Ipad Purchase Question

SodScrap

Hello Ladies!!

My DD (age 16) wants an iPad for Christmas!! (who doesn't right, I mean, I'd like one!!) I've been telling her "no way", "no chance" for MONTHS now. My husband I are finally shopping today for the kids. (16 yo and 18 yo) This morning my dh indicates maybe we should get her an iPad. (by the way, he just unloaded the dishwasher for me and is cleaning the kitchen, he is a keeper for sure!!!) Anyway....this is a way crazy amount of money to spend, but I guess that's not the point right now.

1. My question is regarding WHERE to purchase the iPad. Prices seem the same just about everywhere. The nearest Apple store is about an hour away. (wind chills below zero today!!) Target and Best Buy are only 30 minutes away. Is there and advantage to buying directly from the store? Or Online? Is the warranty the same?

2. What extras are necessary? Obviously a screen protector.

3. Is there a knock off that is as good?

Anything else to consider?

Wal mart also has them, at least my local one does. Definitely get apple care for it. Screen protectors and a cover too. Your DD is one lucky young lady. BTW, I prefer the apple store in Leawood, near Towne Center Plaza over the one in KC.

Wal mart also has them, at least my local one does. Definitely get apple care for it. Screen protectors and a cover too. Your DD is one lucky young lady. BTW, I prefer the apple store in Leawood, near Towne Center Plaza over the one in KC.

Thanks for that input Sandi! I assume regardless of where you purchase it, they offer the Apple Care plan, and it's the same price? I love the Zagg protectors! Have them on all our smart phones.

Is there a chance that stores will be out of them?

She is lucky!! (spoiled really!!) More than we would ever spend....I'm amazed he is considering it!! I think I will get her iPod touch since she won't need it. :)

best buy is a good place to buy from. they are really a great company. ... because of the portability, id probably ask about warrenties and what they cover.

Ooh... and there is a knock off... okay not really but VERY similar product ......... but its smaller, and JUST as expensive! I think its by samsung... or something.

Angela N.

LOL..sounds like us. The boys have been asking for Ipod Touch for months and we kept telling them NO Way! Well guess what they got..LOL

I bought mine directly from Apple, I looked all over the place and the prices were all about the same, ordering from them was only $5 more and they engraved each of the Touches (which is helpful for us so we know which is which) They also did free shipping and it came very quickly.

best buy is a good place to buy from. they are really a great company. ... because of the portability, id probably ask about warrenties and what they cover.

Ooh... and there is a knock off... okay not really but VERY similar product ......... but its smaller, and JUST as expensive! I think its by samsung... or something.

Angela N.

The Samsung Tab. I want that one! I like anything powered by Android/Google :)

This is very helpful! I want to get my husband one for Christmas. We never spend this much money on one another but he seemed to enjoy trying out my sister's over Thanksgiving and I think it is time he had a way cool tech toy of his own. (He is a bit of a Luddite but I hope this will be one he likes.)

I looked both online and at the Best Buy store, and all the prices seem to be about the same. I like that bit about the Apple store doing the engraving and set up though. Oh, dear, decisions, decisions. I don't want him to have to set it up, but I get points at Best Buy.

By the way, Best Buy had all kinds of covers and screen protectors, so you can go look at them and see which one would be best. I would definitely recommend some kind of protection - based on my kids, something that does not come off easily lol.

apple products are pretty much going to be constant price wise no matter where you purchase as apple controls prices. its handy to get them to do the set up at the store for you, but apple stores are also VERY busy and just insane this time of year. id go as local as possible. apple care is a must also.

Hi Conda!

I have an Ipad, and I bought the Apple case to go with it, but I chose not to add a screen protector. Because the Ipad is a touch screen it has a LIPOPHOBIC coating, which means it is designed to repel oils secreted from your skin, and make the screen easier to wipe/keep clean.

It has been known for some brands of screen protector to become detached, wrinkled or even permanently stuck because of the reaction with the adhesive and the lipophobic coating. I think part of the value of the using the screen is its "touchability" (if thats a word). You might want to check with the store or with Apple beforehand as to which brands they recommend. Just my ten cents worth!

Archived