7 replies to this topic

#1 beckaroonaz

beckaroonaz

New Scrapper on the Block

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 11:21 AM

I searched to see if there were any threads about the Picture Keeper...I was not able to find any.

Are there any users? I came across it yesterday. It seems very easy to use. I wrote in to customer support to see what other file types it will back up.

#2 PBarnes

PBarnes

Scrap Girl Messageboard Wise One

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,301 posts
  • Personal Statement:Digitally Addicted!

Posted 29 November 2010 - 12:40 PM

Looks like just a simple flash drive to me. At Best Buy for example, you can by an 8 G flash drive (which would hold 8,000 1 MB photos) for as little as 16.99 and a 16 G for as little as 32.99. The Picture Keeper may have some kind of simple software on it, but I don't think it would be necessary, especially when you are looking at $59.99 and $99.99 for their product. Clever niche marketing though.

I just checked my photo file. I have 28 G. I do have a good deal of them backed up to DVDs but I have Mozy too so that is another form of backup.

I'd love to hear from our computer gurus about how reliable, long term, flash drives are considered to be.

#3 beckaroonaz

beckaroonaz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 01:58 PM

Yes at first I thought the same thing...but you can purchase the software from them (29.99) and format any external hard drive....I have 55 G of scrapbooking supplies and pictures. I just heard back from support and you can format it to find any type of files....anymore thoughts from anyone?

Looks like just a simple flash drive to me. At Best Buy for example, you can by an 8 G flash drive (which would hold 8,000 1 MB photos) for as little as 16.99 and a 16 G for as little as 32.99. The Picture Keeper may have some kind of simple software on it, but I don't think it would be necessary, especially when you are looking at $59.99 and $99.99 for their product. Clever niche marketing though.

I just checked my photo file. I have 28 G. I do have a good deal of them backed up to DVDs but I have Mozy too so that is another form of backup.

I'd love to hear from our computer gurus about how reliable, long term, flash drives are considered to be.

#4 teecee

teecee

Scrap Girl Messageboard Wise One

• TOU Administrator
  • 19,720 posts
  • Personal Statement:Miracles happen to those who believe in them.

Posted 29 November 2010 - 02:09 PM

Will be watching this thread for info.

#5 beckaroonaz

beckaroonaz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 04:35 PM

The company just emailed me a coupon code for a 10% discount....thought that was pretty nice.

#6 beckaroonaz

beckaroonaz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 11:43 PM

I just purchased and downloaded Picture Keeper. It was super easy to format my own hard drive that will be dedicated to this purpose only. I had over 40,000 files and it found and back up all of them in less than one hour. I unplugged my hard drive, downloaded a couple of things to add to my stash to try out the program...plugged it back in, started Picture Keeper and viola! It found them and back up just the new stuff! LOVE IT - One time fee for software and hard drive - no monthly fees

#7 caprimom

caprimom

I'm a pixel crafter!

• Members
  • 4,184 posts
  • Personal Statement:live. laugh. love.

Posted 30 November 2010 - 09:31 AM

I don't feel the need to purchase software to back up my pictures because I already have back ups in place through my EHD and online through Mozy. Never hurts to have options though. Thanks for sharing.

#8 TallCool69

TallCool69

Resident Swede

• Members
  • 3,160 posts

Posted 17 December 2010 - 07:23 AM

I keep my photos safe by having them on duplicate EHD's, a Mozy-backup and on Flickr.com!
Posted Image

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users