Thankful For Autumn Brushes

Linda10408

I recently purchased Lori Cook's "Thankful for Autumn" Brushes - I would love to be able to color parts of the "swag" similar to what Ms. Cook's sample layout looked like. Normally when I use PSP12 I duplicate the layers, hightlight the portion that I want to add color, then use the transparency to obtain the right color but when I try that the duplicate layer becomes darker and when you add color it looks like a glob of color and if you use the transparency to lighten the color it goes back to the original black. Obviously I am doing something wrong - but I don't have a clue - so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Linda, and welcome to Scrap Girls! That is a great brush set, isn't it!!! You have great taste, lol. Lori is a great designer and really knows how to do brushes!

However, I'm the one that did that layout for her. I created it in Photoshop Elements. You can find details on how I did that in my software here: Autumn at the Daniel Boone Homestead, where it's posted in my gallery. It might help you.

Unfortunately, I've never used PSP and I have no idea how to create the effect there. I hope someone can come along and help you - I know we have some loyal PSP users here. Perhaps someone who uses both programs can look at my instructions and interpret them for you in PSP speak.

I am working on this right now. So far what I have done is to open the png layer, copy and save as new image, twice. Delete the contents of one so it is blank. Close the original. I set my selection wand to Opacity, with a tolorance of 4 and contiguous UNchecked. I selected the darker leaves.acorn layer and promoted it to a new layer. I then selected the ribbon layer and promoted it to a new layer. Turn off the leaves/acorn layer and base layer so all you see is the swag. Choose a color for the ribbon layer and fill the blank file. Go to Layer>new mask layer>from image and choose the image with the ribbon layer. Set to Source opacity and leave invert mask data unchecked. Next hide the swag layer and show the leaves/acorns and repeat the add new mask layer. Use a paper with lots of dimension like Shalae's Fall Watercolor papers. Merge the mask group and add a drop shadow.

Hi Linda, and welcome to Scrap Girls! That is a great brush set, isn't it!!! You have great taste, lol. Lori is a great designer and really knows how to do brushes!

However, I'm the one that did that layout for her. I created it in Photoshop Elements. You can find details on how I did that in my software here: Autumn at the Daniel Boone Homestead, where it's posted in my gallery. It might help you.

Unfortunately, I've never used PSP and I have no idea how to create the effect there. I hope someone can come along and help you - I know we have some loyal PSP users here. Perhaps someone who uses both programs can look at my instructions and interpret them for you in PSP speak.

Dee is definitely our PSP guru around here!

Also, there's a tutorial by Ro in the SG University about recoloring dark embellishment templates. Here is the link: Easy Way to Color Black Embellishments. It was written for PS/PSE but maybe it can be duplicated in PSP. The tip was to change the color of the layer to white which makes it easier to colorize.

Archived