet with my laptop (which I take to Austria anyway because I am the accountant for the house over there) with the same router too.

You are always sure to get great answers to technical questions here at SG. All I have learned about tech things over the last couple of years, I have learned through digi-scrapping and SG :2468who-do-we-appreciate::2468who-do-we-appreciate::2468who-do-we-appreciate: Thanks a lot!!

Oh, one thing just comes to my mind about having photos on the ipad. I use dropbox. You could possibly put photos in a dropbox folder and access to them while you travel. Another thing my brother has for his ipad, you can get an adapter for the ipad to insert the card of you camera and plug it into your ipad. That way you can load photos on your ipad directly while on the move. HTH

I have one. I just won it at a business event I attended. So far, I love it. I can't imagine working on photos with it, though. It doesn't take photos. It doesn't have a USB port. I just looked it up, though, and you can move photos onto it, but you have to use your computer to sync them over.

http://www.i4u.com/35217/how-get-photos-your-ipad-and-manage-them

Maybe it's just me, but I don't see the point....

There is a Photoshop ap - just like you can get on a smart phone (like the iPhone or an Android phone), but unlike your phone, you don't have photos you took with it to edit.

Again, it's probably just me, but I don't see the point...

But it's super fun to browse around the Internet with it and I love to use it to do my email and talk on the board. I can't attend chats with it because Apple has some gripe with Flash and Java. It's inability to use Flash is truly, horribly annoying because I'll visit websites all of the time (news websites and such) and I can't see the movie files. Apple wants to drive everyone away from Flash into HTML 5. The trouble is, the rest of the world doesn't seem motivated to bend to Apple's will. There is an ap with a browser that lets you see Flash, but it is so poor that it is painful to use and so I only do it if I simply can't stand it and MUST see the Flash movie.

This means, of course, that many websites don't work because they have Flash pages.

We enjoy the aps and right now, Julianne is playing a truly addictive game called Plants and Zombies. My church has a great ap and so I can read the scriptures, talks, etc. on it and I find it much easier to read them on my iPad than in the actual book. The print is larger and I can zoom in and out, as desired.

Lots of business people are using them now instead of laptops because you can do business-types of things on it and they are good for traveling. In my mind, that is the best application.

If you want to scrap and such on the go and you want something small to carry, I think I'd look into a netbook. You can install software on it and they are small and light, too. Netbooks are half the price.

I have the wireless iPad and it is lightning fast. When I am traveling, I use a T-Mobile wireless air card that I have. I bought this tiny wireless router to connect me to the air card. I mean, it's so tiny that you can put it in a pocket. I like it because it puts a security barrier between you and the Internet - just like at home. 3G and open wireless connections aren't secure and if you use them, you are at risk. People buy these routers a lot to use in cars, trucks, RV's etc.

I can see why people enjoy it. It's slim - fits in my purse - and os nice to take with me. I carry it to church now instead of my heavy scriptures.

If I was serious about using it away from home in a consistent manner like I use my phone - I might consider paying for the data plan. BUT since I can do the same things I'd do with it on my Android phone, it seems more reasonable for me to keep doing them on my phone and save the money. And - as I've already mentioned - I am very wary about doing too much away from home without a secure wireless router in front of me.

I have just written a post full of contradictions, but I wanted to give you all of my thoughts about it.

I'm glad I have mine. I'm enjoying it very much. But I'm even more glad that I didn't have to buy it because it's kind of expensive. It's cost me quite a bit just to get me a case (necessary), screen protector (necessary), car charger (sort of necessary) and, of course, I have spoiled myself a little with aps.

Hope that helps some.

Thanks, Ro - that helps me a lot - I had wanted one, but not so sure I would invest in one now - I didn't realize what it couldn't do - and really I have no real good reason to buy one - if I won one I would probably love it too, but to buy it - I don't think I will. Thanks for the advice.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a cheaper version of the ipad. There are several tablets out there but I am reading reviews on this stuff and it is freaking me out. They are low and not good! It is a Christmas gift for my 10 year old boy. The idea was to buy him a Kindle because the boy carries books with him wherever he goes and is always reading. I hate spending 140.00 when it only does one thing. We wanted to get him a psp because we felt he was old enough to have one of his own and quit borrowing his sisters, well when she would let him, sisters right! lol So the idea was to see what we could find that would allow him to do a combination of both.

I looked at some Netbooks etc... but I don't want to spend more than 250.00, and that is pushing the limit for how much I think should be spent on one item at his age, and don't want to get into something that we always have problems with.

So I am open to any suggestions!

Does anyone have a recommendation for a cheaper version of the ipad. There are several tablets out there but I am reading reviews on this stuff and it is freaking me out. They are low and not good! It is a Christmas gift for my 10 year old boy. The idea was to buy him a Kindle because the boy carries books with him wherever he goes and is always reading. I hate spending 140.00 when it only does one thing. We wanted to get him a psp because we felt he was old enough to have one of his own and quit borrowing his sisters, well when she would let him, sisters right! lol So the idea was to see what we could find that would allow him to do a combination of both.

I looked at some Netbooks etc... but I don't want to spend more than 250.00, and that is pushing the limit for how much I think should be spent on one item at his age, and don't want to get into something that we always have problems with.

Pebbles-I bought an Acer netbook for $199 on a super sale @ Target back in August. It's cute and has a LONG battery life. I think it is 8 or 10 hours. It is grade to tuck in my purse and run. (I don't use it as much as I thought I would)

Have you considered and iPod touch? My DD has one, and it can do so much!! TONS of apps and wifi. My dd texts on it (some free texting app), and does facebook too. I don't get into all the technical stuff though! I think they start at $149. Of course, the kindle app is free for the iPod touch. (my dd uses that too, but probably wouldn't read a "real book".

I might add, an iPad is on her Christmas list! I tried talking her into a laptop or netbook, but just got a frown in return. ;)

Not sure I helped much, but those are my thoughts.

Pebbles-I bought an Acer netbook for $199 on a super sale @ Target back in August. It's cute and has a LONG battery life. I think it is 8 or 10 hours. It is grade to tuck in my purse and run. (I don't use it as much as I thought I would)

Have you considered and iPod touch? My DD has one, and it can do so much!! TONS of apps and wifi. My dd texts on it (some free texting app), and does facebook too. I don't get into all the technical stuff though! I think they start at $149. Of course, the kindle app is free for the iPod touch. (my dd uses that too, but probably wouldn't read a "real book".

I might add, an iPad is on her Christmas list! I tried talking her into a laptop or netbook, but just got a frown in return. ;)

Not sure I helped much, but those are my thoughts.

Thank you Conda for the help. Sara had actually suggested an iPod touch and that is what I went ahead and purchased. It seems to do everything I wanted it to do and much much more. He will be able to figure it all out in no time, kids are amazing like that. Your dd and my son probably know more about technology then I will in my life time. LOL The iPads look amazing and I would love to have one myself but I am too cheap. I don't think I would pay that much EVER for something for myself (well not work related items anyway) and certainly not him at his age.

Thank you again! I hope you have a very happy holiday season.

Archived