Time To Make Christmas Cards

I have designed my Christmas card ready to print but I need 50 or so. Yes 50 we have lots of out of town family. Anyhow I'm thinking I'm ready to print but boy that is a lot of ink. Do you guys have any recommendations? I have left it so last minute too. I was thinking of getting it printed as a picture as Costco but do they print something on the back? I wanted to right something on the back. Or maybe just buy cards to print... too many choices!!! What is a gal to do.

So I thought many of you out there make cards how do you do it?? let me know. Thanks for any advice!!

No advice (I send mine digitally to family and friends). Just wanted to give you kudos for having them done at all! Doesn't seem that late to me. There's still 3 weeks until Christmas. I send mine digitally so I can do them on Christmas Eve...ROTFL!

Costco's printed line on the back is very light and just for ID purposes -- not at all suitable for a card greeting.

I had my 4x6 photos printed @Costco and then glued them onto the front of blank cards (or you could make your own out of cardstock)

You can rubber stamp a greeting onto the inside or print something and glue it on...

Or -- I don't know the size of your layout, but costco has those premaid cards where you just drop in your pics (layout) and it's made into a card.

You can upload and do it all online and then pick up at the store.

I know they print 4x8 greeting cards (the pics used are 4x6) in bulk fairly reasonably and include envelopes, too.

Hope this helps and good luck!

I usually make 4x6 or 8x4 (2 on a 8x10 sheet then trim at home) and have Costco or Walmart print. I don't think they can double side.

This year I an trying Staples for printing, I'm sure they can double side. What I am doing is saving the front and back separately on a stick and taking it in personally to explain what I want. I will wait to see a 1 copy first before I have all my copies printed.

I'd love to hear what you finally decide on.

I ordered ours from Costco, and they were dirt cheap. (With a coupon, about $22 for 75 of them.) I used their blank template, and designed my own. (A Scrap Girl couldn't use their predesigned ones, right? :) )

There's plenty of room to write your own greeting on the back. It's really just a photo (6x8", I think)

Costco's also pretty quick, and the envelopes are nice. Definitely better, IMHO, than printing at home!

Nancy

I usually print my cards at home, so I can control over them. I don't have to worry about ordering too many or too few, and don't need to stress about getting them printed in time. Plus if something goes wrong, I can fix and re-print on my personal computer. I've never tried having my cards printed through an outside company, but I know most people have great results with them.

I also print at home for a lot of the same reasons. I can print them out in groups, so I am not overwhelmed, if I forgot someone it is easy to print another, and I am only bound by even numbers so I can do 22 or 64 or any other number I need.

(I lose my address book every time I move - I think there is an evil address book gremlin - and this time was no exception, so they may go out totally digital this year.)

The last year or two I have designed a 4 x 6 "card" which I have printed either at mpix.com or at my locally-owned photofinisher (I think they do a better job than many of the local chain stores, here anyway). Then I write a Christmas letter (yes, the dreaded form letter;) print it at home on Christmas 8.5 x 11 stationery, and mail it in a regular boring old white business-sized envelope. The 4 x 6 is great b/c it's so inexpensive to have printed and fast, and doesn't require extra postage as some of the larger Christmas photo cards do.

Wow. Once again, thanks for all the advice ladies. We don't have a Costco in South Africa and the stores that I know of only print on photo paper. I think I will go buy some nice paper and just print 8X4. Only so that the front has a picture and then write a note inside. Once again, many thanks.

oK So this is what I did. I had made a 4*6 card on PSE wanted it printed. With all I heard on this forum I decided to give Costco a try. The design your own had a white back ground and put a picture ( my 4*6) on top and a small space for writing. I had a really nice quote I liked " Blessed is the season which engages the whole world in a conspiracy of love!"- Hamilton Wright Mabie... Then wanted "from... and all our names" Well I ordered 50. the font is small I'm sure I will hear about it from my fathers side of the family.. They are aging.

I didn't mind the rest of the card. I would have liked to have more control and made the font larger but it wouldn't fit all I wanted which is strange since the card is all blank. Well go with what you can. The price was right came to $21 after taxes for 50 cards and envelopes.

so that is what I did. thanks for all the advice!

I've made them at home as well. I love printing borderless on 4x6 or 5x7 paper. So much less work! At least compared to taking my little son with me to get them printed. I can print whenever I have a moment. Speaking of cards, I'd better get started soon!

Erica

Archived