Self Portrait

SandiC.

I need a new portrait and don't want to go have one done professionally and am under a huge time constraint....I needed it yesterday. It needs to be a head shot or head and shoulders...and it needs to show my "professional" side, no casual shots here. I set up the tripod and a nice chair in front of the bookcase and there was great natural light in that room. Trouble is, the books behind me were in perfect focus and I'm all blurry....I was using the timer and I do have a remote, so next try I'll use that. I'm getting close, but its just not there yet. I appreciate any hints...oh, yeah, post processing needs to be minimal.

I'm no photographer, but I can figure out unconventional work-arounds once in a while. Perhaps you could put something tall, like a lamp, in the chair you're going to sit (where your face will be) so that the autofocus will find it. Then move it when you sit down?

Hi Sandi!

One more tip...I assume you are using your DSLR? Once you have locked focus on the object you are using in your place you can turn off the auto focus on the lens to prevent the camera from refocusing on something other than you. And I completely agree with Kelly...stop down to at least 5 if not 7 and the depth of field will not be so much of an issue.

Hi Sandi!

One more tip...I assume you are using your DSLR? Once you have locked focus on the object you are using in your place you can turn off the auto focus on the lens to prevent the camera from refocusing on something other than you. And I completely agree with Kelly...stop down to at least 5 if not 7 and the depth of field will not be so much of an issue.

I was going to say the exact same thing.

LOL, I feel a little silly next to all these expert photographer solutions... "put a lamp where your face would be" :embarrassed003:

I guess this is a testimony for the McGyver solution - use what you got. And I don't got no DLSR... ;)

Sandi, lock your focus. :rofl:

LOL. all good suggestions. right now I have a teddy bear propped forward with a throw pillow on top of a bed pillow, just about where my head will be. LOL. This is quite a project. I've go the lamps and reflector about right, So far I think its coming along pretty well. Now I have to go put on make up and a dress shirt and give it a go. Maybe I'll just run over to Wal mart after all.

LOL, I feel a little silly next to all these expert photographer solutions... "put a lamp where your face would be" :embarrassed003:

I guess this is a testimony for the McGyver solution - use what you got. And I don't got no DLSR... ;)

Don't feel silly... I understood what YOU said!!

just seeing this thread.... too funny...i did a layout once of a self portrait a month i did... it is tricky...everyone pretty much gave you the advice i could... i too use a teddy bear as a stand in and also at least 8 for dof..... and try not to be too close to your backround.... are you only using window light? is it enought light? i hope we get to see your photo...and i think a lo with all the photos...the step by step would be fun...

self portraits are a challenge and you should be proud that you challenged yourself

Well, I thought it was a great suggestion.

Well, if I spent about 18 more hours on this I think I could get something good, but the shot I got will be adequate. I wish some of you photographers were closer so I could get a real good shot, but this will serve the purpose. I've had much worse photos taken of me by professionals. I'm not an easy subject. I've included a test shot of Teddy Bear on the pillows. Just for giggles and grins.

Well, I can't get it attached so I'll try later. Thanks for all the suggestions, I used every one of them.

Well, I thought it was a great suggestion.

I thought so too.

Well, if I spent about 18 more hours on this I think I could get something good, but the shot I got will be adequate. I wish some of you photographers were closer so I could get a real good shot, but this will serve the purpose. I've had much worse photos taken of me by professionals. I'm not an easy subject. I've included a test shot of Teddy Bear on the pillows. Just for giggles and grins.

Well, I can't get it attached so I'll try later. Thanks for all the suggestions, I used every one of them.

Looking forward to seeing it Sandi! :)

Can't wait to see them.

I need a new portrait and don't want to go have one done professionally and am under a huge time constraint....I needed it yesterday. It needs to be a head shot or head and shoulders...and it needs to show my "professional" side, no casual shots here. I set up the tripod and a nice chair in front of the bookcase and there was great natural light in that room. Trouble is, the books behind me were in perfect focus and I'm all blurry....I was using the timer and I do have a remote, so next try I'll use that. I'm getting close, but its just not there yet. I appreciate any hints...oh, yeah, post processing needs to be minimal.

Hope you will post your pic that you take here for us to see, Sandi - looks as if you've gotten some awfully good advice!

Late as ever!

I have a general rule of thumb of F8 at 1/125 at 100 ISO. Set this manually, then take a test and adjust. I would also use manual focus to the spot where I am sitting. If you have a light/flash meter they are a great help.

Archived