Using Digital Frames

I hope this is not a dumb question, but I am a real newbie when it comes to digi scrapping.

I purchased a set of postage-style frames from the boutique, but I don't really understand how to use them.

How do I get the image to fit exactly into the frame? I noticed in PSE 8 under Edit, there is a "paste into selection" command, but I have no clue how to use it.

I know this can't be all that hard, right, gals? Can someone please help, or point me to a tutorial?

Thanks so much!

Sandra

Hi Sandra!

Let me see if I can explain this. Sometimes the frame comes with another layer to act as a clipping mask. If it doesn't, it's no problem. I'll explain one way to do this, but there are a number of ways to accomplish this.

Click on the layer with the frame to select it. Press CTRL + J to duplicate the layer. Now click on the new layer.

Select your Magic Wand tool. At the top, make sure it's set to "Add to Selection", set the tolerance to about 30-35, and click CONTIGUOUS. Now click in the center (picture space) for the frame. Zoom in and check for any little "sparklies;" click on these to add to the selection.

Click Select, Refine Edge, and set it to expand. and click OK. I pushed it all the way to +100 for this test and it worked fine. This expands the selection so there's a little overlap at the edges.

Now click Layer, new Fill Layer, Solid Color, and click OK. You can use a neutral gray, or a color; it won't show later. Now click the Move tool (V) and then click on the adjustment layer in the layers palette. Right-click and choose Merge Down, or click CTRL + E to merge down. Now click on the resulting colored shape layer in the palette--your photo mask, and drag it BELOW your frame.

Move your picture to the layer between the two, and you can clip your photo to the mask layer. You can still move the photo and resize it. Only the portion directly above the mask will be visible.

Don't be daunted--it takes way more time to write and to read this than to do it! If this explanation doesn't make sense, then list the specific product, as I may have the wrong case in mind, and someone else will be along soon. Hope this helps!

Hi Sandra. Glad you asked. You are correct that it's not that hard. It's just learning how to get the software to do what YOU want it to.

Here's what I do when I use a frame:

Place my frame on my LO. I use my Magic Wand (with the contiguous boxed checked!) and click inside the opening of the frame leaving the marching ants around the inside of the frame. I usually EXPAND (SELECT >MODIFY > EXPAND) by 5 pixels or so. I make a new layer below the frame. Then with the new layer active (highlighted) and the marching ants still going, I FILL the area with whatever color...it doesn't matter what color as it won't be seen. Then I click CTRL + D to get the marching ants to go away. Next I bring my photo onto the page and make sure it's on the Iayer above the new patch of color but below the frame. Now I hit CTRL + G and the photo takes the shape of the patch of color. Adjust the photo size by grabbing the corner of the photo and dragging in (be sure Constrain Proportions is checked to avoid distorting the photo). Once you're happy with it you can merge (CTRL+E) the photo and the color patch. I usually link the photo and the frame so they move as a unit on the page.

That seems like a lot, but it's not. Just take it step by step. You'll get really good at this and you won't even have to think about it.

HTH!

Debbie

Thanks for the replies. I will give those methods a try.

But I'm wondering, isn't there a way to do this without having to resize the photo? I used to work in both Photoshop and InDesign and there was some sort of command that made things fit inside a frame (can't recall what it was called now, darnit).

I don't think this is what you want, but there is a way to do it if you are using a PSE frame. It is under the Create choices. (It may only be under the Collage choices.)

To resize a photo in the collage to fit the frame, you right-click or CTRL click the photo. Then you would customize it with your own frame back in the main create mode.

I do not usually do mine this way, so those are just directions for customizing from the collage Create.

So while I was looking that one up, I also learned this: Paste creates a new layer, while Paste into Selection takes your selection and adds into a selection, basically putting what you are pasting into that existing layer.

What I do to resize a photo into a frame is to use the Transform tool (CTRL-T) and shrink it till it is the size of the frame. Depending on the relative size of the frame and photo, I may need to cut off the photo using the Marquee tool. Debbie's method is also good, although I must admit I am lazier and just use the magic wand to grab the space, fill it with the paint bucket on a new layer, and then use it as a clipping mask (CTRL G).

I love that there are so many ways to do things in PSE!

That is more or less what I was looking for. I just discovered the PSE frames the other day and this is very helpful. Thank you!

I don't think this is what you want, but there is a way to do it if you are using a PSE frame. It is under the Create choices. (It may only be under the Collage choices.)

To resize a photo in the collage to fit the frame, you right-click or CTRL click the photo. Then you would customize it with your own frame back in the main create mode.

I do not usually do mine this way, so those are just directions for customizing from the collage Create.

So while I was looking that one up, I also learned this: Paste creates a new layer, while Paste into Selection takes your selection and adds into a selection, basically putting what you are pasting into that existing layer.

What I do to resize a photo into a frame is to use the Transform tool (CTRL-T) and shrink it till it is the size of the frame. Depending on the relative size of the frame and photo, I may need to cut off the photo using the Marquee tool. Debbie's method is also good, although I must admit I am lazier and just use the magic wand to grab the space, fill it with the paint bucket on a new layer, and then use it as a clipping mask (CTRL G).

I love that there are so many ways to do things in PSE!

Archived